7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

lancetkenyon

I have had my 24" 1:8.4" 7SSfor about a month now. Mine REALLY loves the 184 Hyb. N565 at 100% case fill (62.5gr) is netting me 2838fps so far with 48 rounds down the barrel and no pressure signs. RL23 maxed out at 2798fps with a full case. No pressure again.

2811fps
20211120_091515.jpg

2838fps
20211120_091520.jpg

2861fps
20211120_091524.jpg

Shot a 10 shot group over 2 hours on Friday in the .4s.

Trying some 165 TGKs tomorrow with it too.

highdrum

Hawkins hunter M5 w flush mount mags. Should feed fine with BDL setup w regular wsm window box. I’m not a fan of the centerfeeds. Some stocks allow for 3 down but most don’t from what I’ve seen
I've got a Hawkins M5 oberndorf bdl bottom metal that'll run 3 down in wsm/rum/nosler config so the cfe5 will hold 3. Are you using the billet Hawkins or terminus mags with your flush mount M5 hunter dbm? I tried to make a Terminus billet 3" coal magazine work with my 25sst and was a train wreck. Accurate mag wsm mags feed like butter after a lil tuning.

CPGfan

Using the Hawkins mags, didn’t have any luck w the Terminus in anything but a PRC. Good call on the M5 oberndorf, hadn’t thought of that.

bassett2255

I have been researching what round to get. I live in Maine so I want to be able to kill a deer, bear, and moose with it. My wife and I are going elk hunting next year as well, so I would like it to kill an elk. Which anything that will kill an elk will kill a moose. I am looking at the 7 ss. However as this rifle will be shared by myself and my wife, I am curious what kind of recoil you guys are getting out of that cartridge. Especially the heavier rounds as that is most likely what I would use for elk. My wife currently has a .308 but she wants something a tad softer. I don’t think this would be softer, but I thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Short Case

I have been researching what round to get. I live in Maine so I want to be able to kill a deer, bear, and moose with it. My wife and I are going elk hunting next year as well, so I would like it to kill an elk. Which anything that will kill an elk will kill a moose. I am looking at the 7 ss. However as this rifle will be shared by myself and my wife, I am curious what kind of recoil you guys are getting out of that cartridge. Especially the heavier rounds as that is most likely what I would use for elk. My wife currently has a .308 but she wants something a tad softer. I don’t think this would be softer, but I thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
If I was you I would call Rich Sherman and talk to him. He kill a moose at 900 yards with a 6.5 ss with a 150 gr. Matrix bullet

Last edited:

bassett2255

If I was you I would call Rich Sherman and talk to him. He kill a moose at 900 yards with a 6.5 ss with a 150 gr. Matrix bullet
Moose are easy to kill, just take awhile to die. I’m more worried about an elk. This is my first western hunt and I have 3 potential outfitters. Some outfitters do not allow a 6.5 so I want a little bigger.

I know Rich is on here as elkaholic but I just became a member. Can I message him personally or does he have to give me his info?

Short Case

Moose are easy to kill, just take awhile to die. I’m more worried about an elk. This is my first western hunt and I have 3 potential outfitters. Some outfitters do not allow a 6.5 so I want a little bigger.

I know Rich is on here as elkaholic but I just became a member. Can I message him personally or does he have to give me his info?
I do not know where out west you are going Elk hunting, but I do know a lot of people from Colorado to the west used 6.5ss for Elk
Rich web site is {www.shermanwildcatcatcartridges.com} go to his web site his phone number is in there. It's best to call in the day
time to 5:00 pm mountain time he is one nice gentleman to talk to for information.

Last edited:

lancetkenyon

My wife currently has a .308 but she wants something a tad softer. I don’t think this would be softer, but I thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
I run my 7SS suppressed. 184 Hyb @ 2831 right now. Recoil is a bit more than a .308 Win, but not a lot more. Very manageable. Now, run a 7SS with a good brake, and you will easily be under .308 Win felt recoil.