7*64

sikahunter

anybidy using a 7*64 for longe range shooting.
so far i am usung 139gr sst with 59.5 grs of adi2213sc out of a 26" MAB barrel. animals out to 500m look out.
Anyone have any feed back??

It's the European 270 or 30-06 ie ubiquitous.

Try the 139gr interbond which has a BC of around 0.5 opens well but retains weight.

Myself I use a 7x57 which with 50gr of H4350 yields 2,900fps for this bullet. Very flat shooting. A 7x64 with 26" barrel should manage 3,100-3,150fps. Lots of quality brass (Norma, RWS amongst others)Never a military round so can be used in France (which is why it's so popular)

sikahunter,

I agree with all that 1894 mentions except to add that the .280 Remington should be included in the 'similar' group. It is virtually the 7 x 64.

I have a Mauser Type 'B' in 7 x 64 that shoots quite nicely with just open sights. I'm in the process of making claw mounts to fit the bases that are already on the receiver so that I can use a scope on some occasions.

I checked the ADI website and I see that your powder is similar to or is H-4831sc that Australia makes for us here in the States. My reloads consist of either Re-22 or V V N-160 behind either the 160 gr. Barnes TSX or the 160gr. Nosler Partition. These combinations work well for the closer shots mandated for me by open sights.

My Sako in 7 x 64 is complete with a scope and I'm working with some of the 130 gr. Northfork's and the 140 gr. Barnes TSX's. The powders being tested right now are Ramshot Hunter, V V N-160 and Re-19. I don't have anything definitive yet except to say that the TSX are more than reasonbly accurate out to 300 yards so far. I have to travel a bit to get out further so I wait until I have several rifles and loads to test. That way I can spend a long weekend and enjoy the shooting without the rush.

Best of luck!

[ 07-30-2004: Message edited by: Crispin Goodall ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.