7 Dakota (Thunder) is ready for elk

Ernie

SPONSOR
Elk Season Opens October 1st, and this is my set-up for this year.
After putting on a different set of rings, I did my first drop confirmation with the 7mm Dakota XP-100 last week, out to 1000 yards.
400 yards
fGehXsgl.jpg

500 yards
Y6tX0rtl.jpg

750 yards
BYXYTtCl.jpg

1000 yards
Lx8slFcl.jpg

Reloader 33, CCI Large Rifle BR primer, 175 grain ELD-X at 2925 fps.
I did not chronograph the day I did the drops, but I will recheck that since my numbers were different than I expected at 750 yards on out.
Chris Rhodes/Bayside Custom Gunworks built it and it is a shooter!
Shooting was done off a Harris BR bipod, and a small Holland field bag.
When you watch when I'm putting shots on at 1000 yards I made mention I need to come down 3/4 of a minute, and I think I just simply did not do it, and then after the second shot (neck area) I did.

I hooked up my phone to my Burris spotting scope, that is their SCR MOA reticle in it.
Since I did not have a spotter with me, I could just replay the video and know where my impacts were when I got out to 1000 yards.

Today, after adjusting my ballistic software, I wanted to have one more round of drop confirmations out to 1000 yards with my center-grip 7mm Dakota XP-100.
Elk season opens on October 1st. Today I shot at 3, 4, 5, 6, 750, and 1K.
I also introduced a young teenager to XP's.
His first ever live round was at 500 yards and he did a great job.

My videos are at 750 yards and then at 1000 yards.

The shot at 1000 yards maybe hard to see but it shot perfect for wind and maybe about an inch and a half low, maybe 2" low.

750 yards was spot on for drop and drift.
Season opens on Monday the 1st, and I plan to be in the field. I have 2-cow tags to fill in that area.

I love that combo, the 7 Dakota seems like the perfect fit in a SP.

For taking videos, have you tried using a GoPro with the spotting scope? I use a GoPro Hero4 mounted to my spotter with a Phonskope adapter. I can control the camera and watch the video on my phone without getting up from my shooting position. Since I typically shoot alone, this lets me act as my own spotter.

I love that combo, the 7 Dakota seems like the perfect fit in a SP.

For taking videos, have you tried using a GoPro with the spotting scope? I use a GoPro Hero4 mounted to my spotter with a Phonskope adapter. I can control the camera and watch the video on my phone without getting up from my shooting position. Since I typically shoot alone, this lets me act as my own spotter.

Can you post a pic of that set-up?
Which spotting scope?

I use it on a Swaro ATS 20-60x65. The adapter is sold in two parts, one that's specific to your optic and one that's specific to your device.
BH2yyTW.jpg

L6Ob1p8.jpg

Finally got around to ordering that today. Thanks again for the heads up!

No problem. How did the elk hunt go?

I was just rereading your post and noticed that you were using one of the Burris spotting scopes. How do you like it? I've been trying to find an eye piece with a reticle for my Swaro but there's just nothing out there. I might be willing to give up some optical clarity just to have a reticle in the spotter, and I've heard that the new Burris scopes are actually really nice.

What uses will the spotting scope be doing?
Field shooting and bench work or hunting up in the mountains?

Just field shooting really. I had a Mk 4 spotter with the TMR reticle that worked pretty well, but it left a lot to be desired optically. The Swaro has great glass, but I miss the reticle when shooting.

I like the Burris scope for field shooting-Great reticle, and it is easy to give quick corrections to shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.