7.62x39????

Bought a 15" barrel on closeout from Midsouth a few years back for my Encore. It has the .308" dia. bore. Been shooting the 125 Ballistic Tip and it will shoot under and inch at 100 yds. Shot 2 antelope in Montana one at 128 yds and a doe at 211 yds. With the decreased velocity(2119) bullet performance was just what you were hoping for. The doe kill was VERY graphic. First shot was right behind shoulder dead on her feet. She stood there stumbling around and I decided to shoot again which I tend to do when anything doesn't tip over. Second shot hit low in brisket and opened up a large hole which a large amount of blood came pouring out. With her head hanging low she took a couple of steps back and threw her head up and two streams of came spraying out her nostrils.

"...large gaping travesty..."

I like that, I'm gonna steal that if you don't mind.:D

I agree that the 7.62x39 is a great short range deer killer with soft point ammo. I've killed many with mine and have always been impressed. I used to use the 30-30 as a comparison as well, but the new Hornady stuff kills that idea.

You are more than welcome to use it.

I'd agree:bout the only 30-30 I might see as able to sit at the table with the x39 is the Leverevolution. I have used it as well, and it made a "devastating travesty" of an old ten pointer at twenty yards. Speaks well for that rounds expansion characteristic at close range. Full penetration, and massive exit wound to boot.
I'd dare say, it wasn't for the squeamish: there was blood and tissue, hair and bone sprayed into the lower tree branches several yards behind the buck, and spray from where he stood to where he dropped. The only comparison I can make is the more ominous scenes from "The Predator".

"Do it! I'm right HERE!"

Have built with 312 and 308 bullets. The 308 x 39 shot well and was built for a benchgun. Shot like a dream and using 125 Nosler it dropped a few deer. Found N110 powder was the ticket.
Horndy 123 gr bullets worked just as well on deer.

Has anybody built one on a bolt action using .308 bullets and not the .311's? What were your results? What length barrel? What was your set up? The reason I'm asking is that I think it would be a great little 200yds or less starting hunting rifle for my son based on a Model 7 action. Thinking a 110 V-max at low velocity would work more like a normal hunting bullet. Just brain storming right now. Maybe even the 125 Sierra SP. If you don't have any experience with a set up like this, give me your thoughts, not opinions. Make it a constructive conversation and not controversial! :rolleyes: For some reason I like the .308 caliber rifles. I know this is traditionally a .311" but it can be improved upon.

Tank

Have built with 312 and 308 bullets. The 308 x 39 shot well and was built for a benchgun. Shot like a dream and using 125 Nosler it dropped a few deer. Found N110 powder was the ticket.
Horndy 123 gr bullets worked just as well on deer.
Sounds like a solid round. I ended up going with a .308. Works very well.

Tank

With the proper load the cartridge will shock you. Velocities of the 30 BR and 308 Win. Do not want to post loads, but I can git the speed of a 308 with 125 grain bullet. Not blowing the primers and not over pressure the chamber. Matter of the right powder and primer set up.

Sounds like a solid round. I ended up going with a .308. Works very well.

Tank

Just an afterthought - the 300 Blackout works fine on an AR platform. Just swap out the barrel. Everything else stays the same. Mild recoil. You can get get a 150 gr. bullet moving close to 2,000 fps. Enough for a couple hundred yards.

Just an afterthought - the 300 Blackout works fine on an AR platform. Just swap out the barrel. Everything else stays the same. Mild recoil. You can get get a 150 gr. bullet moving close to 2,000 fps. Enough for a couple hundred yards.

I seriously considered the whisper before they came out with the blackout. Didn't know enough about the round at that point to make that decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.