7 mm SAUM build ideas

Will a half inch in action length between short and long make that much difference? Eat one less cheese burger for lunch.
Building anything in RSAUM on any short actions is a huge mistake: the actual weight-savings are non-existing and you're going to severely handicap the cartridges potential by forcing it to stay at basic .280Rem specs!
If you're on a tight budget and want something that always works, feeds & ejects like butter and never lets you down (no matter what every other brainwashed keyboard shooter & his dog tells you), I would advice you to refrain from using any Remy platform actions! There are the usual 1/2 a dozen problems or more which you'll have to take care off before you even get it up to other actions quality standards, which will severely increase your costs: instead buy a T3 Magnum action and use their standard .300WM/7RM magazines. I did lots of em; even made up an internal slightly 'oversized' mold-block, which I put inside the disassembled mag.. give it a few boiling water/cold water rinse treatments; this way I can expand the magazines inside wall space by .004" to .006", so it fits & feeds the bigger diameter SAUM CASES perfectly! However: I no longer bother with the processe, since it will work fine too without doing this xtra bit of magazine expansion work! The only 'mental' handicap to overcome for some is that it will only take 2 RSAUM rnds in the mag., plus the one in the chamber, which brings it to 3 rnds: all you need as the one rnd only is needed to do the kill! Use a longer throated reamer which allows you to seat the bullets out to their full potential & the most ideal seating length, but one that still fits your magazine comfortably! You can further customize your built later on!
For those on a real small budget: there are old European gunmaking school-tricks to reuse your old 6.5Sw/7RM brl for such RSAUM/GAP/SST projects, with no adverse effects, other then loosing about 3/4"-1" of brl length, but sorry, I won't get into that one on here!

hi David, im 6'2" and 190#, deadlift over 400, bench nearly 300 and run 6:30 miles at 43 years old. Certainly nothing to write home about, but perhaps adequate to carry a rifle... I did not write this to boast, just to explain my issue is not the gunweight. It is more of the length of the gun getting caught in trees and alders.
Thank you regardless.
any thought on remington mod seven once produced in 7 mm SAUM?
I have a Model Seven in .308 win. It is a very nice gun to carry while dogging or pushing a bush. I have not had any problems with it in 28 years.

Thank you guys. This is fantastic information. I like to read that some of you have great experience with Rem mod 7s. I thought I have one of those at a reasonable price, but it is an auction and is quickly getting out of hand. So I might be on the lookout for a bit longer. I would not mind tore barrel a Tikka T3x SS action, but they seem to be never available for sale, or at least I am having serious difficulties finding them.
Regardless that you for tremendous amounts of helpful information, Ferenc

These posts really whetted my appetite for a 7 SAUM but perhaps I should start with a pre owned one to figure out what I really need. Anyone has information on one for sale for a reasonable price? Thank you!

I forgot to mention that the factory Model 7 magazine definitely limits your seating depth with the 7 SAUM. Mine has always shot very well, but I measured the distance to the lands one day and didn't even bother to write it down - it was so different from the OAL that would fit in the mag that it was readily apparent visually.

I stopped load development when I found a load that gave me .75 MOA. A 140 Accubond or Partition at 3000 fps is basically a short action 280, but the gun is reasonably light and I don't want to lose any more powder space with longer, heavier bullets.

Another one to consider is a legendary arms works (LAW) I have 2 (1 short 6cm, 1 long 7 blaser improved) I believe they are $1100 now, but that includes bottom metal and timney trigger. My blaser is basically identical to sherman 7 max (saum), 24" 1:8 proof carbon shoots 195 at 2840-2920, 180/184 to >3000, don't remember 175 speed. Build it on medium or long.

If you go short action go wyatts box and 7 SAUM. If you are going Medium like a tikka or long action you might as well make a 7wsm to get the bigger case and more velocity, especially if you want to shoot 180 gr + bullets

That sounds awesome. I do own a blaser R8, maybe I should sell the 300 wby barrel and buy a 7 mm blaser barrel. I did not think about that.

That is funny. I hail from Europe and I had a friend with 7 mm blaser rifle, but -ignorantly- i did not grasp the real abilities of the cartridge.

I have one built on a tikka t3 and it shoots very well
McMillan a3 stock and hardy carbon barrel @ 22"
I was actually thinking of selling it if you are interested

Dear All,

I am contemplating a rifle build and more and more leaning towards the 7 mm SAUM chambering. What action would you use, ideally under a grand? Barrel length and twist rate?
The rifle will be used for hunting.
thank you for the insight, Ferenc

I am intrigued by the changeable bolt head & R700 footprint on this action.

I left a voicemail with them early this week but haven't heard back.

I would take a hard look at this one if I could find out more about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.