7 MM 162 AMax

Tim Behle

I'm sure some one here has "Been there, done that" I'm trying to find a powder that will
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Fill a 7 MM Remington Magnum case to the shoulder.
<LI>Push a 162 grain AMax bullet at 3000+ FPS out of a 26" barrel.
<LI>Preferably not a temperature sensitive powder[/list]

I've been playing with some RL25 this morning. It doesn't quite fill the case as full as I'd like it, but it is pushing the bullet out at a 3126 Ave speed. Right now, I'm just playing with the seating depth. But the last two three shot groups have had 2 holes nearly touching, and the third hole several inches high. ( 300 yards ) The thermometer said 82 degrees as I came in to write this. Is it already getting to warm to use this powder? Or could something else be causing me the flyers?

Tim,
I would give H1000 a try, it's less temperature sensitive and I think the burn rate is close to or maybe slightly slower than RL25. Maybe someone else out there can comment on this. Take care, the WCC872 should be here by friday.
Wayne

Wayne,

That sounds pretty good, let me know if it does. There is a gun show ( I think ) up there on Saturday. If so, I'm planning on going. If you'll be around, I'll meet up with you before or after to pick it up.

Tim,
Yes there is a gun show at the Tucson Convention Center Sat.& Sun.. If it does arrive by Fri. I will post here and we can discuss where and when to meet as I'm planning to go also.
Wayne

in my 7 rem mag pushing 162's, i've had great luck w/ 70 grains of rl-25 (this is a max load)...this load fills the case fairly well (win), and gets around 3050 f/s in my 24" rifle.

as for temperature sensitivity... i do most of my serious load testing in the summer (typically in the 90's), then verify its quality before deer season (temps typically in the 40's or lower). for the most part, rl-25 does pretty well...accuracy remains, velocity is acceptable...

i've been curious about retumbo, so if anybody has first-hand accounts w/ it, i'd like to hear about it...

dakotasin,

I used 68 grains of Retumbo to push the 175 Noslers at 2864.

I shot a three shot group under an inch at three hundred yards, then ran out of powder.
frown.gif

I'm hoping to find some more this coming weekend.

Tim,
Powder arrived today, let me know where and when you would like to meet saturday.
Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts