7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

You guys are killing me. After my last wildcat I swore off of them. At least for the time being. Now here I am with a 7 SAUM on a tac30 action that I don't much care for and a couple hundred pieces of brass. New barrel and maybe a different stock and I'd feel better about. Makes a guy think.... Bruce

Well, that sounds fixable!:D......Rich

Thanks to the fine work of Rhian (bigngreen), the 7mm Sherman Shortmag is up and running. I hope to get out in the next couple days and light it up. I wanted to do a build on a Savage, which I have not done before, and come up with a quality build that did not break the bank. I started by buying a Model 16 in 300 WSM so that the bolt face, action and mag box would all match up with the SS. I purchased a Boyds thumbhole sporter, which was pillar bedded. The barrel is a #4 Krieger 5r, 8 twist. The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 mounted on a 20 moa TPS Rail with Burris Zee rings. The trigger spring was replaced with the lightest available and the trigger feels light and crisp. As a side note, The run out on the entire chamber was measured at 0.0000" (close enough for this owner) I will sell the Savage leftovers including 3x9 nikon scope with BDC, new 300 WSM barrel, and various other parts for about $250. The total cost of the build will then be just over $2000. Here are a few pics of the rifle:
DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1200.jpg

DSCF1204.jpg

Looks awesome Rich!!! Cant wait for a report. Are you including the base, rings, and scope in the $2000 total cost?

Yup, just a little over. Rifle pkg. was $550, barrel $350, stock $99, scope and mounts $870, Rhians labor, $$ and about $250 refund by selling rest of pkg. The M16 Savage is a pkg. deal which includes the scope.

Sounds like a well rounded plan to me:D
These things will reach up the mountain a ways! I had some 140 hybrids loaded to 3300' in my 6.5 the other day and center punched a rock at 920 with 16 moa!!

What power and primer were you using

Some N 570 has been hitting the shelves. First stock I've seen in about 20 months. Saw a note on another forum about a fellow having his BO filled. I called and had in backordered/ About a week later some more came in and they got my order filled. Now would be the time to get some. Check the on-line powder companies and don't be afraid to BO some. Bruce

Some N 570 has been hitting the shelves. First stock I've seen in about 20 months. Saw a note on another forum about a fellow having his BO filled. I called and had in backordered/ About a week later some more came in and they got my order filled. Now would be the time to get some. Check the on-line powder companies and don't be afraid to BO some. Bruce

Thank you Bruce! I might do that......Rich

Well, here is the first data from the 7SS. I got out late and wanted to find out what max was with RL26 while getting the scope zeroed. The numbers on the screen represent 62-65 grains with a 168 berger loaded to 2.898" coal. The 61 grain load was shot #1 and registered 3041'. I did fire 66 grains, but had unplugged my mag speed and did not get a reading. This load was too hot, but did not drop a primer, just had very stiff extraction. This is with a 26" barrel folks. Looks like 3000' with the 180's will be easy! I think the numbers speak for themselves:D.........Rich
DSCF1211.jpg