7 mm mag bullet for Elk

I shot my first elk with a 140 gr. Barnes in 7mm RM at about 250 yards. It worked fine, but didn't exit, so there was no blood trail. I seen two bulls shot with 168 Bergers from a 7mm WSM at around 340 yards, and it was a joy to watch. Two steps and down. That said, you have to hit where you aim.

If you don't handload, I suggest factory ammo that uses 160+ grain bullets in Sierra Tipped Game King, Nosler Accubond or Partitions, Federal trophy bonded, Barnes TTSX or Berger VLD Hunting.
After a lot of fun experimentation, my wife's 7mm Rem Mag (Old School SAKO Finnbear) loves 160 gr Federal trophy bonded bullets ahead of 68 grs RL-25, Fed 215 primer and Lapua brass. Sub MOA and smokes outta there at about 2950.

If you want to shoot factory ammo, I'd try to find Federal 160gr trophy bonded or 150gr trophy copper. The trophy copper was very accurate in my factory Savage 111 7mm Rem mag. If you are going to reload, you have a lot of options but I wouldn't use any of that ammo you have on Elk.

I killed an elk standing broadside at 294 yds with one shot out of a Cooper single shot 6.5 x 284. 142 grain Berger bullet. He took one or two drunken steps and fell.

Midway has these "available" now.

The 150 TTSX factory rounds shoot very well in most rifles. I'm getting nearly consistent 5/8" with them and they have worked really well on elk for me.

I wouldn't use the 139gr. bullets To light in weight and construction! If these are all you can find go with the Core-Lokts!

Here is a thread showing pix of recovered bullets and I think there may be some CoreLokts within the 8 pages among many others, that I thought too, would be too light in construction, including some match bullets. My friend and his sons kill elk about every year using a 130gn .277" Federal Fusion, which is less than 139gn. I think the thread is rather eye opening even if you disagree with any bullet choice, they all killed.

the elk in that picture was dead before it hit the ground with a 175gr. ELDX

Attachments

• 20190831_131834.jpg
    20190831_131834.jpg
    894.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 20190831_132115.jpg
    20190831_132115.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 158
The issue is not the bullet weight alone, when you buy 140 gr class bullets loaded in a 7 Mag you gotta choose wisely on construction, your pushing them so fast you will have some fail, just fact, you can fill a thread with perfect bullet performance BUT on elk there are a lot more failures than most guys out there know.

I've seen the Hornaday American whitetail bullets come apart on deer. I do not trust them at all. This wasnt high velocity either - the hunter was slinging them out of a 6.5CM...

I find that It's easy to get overwhelmed by bullet technology and settling on a bullet that is applicable to your hunt. Add to that the shortages right now, its tough to get the perfect setup. IMO, the ammo that shoots the best groups is the ammo you go with. It will help ensure a more humane kill should your get the chance to pull the trigger. And it helps with your confidence. BTW, that 139 gr InterLock is a fantastic bullet.

I live in NY State so no online ordering for me. A buddy came to my aid. My gun shot well with a box of Hornady ELD-X 162 gr. Found some bullets and primers at a local shop and he is loading them up for me since I was able to help repair his bass boat. Will get back here and let you all know how I make out and the recipe. Thanks Ed

The 139gr Interlock is a great deer bullet on mild cartridges, definitley not an elk bullet especially on a magnum cartridge, it'll fragment at close range and fail to reach the vitals. This is well known.

Federal Premium has several offerings in the 7mm Rem Mag, I believe it has three different options with bonded bullets, 140gr Accubond, 140gr Trophy Bonded Tip and 160gr Accubond. Also offers the 165gr Sierra Gameking, this one is a bit tougher design than the normal 160gr offered by Sierra as a component and will work great for Elk. Also offers the Partition bullet and several other options.

Whether its just an elk hunt or the elk hunt, the animal deserves a quick and humane kill so choosing the right bullet is key. Last thing you want is a lost wounded animal, trust me I know.

Stay safe

Choose a bullet that will work at any angle. Berger? Go in 4 inches and blow. Woodleigh, swift, nosler partition, barnes triple shock. These are a few. As Bob hagel said. Use a bullet that will work in the worst circumstance. In a factory load I would try the federal terminal ascent. Solid shank bonded tipped. Slippery and will never give shallow penetration . I have lost game with soft bullets. Never with hard bullets. I am a 2 holes guy.

My Cooper 92 Backcountry in 7RM loves Barnes 145 LRX bullets. Velocity is 3345fps and shooting in the .1s at 100 yards. This will be some awesome elk medicine in 2 weeks.

This bulltet at 3000fps has worked great on elk the last 2 years out to 500 yards. Excited to see what the extra 345 can do.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.