7 lrm Thoughts

Jjeffhunter

I've been debating on getting a new rifle in 7lrm the biggest gripe I've heard of is brass selection anyone have experience?

Yep I do. I had one built by Dallas Lane and it was one of the most accurate rifles that I have ever owned. It would literally shoot one hole groups at 100 yards. I really liked this round, however as mentioned brass quality from Hornady is what killed this round from growing in popularity. I was lucky to get two firings before the primer pockets were too loose to hold a primer. My advice is stay away from rounds that are mostly supported from Hornady and go with calibers that you can get good brass such as Lapau.

Just my experience and opinion.
That bull in my Avatar was killed at 650 yards with a 7LRM

Yep I do. I had one built by Dallas Lane and it was one of the most accurate rifles that I have ever owned. It would literally shoot one hole groups at 100 yards. I really liked this round, however as mentioned brass quality from Hornady is what killed this round from growing in popularity. I was lucky to get two firings before the primer pockets were too loose to hold a primer. My advice is stay away from rounds that are mostly supported from Hornady and go with calibers that you can get good brass such as Lapau.

Just my experience and opinion.
That bull in my Avatar was killed at 650 yards with a 7LRM
Thanks for the reply that's what I wanted to know just wanted to hear it from someone who actually owned one looks like a great caliber wish it was a little more supported I'll probubly just get another 7mm remind mag

Thanks for the reply that's what I wanted to know just wanted to hear it from someone who actually owned one looks like a great caliber wish it was a little more supported I'll probubly just get another 7mm remind mag
Nothing wrong with a 7mmRM... It's not new and fancy, but it's been getting the job done since '62. ;)

If you want a bit more "oomph", the .28 Nosler or 7mm STW will do the trick nicely.

Last edited:
You should consider the 7-300 Win Mag. I have owned a SAUM, WSM, Rem Mag, 28 Nos, and two 7-300s. My 7-300s would push 180s to the same node as the 28 with 5 grains less powder.
A 7-300 would be one I would like to play with I've no problem finding good brass for that one

I should have mentioned I have two buddies with LRMs. If good brass was available it might be my favorite 7. As it is I would have to say the 7-300 is my favorite.

This is why I wish there was good brass. If so, I would get another one.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.