7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

In the 7 SS VihtaVuori N165 has been working really well with the heavies- Berger 190 LR Hybrid and the Hornady 190 A-tip.

I've been focusing on the A-tips since I am using this cartridge for long range target shooting (F Class- Open). I am running them with 60.0-60.2gr N165, 0.0015" neck tension, 0.032" off the lands (0.060" off works well too) and Vavg right at 2800fps in a 30" barrel. Just shot a 100shot/600yd match this weekend over 2 days. I had only 3 shots outside of the 6" 10 ring and 65 shots were touching the 3" X ring. A Berger 195gr hunting VLD/N165 would be a great choice in this gun for LR kills and could get over 2900 fps without trashing the primer pockets. Also, the single base VV powders in this burn range are exceptionally kind to the throat area.
Hi Rardoin,

I'm thinking of build a 7ss strictly for western big game hunting. Do you feel it's feeds reliable enough for hunting situations? My plan is to build it on a TIkka T3X action or a Defiance anTI action. thoughts

Hi Rardoin,

I'm thinking of build a 7ss strictly for western big game hunting. Do you feel it's feeds reliable enough for hunting situations? My plan is to build it on a TIkka T3X action or a Defiance anTI action. thoughts
I cannot answer your question as I shoot the 7 SS in a single feed action thus no magazine. I can say that the choice of a Defiant action would be excellent. Rich would be able to answer the feeding question. @elkaholic got your ears on?

I cannot answer your question as I shoot the 7 SS in a single feed action thus no magazine. I can say that the choice of a Defiant action would be excellent. Rich would be able to answer the feeding question. @elkaholic got your ears on?
Lots of people running the SS rounds in AICS style wsm mags such as Accurate mag

Thanks for the information. I guess I will go with the 7saum. I would rather have a hinged floor plate on this build. Unless I was to build it on a T3X, but I think the Defiance ANTI will be my route.

Thanks for the information. I guess I will go with the 7saum. I would rather have a hinged floor plate on this build. Unless I was to build it on a T3X, but I think the Defiance ANTI will be my route.
If you're worried about the 40 degree ss in thatcsetcup, you might do a 30 degree 7 sst. Its shorter than the saum and will run right with it.

Finally got my SS up and running in October, didn't have time to do much load development. But I'm running a 20" barrel, shooting 175 Berger EH's. I did one ladder test to find pressure, I stopped at 62.0gr of RL26, I didn't have any pressure there so could probably increase a little but likely wont as it was the last charge in my ladder and shot 2846 fps avg with a 3.5 sd. And we'll under 1/2" so I just loaded up some to hunt with. So far I've taken a cull buck (white tail), a doe, and 2 hogs (one was massive 140+lbs). All have been bang flops except the doe, she ran about 20 yards. The exits are massive, except one hog that I drilled in both shoulders and bullet didn't exit. 7ss is a **** hammer and the 175 EH's have been fantastic. Highly recommend giving them a try.

Edit: Rich thank you for all your help over the phone and email. This cartridge you've created is incredible. I will definitely be trying more of yours over the years. A 30 sherman mag sounds like a nice project for 2021!

Last edited:
If anyone is still wondering about the 180gr ELD-M in the last two years since i've had my 7 SS i've taken 5 white tail with it. Four Does ranging from 338-525, and today this buck at 640yds. Double lung through and through no recovery. It simply works on whitetail. As a disclaimer sometimes it doesn't product DRT but i've yet to have one run over 50yds. The two I've taken this year (doe at 523yds, buck at 640) both didn't seem hit that well truthfully on reaction. But neither ran very far and the results were devastating.

1609125397880.png

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Well since I last posted asking about a gunsmith for the 7SS I was living in Utah, now I'm in Missoula and wondering about which smith I should look up in MT for my build? I just scored 10lbs of RL26 and 180gr 7mm Berger VLDH's delivered today! If anyone has recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it being new to the area.

Recent Posts