7.62x39????

liltank

Has anybody built one on a bolt action using .308 bullets and not the .311's? What were your results? What length barrel? What was your set up? The reason I'm asking is that I think it would be a great little 200yds or less starting hunting rifle for my son based on a Model 7 action. Thinking a 110 V-max at low velocity would work more like a normal hunting bullet. Just brain storming right now. Maybe even the 125 Sierra SP. If you don't have any experience with a set up like this, give me your thoughts, not opinions. Make it a constructive conversation and not controversial! :rolleyes: For some reason I like the .308 caliber rifles. I know this is traditionally a .311" but it can be improved upon.

Tank

I have to admit to having given it enough thought to decide it wasn't worth the effort, for me anyway. Then the 6.8 came out and has me thinking about doing that one in a little bolt gun for exactly the same reasons! That and I've always been a .277 guy :) I'm made some mention of this to Joel Russo about making a "mini tactical" for my son. I guess if I want to get it done while he still needs a "mini" I need to lay out some cash. They grow up quick!

I did one about 12 years ago…. one on a Rem 722 action 0.470" bolt face. I machined a ring 0.447" i.d for the bolt face; tig welded that in, machined the bolt face again, cut out and installed a Sako extractor... I didn't bother with the magazine or the feeding at the time; it was only needed for the project rifle at the time'…, test platform for subsonic ammo and suppresser.
I had Pac Nor send me {two} 24" inch barrels'…, one Polygonal 1-10 twist .308 cal, the other 5 groove 1-10 twist in .311 cal. Both barrels were tested on the action with loads made up with Sierra bullet Pro Hunter bullet 180gr SPT .308 &.311 cal.

The rifle shot great with both bullets & barrels... But the clear winner in the end subsonic was the .308 cal in both subsonic {heavy slow bullets} and supersonic {the standard 123gr in .30 cal}.... most likely due to the Polygonal barrel and twist.
With all that said; the 5 groove in .311 cal shot the surplus ammo "great" surprised the hell out of me, how accurately it would shoot the Chinese {copper wash} surplus ammo'…, that can't seem to be found anymore., at least in any quantity.
Anyway, good luck that's my .02 on the subject.

Pretty sure SAKO used to offer one, and I think it was a .308" bore. The Finns typically ran .308" barrels in their M39 rebarreled/rebuilt Mosin-Nagants, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same in the 7.62x39mm. Ruger took the same approach when the intorduced their Mini-30 in 7.62x39mm; they had .308" barrels. They shot like crap, but it had more to do with the rifles themselves, not the ammo or bore size.

With proper bullet selection, it should do nicely as a short range deer cartridge. 125-135 grain varmint bullets would perform like big game bullets, as would something like 150 gr. FN intended for a 30-30. Similar velocities should make these bullets ideally compatible, no problem. In a short barrel, and on a fast-handling stock it'd make a great short-range brush rifle.

Sweet, that is what I wanted to hear. I like the SPC idea, but I am a 30cal. guy so I like the little cartridge and think it would be a nice low recoiling rifle and easy to maneuver. Keep any experience and comments coming guys.

Tank

Imho I would probably look into a 7mm BR. Or a 30 BR. I've actually knocked around the idea for a girlfriend at one time but she took my 308 VTR away from me after she got to shoot it. Ha!

CZ pt Remington and your good to go, now if you could find a River mk77 in 7.62x39 that would be idea for him. Then use 240gr smk's.

As it turns out, he can handle the recoil of the .308 Winny. So I have some slow loads put together with 150 Hornady SPT. As long as he is prone on my LR rifle, he can handle full power loads.

Tank

I have to admit to having given it enough thought to decide it wasn't worth the effort, for me anyway. Then the 6.8 came out and has me thinking about doing that one in a little bolt gun for exactly the same reasons! That and I've always been a .277 guy :) I'm made some mention of this to Joel Russo about making a "mini tactical" for my son. I guess if I want to get it done while he still needs a "mini" I need to lay out some cash. They grow up quick!
Yep. 6.8, 6.5x47 Lapua, .260 Rem all better choices.

To your question tank, the .308's will rattle around in there and have accuracy issues. You also won't be able to reach standard velocities unless you up the powder charge.

Yep. 6.8, 6.5x47 Lapua, .260 Rem all better choices.

To your question tank, the .308's will rattle around in there and have accuracy issues. You also won't be able to reach standard velocities unless you up the powder charge.

My thoughts were using a normal .308 barrel, and cutting a chamber for the 7.62x39. So it would prefer the .308 bullet instead of the .311. It was just a thought at the time.

Tank

We all have them from time to time... .

I think the 6.8 or 260 would either one be great for you son. My best friend ran off with my nail driving custom 6.8 mini 14 for his son's first "deer rifle".

Trouble is his 10yo girl likes it even better so I doubt I'll ever get it back HA! gun)

We all have them from time to time... .

I think the 6.8 or 260 would either one be great for you son. My best friend ran off with my nail driving custom 6.8 mini 14 for his son's first "deer rifle".

Trouble is his 10yo girl likes it even better so I doubt I'll ever get it back HA! gun)

Other than not being able to hold it up, he is very capable of using my 308 carry gun. I'll just have to have shooting sticks handy.

Tank

I know this thread is old, and Tank's already had the kid out hunting by now, but I wanted to chime in on the 7.62x39.

I have one WASR 10 that spits out 154 gr wolf soft points and has reliably killed one 8-pointer and several does the last two years with no follow up shots and devastating wound cavities, shot distances ranging from 30-225 yards. In all instances, smallish hole going in, large gaping travesty on the off side and slot of destroyed tissue.

The 260 rem needs a long barrel. To achieve it's optimum performance, 24 in is ideal. I have a Ruger Mk 11 with short stock and 18 in barrel and it leaves much to be desired in terms of accuracy, but it is light. My mom now uses it.

.308 is a bit heavy for a kid, but if he's up to it, then I'd say go for it!

No experience with the 6.8, other than ballistics research. Think I'd prefer to be caught on the trigger end of the 300 blackout.

I've used (legally in my state) the 5.56 NATO for deer. Before I'm bashed, it is legal in my state, doesn't tear up meat, and is more than adequate for taking big MO whitetails. Speed is the killer with this round, pass throughs are indefinite at 0-300 yds, and it has no recoil. I do not feel under gunned with my lil 223 rem, as it accurately puts Barnes Vor Tx tsx in the boiler room, and no runs past 30-40 yards. There's another option if PA let's you use em.

As for x39.... I've heard folks scoff at the idea that the Russian shorty is the twin of the 30-30. Bull hockey. The trajectory of the x39 is flatter past their "twin" ranges, and the x39 will carry more energy upon arrival. 100-200 fps is a substantial difference when comparing the two, and the 30-30 just plain pooters out quicker. IMHO, I would not be caught choosing a 30-30 over a 7.62x39. The Saiga I'm getting this Friday is going to replace the WASR with it's so-so accuracy, and become my new deep woods gun. I don't expect sub MOA, but it will do it's part.

It's a great country we live in when we can have choices.

"...large gaping travesty..."

I like that, I'm gonna steal that if you don't mind.:D

I agree that the 7.62x39 is a great short range deer killer with soft point ammo. I've killed many with mine and have always been impressed. I used to use the 30-30 as a comparison as well, but the new Hornady stuff kills that idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.