7 mm mag bullet for Elk

I live in NY State so no online ordering for me. A buddy came to my aid. My gun shot well with a box of Hornady ELD-X 162 gr. Found some bullets and primers at a local shop and he is loading them up for me since I was able to help repair his bass boat. Will get back here and let you all know how I make out and the recipe. Thanks Ed

Y'all should really think about ditchin' those dems. They are a ball and chain around your ankles. They are to everyone. Always have been...

My Cooper 92 Backcountry in 7RM loves Barnes 145 LRX bullets. Velocity is 3345fps and shooting in the .1s at 100 yards. This will be some awesome elk medicine in 2 weeks.

This bulltet at 3000fps has worked great on elk the last 2 years out to 500 yards. Excited to see what the extra 345 can do.

Brian
Any load details? Sounds like a great load..

If u r looking for 168gr Berger VLD. Prophet River Firearm has them. I think it said 65.00 a box. I haven't bought factory ammo in 16 + yrs.

The only option you had there Is point at an elk is the 168 Berger's everything which I've seen a lot of elk taken with, everything else is a liability, if it was all I had I'd be looking for a shot that would let me hit them perfect through the slats and allow you to then keep putting bullet in them. 140 gr bullets in a 7 Mag are not a good combo on elk.
I think it depends on the bullet. There's a big difference between 139 or 140 grain lead core bullet and a mono all copper 140 gr. on elk. My last two bulls were taken with 140 gr. Barnes TTSX. First was at 410 yards, hit in the heart, walked three steps and fell over. Second was walking at 280 yards, took 2 in the chest. First one stopped him in place and the second made him collapse in place. Switching to Hammer bullets this season because they are designed to leave larger exit wounds than the Barnes, but still wouldn't have any problem using Barnes if the Hammers weren't available. Just my opinion based on my experiences. Others may differ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.