7.82 Battlestar

Have heard nothing more then you about the intial idea posted on his web sight.

It appears the poor boy will never learn. 130 gr case capacity and he is trying to hit 4000 fps with a 150 gr 30 cal bullet.

Why would be not put in a 1-10 twist instead of his 1-12 or 1-14 and shoot a 200 gr Accubond at full tilt speeds.

Lazzeroni is loosing ground in the ballistic world and the reason is because he has hobbled his rounds to 600 yards and thats about it with the light bullets.

If you want a Lazz round have the rifle custom build by someone else with the proper barrel twist for heavies and you will get vastly superior performance.

Just my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

I've been developing 30-378 rounds. It has a @120 grain capacity. I've really come to the opinion that with a 28 inch or less barrel that the 90 - 100 grain case capacity is better. Just way to much heat, blah blah blah just to gain a marginal amount of FPS over the 30 cal ultra mags

I've still got AA8700 and H50BMG to try. I've also only used 190 sbt and 220 grain match bullets. I do admit that someone as knowledgable as Kirby Allen could punch holes in my theory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby is right on. Why shoot a light bullet that fast when the heavy weights past 600 are the way to go!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Budlight,

I could hardly agree more with you. Even more so in factory 26" barrels where the top 300 RUM loads will hit 3200 fps with a 200 gr pill compared to 3250 to 3300 fps at most with a 30-378.

Unless your doing a 30" barrel and 220 or heavier bullets, the 300 RUM is a better choice in my opinion and appearantly yours as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif :grin!!

Kirby Allen(50)

i'm gonna venture a guess and say the reason is marketing.everyone that hangs out on here is geared for long range. but we only represent a very small percentage of the "market". when i mention even a 400 yd shot to anyone, they look at me like i'm full of bull.the thought of shooting at something as far away as 300 yds and not even having to figure holdover is appealing.the other thing is "speed" it's just like the bow market has been for the last 15 years.every new bow that comes out is 5 fps faster than the last one and everyone's got to have one of those.it's marketing!

Like your new bow that everybody has to have. A friend ask me about buying one of my target guns after he shot it a bunch of times.

He offered me $1000 and this was 8-10 years ago. I kind of looked at him and ask, "Do you know what a Night Force scope costs?" "Do you even know what a 29 inch 8.5 pound barrel custom gun without a scope cost?"

"How can a used 700 Rem action with a big barrel and a thumb hole stock cost anymore, Simmons scopes 6X24 are only $156 new?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Vaporizer light bullets only impressed me when my Dad bought me a 22-250 when I was 10 years old!

Dave,

I totally agree with you. Velocity sells to the general public.

Ol Lzzeroni is doing the shooting world a great service selling rifles to people that think 300 yard shooting is a very long distance and that rifle will drive a 150 gr bullet to 4K!

IF he would build these things correctly he would have a completely different beast and a better one in my opinion but thats why he owns Lazzeroni arms and I own APS I suppose!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

What i think is funny about this whole thing is that about 1 year ago I would have been praising Lazzeroni and sending him money for one of his speed demons and I would have said Kirby's guns shooting their fat bullets a decent speed were crap.

Of course back then all of you guys on here couldn't convince me or BJ not to shoot a 125gr BT in our 300 RUM's.

Amazing how much you learn in a year.

Thanks for the lesson
Steve

Long range shooting & hunting is a different beast most people can't imagine hitting something past 200 yd.Kirby I like the way you approach it with your effecient case selection proper twist rate enough barrel length to utilize
powder in pushing a high BC bullet to extreme range.Some folks say "reinventing the wheel" I say bull s and that they like vision in thinking about what is instead of what can be! <font color="red"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sniper2,

I would agree.

Not only is long range hunting foreign to many general public hunters, it is also something that most should never attempt.

From the general hunters I see in my shop, most should consider 300 yards an absolute max with the equipment they use and the time they put into their practice during the off season.

It is however amazing to watch how quickly someone can extend their max efficency range with porper equipment and the willingness to learn from others and try something different.

Hell, BJ and Lerch maybe the two best examples of this. In a very short time they have both become very impressive shots at extended range, partly because of their equipment upgrades but also the willingness to try something a bit unconventional.

Kirby Allen(50)

AWWWWW, Kirby your gonna bring a tear to my eye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would agree with you totally, except about BJ being a good shot, he sucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It still amazes me how quickly you can learn so much about this sport. It surprises me even more that just when you think you have most of it figured out, you realize actually how little you know.

Our recent success is do in mostly in part to Kirby and Richard, and all of the other people here on LRH that tried to convince us to not go for speed an instead find high BC bullets.

It seems like nearly daily I have some person here in my families shop who is wanting to shoot farther than normal and the first thing they ask for is thehighest velocity round made. Now I will try to explain to them about how drop and balisitics actually works and they will look at me like I have my head screwed on sideways.

they just won't believe that a heavier longer bullet will drop less at long range, sounds like me a few months ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Take it easy
Steve

Kirby,
I agree completely that past 600 YDS a heavier bullet absolutely is the way to go. Less drop, TOF, and more energy. But I just don't trust myself to shoot anything other than paper that far. I just built a Warbird with a Broughton tube finished to 31". I'm getting an avg. 3709 fps with no pressure from 165 gr. Sciroccos. Averaging 3" at 500 Yds and a little more than 8" at 1000. I have the utmost respect for you guys taking game past 600, but it's just too far for me. From 600 YDS down, fast and (relatively) light seems, at least to me, to fly flatter and hit harder. I killed 5 deer last season between 350 and 525 yards and the one at 525 had me a little nervous. If Lazz takes this to production, I won't be buying one of his rifles, but I'd like to get ahold of a reamer and some brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.