7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

Hey.... U guys are tearing me up (as in ripping vs crying like a baby:))

As Mr. Dillon MT knows I'm between barrels on one of my barrel eaters and am licking those wounds sufficiently to not want to do that again. The remorse is pretty much like losing a good dog.....

Until now I was pretty much settled on a 7 300 Win Mag after going cheap are seriously considering rechambering one of the shot out barrels to 270 WSM.

Then here comes this 7ss..... Only lacks a little of the velocity of the 7 300 and if I could live with the 338 RUM vs the 338 Lapua I could most probably live with that, wouldn't cha think...:)

In a moderate weight 28" 8 twist bbl it otta be decent for smoking critters deer size and below from a fairly decent distance.

I have an everything ready to go except for a barrel, chamber and dies.

Keep us posted on velocities but barrel life is the over riding consideration on this one.

The two barrels gave up the ghost, one at ~ 900 and the second one < 600. The 7 300 has been known to get 700 w/o degradation but its uncharted beyond that AFAIK.

PS: I'd be perfectly satisfied with the 168 pushing 3200. Just say'n.....

Hi Roy (Mr. 270:D)
There is also a 270 SS being built very soon by a guy who just built a long action 270 Sherman. "Just in case a 270 suits your fancy better"
He reached 3200 with the 165 matrix in a long throated version!! ...........Rich

Rich, will you be offering the 7mm SS in a no-turn neck design? I don't neck-turn for anything I own, and would rather not start now, but this 7mm SS has peaked my interest since we first discussed it way back when you were getting the 6.5 SS up and going.

Rich, will you be offering the 7mm SS in a no-turn neck design? I don't neck-turn for anything I own, and would rather not start now, but this 7mm SS has peaked my interest since we first discussed it way back when you were getting the 6.5 SS up and going.

If we get the head stamped brass available we will. Otherwise, it needs to be turned......Rich

Hi Roy (Mr. 270:D)
There is also a 270 SS being built very soon by a guy who just built a long action 270 Sherman. "Just in case a 270 suits your fancy better"
He reached 3200 with the 165 matrix in a long throated version!! ...........Rich

Shut the heck up!!! Rich......My mind is boggled at the moment. If this keeps up I'm gonna hafta go to counseling. :roll eyes:

It would be less expensive and most probably more wise to continue the 270 route but I'm kinda into the "leading edge" stuff. That's why I shoot out so many barrels.gun)

But hey, with the existing RUM bolt face I could go cheap and fast with the 270 SS and get a nice new Pac Nor in 7 SS and do the switch barrel thing. That would help me maintain may "kewlest guy on the street" status...:D:D

The gap in my arsenal is a long reaching mountain rig. These hills are getting steeper all the time. Plus my donkeys are slow....:roll eyes:

Also Dillon is just up the road. Oh, and you're just down the road. I could bug you for some personal experience with them. "Have rifle, reloading equipment, camping gear and other stuff" will travel.......

Shut the heck up!!! Rich......My mind is boggled at the moment. If this keeps up I'm gonna hafta go to counseling. :roll eyes:

It would be less expensive and most probably more wise to continue the 270 route but I'm kinda into the "leading edge" stuff. That's why I shoot out so many barrels.gun)

But hey, with the existing RUM bolt face I could go cheap and fast with the 270 SS and get a nice new Pac Nor in 7 SS and do the switch barrel thing. That would help me maintain may "kewlest guy on the street" status...:D:D

The gap in my arsenal is a long reaching mountain rig. These hills are getting steeper all the time. Plus my donkeys are slow....:roll eyes:

Also Dillon is just up the road. Oh, and you're just down the road. I could bug you for some personal experience with them. "Have rifle, reloading equipment, camping gear and other stuff" will travel.......

Sounds like a well rounded plan to me:D
These things will reach up the mountain a ways! I had some 140 hybrids loaded to 3300' in my 6.5 the other day and center punched a rock at 920 with 16 moa!!

Inletted and ready to pillar.
IMG_20150628_201621814.jpg

Inletted and ready to pillar.
View attachment 49492

Rhian,

Good looking rig. What's she weigh?

