7.82 War Bird ?

Marine sniper

I was out at the range today and a guy was shooting one of these, is Lazzeroni still in business ? anybody here shooting one of these. Side by side it looks like it would be just shy of my 30-378 in case capasity without the belt. Who makes brass for them, still availible ?

John

Yes Lazzeroni is still in buisness. Lazzeroni is the only company that I know of that makes brass for their cartridges. I dont know if other cases can be fire formed for it or not.

I worked with the 8.59 Titan for a while and I wasnt impressed. The brass is extreemly expensive and the quality of it sucked. Velocities were ok but should have been better.

Personaly, with a case that large in mind, I would rather use the 338 Lapua mag or another version of it such as the 30-338 LM improved. You will get a tad less velocity but much better brass quality and durability. The RUMs are another decent choice. The brass isnt any better than the Lazzeroni but it doesnt cost an arm or leg to buy it.

Yes, they're still in business. They are the only source of the brass. The brass is nicely uniform, but doesn't last very long and is very expensive. The factory loads are good, but not long-distance-great.

I've owned and used the Firebird extensively, and the Warbird a bit. Nice rounds, and Sako made a nice TRG-S for them, but I ended up selling them to someone willing to spend big bucks for the "fastest 7mm" and the "fastest 30 caliber".

I'm happy with the 300 WinMag and a drop table -- though I'm having fun working up loads for the 338 Lapua, too.

Currently I own 3 Lazzeroni rifles; 2 Warbirds and the 338 short mag called the Galaxy. I have had and been shooting the Warbird since 2000. The claimed velocities are absolutely real but anytime you are burning over 100 grains of powder, everything must be perfect for the rifles to shoot well. There have been brass issues in the past that have been fixed and since 2007, all has been well with these proprietary Lazzeroni cartridges that are expensive to shoot. I have extensive load information if another handloader is interested in both 308 Warbird and 338 Galaxy. The company used to be difficult to deal with and thankfully I have not had to deal with them recently. John Lazzeroni does a good job e-mailing and thoughtfully answering technical questions. If speed is your thing the 7mm Firebird and 308 Warbird are awesome though extra thought needs to be applied during bullet selection to allow for high impact velocity. Would I do it all over again with these proprietary cartridges? Maybe

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.