7.82 Patriot

Carlbeard

I and and friend have purchased two of the Savage model 16 stainless boltguns in the Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot. We have used all of the recommended loads provided by Lazzeroni for this particular round and have tried our on variations. Both of the guns will shoot consistent 3/4" groups at 100 yards. We would like to tighten the groups up if possuble without and mechanical modifications. Does anyone have any reloading data that they may wish to share with us? I like to shoot 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips while my friend likes to shoot the Barnes / Lazzeroni nickel plated 130 grain bullet. Any help would be appreciated[*]null
smile.gif

You might want to put your question in a different section. There are several things that one can do to get a rifle to shoot better.

Maybe try Bullet, Barrel or Long Range section.
-----------
Zod

Carlbeard,

In my opinion, 3/4" is pretty good for a cartridge the size of the Patriot, especially when you consider that you are both using light for bore bullets not known for hyper accuracy. The Nosler BT is a fairly accurate bullet but I suspect that it was chosen for velocity not accuracy. I didn't see a 130 gr. coated bullet on John's site. Maybe it is the 150 coated Barnes? It seems to me that if improved accuracy was your goal, I would suggest looking at some tested Match bullets in a heavier weight like 180, 190, 200, 210. I like the JLK's and Bergers for the 30 calibers that I shoot. I would also take a whack at shooting at 200 yards or further to see what kind of accuracy you can get then. Sometimes a particular combination in a high energy cartridge needs more distance to stretch its legs and show what it can do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> We would like to tighten the groups up if possible without and mechanical modifications. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that you could check the scope mounts for being tight as well as the receiver screws but not over tight on the receiver screws. You don't want to twist or torque the receiver. Then I would check to see if the barrel is completely free floated.

Is the crown centered and sharp?

Is the scope centered and square?

Is the scope of a high enough quality to be able to deliver better or best accuracy?

Is your brass prepped for being accurate? Necks straight, case mouths true to the neck?

Have you tried moving the bullets closer to or farther away from the lands?

Is your front/rear rest capable of holding for better groups?

Please don't be offended but, are you and your friend capable of better than 3/4" groups with this rifle and cartridge? Some folks aren't simply because that is a lot of cartridge for most to handle.

Sometimes there just isn't a magical load that will offset something mechanical that has to be done.

One the most important things that should be done to a rifle is to have it bedded correctly. This will provide consistency if nothing else. Pillars are a nice option with bedding.

Have the chamber and throat checked. The chamber and throat need to be concentric to each other and also with the bore line and crown.

That's all that I can think of right now.

Best of luck!

[ 07-08-2004: Message edited by: Crispin Goodall ]

[ 07-08-2004: Message edited by: Crispin Goodall ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.