I'm really into the thumbhole stock. But I'm a bit particular.

I have an an original Fajen that the top of the butt pad is even with the center of the bore. Not the drop from the cheek piece as in the one shown.

Anyone make one like that nowadays? With the line of bore lower this is no muzzle jump. Everything is straight back. Great for spotting shots.

Why no brake? I'm thinking no brake if shooting 168s but I recall 3000 FPS 150s out of an '06 bringing a bit of a frown to my face.....

This has had me thinking...and I've realized that something I've said a few times before is not true.

That being...that the golden age of wildcatting passed long ago...I was wrong every time I said it.

But....
This 7 SS is the first new thing I've heard of since the 280 Remington that interests me...I like 7mm's, I'm a deer hunter, don't need anything any bigger...the 280 has always been a really good round, then I found the 280 Ackley which really is an improvement on the 280, even if only slight...it is an improvement....same for the 7mm SUAM, its just a short 280 Ackley.

And now this....the 7mm Sherman Short...a short 7mm designed the way the rest should have been (good neck length, not hugely overbore, and short)...I like it! I believe it will deliver the goods...

I doubt I'll own one since I just spent $3,800 on a 280 Ackley, and I'm not disappointed in my Ackley, its found its home...I love that thing!

But I will follow this with interest!

Rich
That's looking good! Figured I better tag in on this. I can't wait for some range reports.
If Brux ever decides to get my barrel done (again) and not lose it this time I can get the 270 SS going and start a thread for it.

This has had me thinking...and I've realized that something I've said a few times before is not true.

That being...that the golden age of wildcatting passed long ago...I was wrong every time I said it.

But....
This 7 SS is the first new thing I've heard of since the 280 Remington that interests me...I like 7mm's, I'm a deer hunter, don't need anything any bigger...the 280 has always been a really good round, then I found the 280 Ackley which really is an improvement on the 280, even if only slight...it is an improvement....same for the 7mm SUAM, its just a short 280 Ackley.

And now this....the 7mm Sherman Short...a short 7mm designed the way the rest should have been (good neck length, not hugely overbore, and short)...I like it! I believe it will deliver the goods...

I doubt I'll own one since I just spent $3,800 on a 280 Ackley, and I'm not disappointed in my Ackley, its found its home...I love that thing!

But I will follow this with interest!

The 280 A.I. is a great cartridge. I shot a 6.5 A.I. for a lot of years, and in fact, was the reason why I created the original 6.5 Sherman. My 280 Sherman holds a couple more grains than the 280 A.I., but the 280 was such a good design that there wasn't as much to improve as there was over the 6.5, which was '06 length.........Rich

Rich
That's looking good! Figured I better tag in on this. I can't wait for some range reports.
If Brux ever decides to get my barrel done (again) and not lose it this time I can get the 270 SS going and start a thread for it.

Ya, I am eager to see the 270 version built. It should be a GREAT performer with the 165 Matrix at 3100'.......Rich

Rhian,

Good looking rig. What's she weigh?

I'm really into the thumbhole stock. But I'm a bit particular.

I have an an original Fajen that the top of the butt pad is even with the center of the bore. Not the drop from the cheek piece as in the one shown.

Anyone make one like that nowadays? With the line of bore lower this is no muzzle jump. Everything is straight back. Great for spotting shots.

Why no brake? I'm thinking no brake if shooting 168s but I recall 3000 FPS 150s out of an '06 bringing a bit of a frown to my face.....

Hi Royi......Rhian is a busy boy these days so I will answer some of the ??? and let him correct me later:D The rifle will weigh 9 lbs., or slightly over I am thinking. There will be a TPS 20 moa picatinney rail, Burris Z mounts, and a 6.5-20 Zeiss scope added.
It does not have a brake because the stubborn old man that had him build it thinks he doesn't need one.......Rich

You guys are killing me. After my last wildcat I swore off of them. At least for the time being. Now here I am with a 7 SAUM on a tac30 action that I don't much care for and a couple hundred pieces of brass. New barrel and maybe a different stock and I'd feel better about. Makes a guy think.... Bruce