7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel for pigs?

I don't have a 5.56/223 right now, only the 5.45. Without a can, the .300WTF makes no sense for me, especially with the amount of x39 I have. If I had 4 5.56s to feed and a reloading press...

ICANHITHIMMAN, I am thinking bigger is better at short ranges too, but at some point, which I don't know, SD is more important than diameter. There are also other options, but I am only considering a .204, 6.5G, and an x39 right now. I don't shoot enough/have enough places to shoot anything else, or honestly what I have.

I think the Grendel the the best choice then good luck

I just got through developing my 160gr sub sonic load for my Grendel AR with a can. Here in FL it is legal to shoot them at night using a light, laser or other NV device.

The Grendel will do 2,700 fps with a 120 gr Sierra and at or over 3,000 fps with a 107 Sierra. My 160gr loads are for night use on my pond near the road and there are houses across the highway so I want to keep the noise down to a very low roar.

If you were going with an AR upper in 7.62, it would have a .308 barrel and probably be a 1-10 twist. The combo would get you up to 200gr bullets. So between a 150 and a 200 lie a lot of territory.

Of course, the Grendel (6.5 Sporter, 264 LBC, 6.5 Grendel) is a 7.62x39 with the case blown out and about a 40 degree shoulder depending on the origin (Grendel = 35gr Water capacity) so it would be nice to have a 30 based on the Grendel which would in effect be a rimless 30 Harrett in an AR.

There is the 358 ARk (AR kurtz) which is a .358 Grendel and it is a bad boy. Does like 2,300 - 2,400 with a 180.
Ed

Many a Texas hog has fallen to the 6.5 Grendel shooting the 100 grain Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip.

I had a 300 Whisper for years and used it for years with 125-150 grain flat base bullets.

While most of my shooting with AR's now is with an AR10 in 308W, if you want an easy AR15 caliber upgrade, the 300 Blackout is a great option.

I'd Pick up the .308 every time. Ammo availability is priority one and the .308 wins hands down. Everything from factory loaded match ammo to 180 nosler partitions. I use the 168 gn. Gold medal match (available at cheaper than dirt for 22$ a box of twenty) and average five shot 2" groups at 500 yds. The rifle is a howa 20" fluted barrel with a 4 x 14 zeiss scope. This weapon system has accounted for over 50 hogs taken off our ranch in the last 6 months. These shots were at ranges between 100 and 800 yds. I highly recommend Ivey scope mounts as they have worked perfectly for me and have 150 minutes of elevation built into them.

I have taken hogs with every thing from a Mach 2 to a 375, its all in bullet placement. Personally I use a AR- 223 with a 36gr Hornady Varmit Grenade by Blackhills and have never had one go over 30ft., most stop in there tracks but this is a 250lber my wife took with her new 6.5 Grendel build last weekend in its tracks at 120yds.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 265
Got any pics of the mach 2 shot pig?

No but from my bow stand in the forhead it dropped like a rock. Wasn't but about an 80lber but it sure ate good. If you need proof I guess I could film the next one if you don't think it's possable and have a few $ to bet. Ofcourse Georgetown isn't that far from my ranch at Luling and you could come down with the $ and see it your self.

No but from my bow stand in the forhead it dropped like a rock. Wasn't but about an 80lber but it sure ate good. If you need proof I guess I could film the next one if you don't think it's possable and have a few $ to bet. Ofcourse Georgetown isn't that far from my ranch at Luling and you could come down with the $ and see it your self.

Not questioning it, but I would love to go hunting with yougun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.