7.62X39-Red Headed Step Child In The AR World

That's how I feel with the x39.
I can buy very good ammo for the blk. Factory very accurate and lots of different Bullets. It gives up speed but I also don't need to change anything but the barrel. For me that's the winning factor in the round. If I was gonna go with something I had to change a bunch of parts and run different mags I would shoot a .458 socom. Both need to be reloaded to get good performance and require swapping of parts.
I think a lot comes down to your AR stuff vs none AR. The blk juts makes it easy to use that platform. It just come down to what you prefer. I have found that I have been able to get very good performance out of the blk using the light 100-125 gr Bullets. I'm running the 100gr raptors at 2550fps. I think the x39 really has the advantage when 125 plug gr is used. Just not enough case in the blk.

I don't own a Dillon, so the idea of reloading for an autoloader is abhorrent. I haven't directly compared it to the .300 BLK, but the few specs that I have seen give me no reason to look at the .300 any further. I've often wondered if most of its appeal is the straighter case walls and that it works in 5.56 magazines. Not everyone has a can.

I did just look a little deeper. In like weight bullets you're giving up 200-400 FPS, roughly 8%-16%, at the muzzle. No attraction there. No suppressor so no need for sub-sonic heavy bullet loads. Just nothing there for me. The uppers that I have are all at least plinker class accurate. I haven't been interested in shooting them for group, but I suppose that I should.
To each their own.
If you have it set up right you can load plinker ammo pretty quick on a single stage. Ive tried the blackout on a ton of animals culling. I was never very impressed with sub or supersonic. Ive tried dozens of combinations. The boutique bullets are the only thing that works and I'm not paying for them to shoot such a low performance cartridge. Ive relegated mine to porcupines, coons and other small vermin.

If you have it set up right you can load plinker ammo pretty quick on a single stage. Ive tried the blackout on a ton of animals culling. I was never very impressed with sub or supersonic. Ive tried dozens of combinations. The boutique bullets are the only thing that works and I'm not paying for them to shoot such a low performance cartridge. Ive relegated mine to porcupines, coons and other small vermin.

You are right about the single stage but I've killed hundreds of hogs and deer with that round with both the nosler 125's I like the mono ones better but to say they don't work well is not real accurate. Must keep in mind distance and other factors. As matter of fact that's the round we have used at legends ranch to cull deer and those deer are very large body and with 150 yards they are great. Problem is people sell it like the greatest round ever just like the creed.

I think if I'm going to shoot .30 cal sub-machine gun round out of an auto-loader I'll just stay with the tried and true .30 Carbine. :)

I have wondered why this little chambering has never made it to the AR platform. The loaded ammo is not cheap and not much of a hunting bullet either. I've never found anything other than FMJ...maybe that's why it has not been intro introduced.

Just received some .310 120gr Gold Dots! Also a box of .310 125gr Barnes bullets. It looks like the X39 is starting to have a decent bullet selection .

My 78yo mother will be hunting with one of X39 this year. She has not hunted in about 13 years and never with a AR style rifle. So I'm pretty excited about the upcoming season!

0FC0C3FC-.jpg

Mom on the rifle, me blocking ejected shells from landing in my wife's lap and my wife...too comfy to move! LOL

Reloading the 7.62x39 is no different than any other round I shoot. I don't anneal the cases, but I do clean the flash hole, trim 0.010 max case length, polish the brass...

If your just blasting, accuracy is not that important!

Ahhh! The 300 BlackOut...my most unlike gun in my collection! My only AR that refuses to feed properly. It is one of the most accurate AR's I have too. In fairness the gun has a Osprey carbine length piston system on it and a Gibbs nonrecepracating left hand side charge. So until I get the the piston system off its just going to have to wait this seasons out.

I am getting better velocity from the X39 and I'm all about more horse power! Neither cartridge is a 600yd shooter so the accuracy doesn't have to be super great...that said, my 16" and 20" X39 both shoot .5 MOA at 200yds so killing a deer at 100 yards or less should be an issue!

I have read of .30 Carbine AR's out there. Seem to be really rare. I've kicked around the idea of building one just to see if I could make it work.

My same boss, who in 1987 or so predicted the eventual rise of the 6.5mm bore (too bad he didn't live to see it happen), also felt that there isn't a better true sub-machine gun round than the .30 Carb. He thought it far better at that sort of thing than the 9mm. He did concede that it probably needs a locking bolt when the 9mm doesn't, but felt that the performance gains made that worthwhile.

Last edited:
Cap I agree with you that they are not 600 yards guns and don't think either one is wrong or bad if used the right way. It's all what you prefer. I shoot some wacky rounds because I can and like weird stuff.
If you want a 600 yard round 6.5 Grendel fits that mold but you always ah e a give and a take.

Cap I agree with you that they are not 600 yards guns and don't think either one is wrong or bad if used the right way. It's all what you prefer. I shoot some wacky rounds because I can and like weird stuff.
If you want a 600 yard round 6.5 Grendel fits that mold but you always ah e a give and a take.

snox,
I was really talking about my 16 and 20 inch 7.62x39's not being 600yd guns.

I shoot my 24" Grendel at 600yds regularly. It takes a lot more clicks at 600 than my 6.5x284, but it will make 10" gong dance!

To be honest I had not researched the available bullets for the X39. I was quite surprised that Barnes makes a .310 bullet for it. With CFE BLK I'm getting over 2600fps in my 20" AR.

All three of the X39 AR's happen to really like the Barnes bullets too.

Also of note is Speer makes a .310 120gr. Gold Dot. I've only shot them out of the non - NV X39. They are a bit behind in velocity (2500fps) and they don't group quite as good as the Barnes bullets.

FYI - the 300BO I mentioned in my previous post is now running just fine without the Osprey piston system on it.

I think I need to buy another NV scope for BlackOut. Be a pretty sweet short range night time hunting rig. It would also be a great place to put my can. My stamp is in the mail on its way to my dealer. So that will happen in time for Texas rifle season to open.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.