7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

All I read was that he was shooting a 7 saum and probably had a steady supply of brass for it. I assumed just plain Jane Norma/Rem brass for his 7 saum. We all know what happens when we ASSUME so I'll leave it up to those 2 if its a viable option. I was just trying to be helpful and offer something.
No worries. Being a 6.5 SAUM shooter I originally thought you were referring to that brass specifically. After I made the post I realized my the assumption I made and that it was incorrect. Cheers

Tha
So that is Hornady/gap brass or converted Saum? What I'm wondering is thickness of factory 6.5 brass
thats converted Saum brass. You'd have to check with George on the head stamped 6.5 Gap brass cause there was a .298 reamer that was developed for people who didn't want to turn brass before Hornady started producing it.

I have a 6.5 saum .296 chamber
I have Norma,Remington,and Hornady 6.5 Brass. The Norma is nice but has the least capacity and cannot reach the same speeds as the others. The rem and hornady are basically interchangeable, very close in weight and capacity. The new hornady is good stuff, necks are .0145 and work perfectly in the 296 neck.
I am planning a 7 ssm and I am looking forward to trying both Norma and hornady to see if hornady has a speed advantage in this chambering also.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 saum .296 chamber
I have Norma,Remington,and Hornady 6.5 Brass. The Norma is nice but has the least capacity and cannot reach the same speeds as the others. The rem and hornady are basically interchangeable, very close in weight and capacity. The new hornady is good stuff, necks are .0145 and work perfectly in the 296 neck.
I am planning a 7 ssm and I am looking forward to trying both Norma and hornady to see if hornady has a speed advantage in this clambering also.
You'll be able to try Sherman brass this summer! (ADG)

Is forming brass from Saum the same procedure as Whitley's SLR line ? Just push shoulder back / down to 40* on parent and fire or is neck trimming required first ? I'm in the same boat as Rampedraptor with the brass ( Canada ), would definitely have to form brass from Saum . You had indicated forming from 300 Saum would be a turned neck correct ?

Is forming brass from Saum the same procedure as Whitley's SLR line ? Just push shoulder back / down to 40* on parent and fire or is neck trimming required first ? I'm in the same boat as Rampedraptor with the brass ( Canada ), would definitely have to form brass from Saum . You had indicated forming from 300 Saum would be a turned neck correct ?
To form your own you have to push it back with a 30 degree die, shorten the length, outside turn, and ream the inside to do it correctly.

Last edited:
Has anyone hooked up an RSI PressureTrace system to a barrel in this chambering? Might be interesting... ;)
Who cares? If it works fine, and isn't blowing primers, and not prematurely wearing out brass, then it's all good. I'm sure if Rich ever has it standardized, it will have to be tested.

Everything runs great for them, from what I've heard, but I am a bit curious what pressures they are running at, ONLY because I think it will prove that a lot of cartridges are still SAAMI spec'd at pressures that are a lot lower than what they can handle with modern brass and powders.