7.5 inch barreled blackout pistol for deer?

Thanks. I'm somewhat worried about being able to kill deer out to 150 yards. I'm curious what your experience was like. Any stories?
hammer bullets makes a 101 for the blackout might be worth looking at should keep velocity up and they kill well

Well the energy is there but it sure would not be my first choice. You will be maybe 2100 to 2225 fps max in that length of barrel with a 110. Puts you at around 1350 ft pounds energy out 200 yards...plenty. With a red dot that will be stretch anyway...Most of our shots were limited to stand were shots were limited to about 90-100 yards. We killed mostly whitetail deer. Most were shot right behind the shoulder..2 hops and laid down and died. We probably killed 12 animals with that little set up.I did shoot a fairly big pig with a 300 blackout..ended up a bloody mess...first round was placed bad (my fault) but the rest were in the breadbasket--just did not put down. 300 blackout is in my opinion a great defense round at QCB ranges. Great subsonic, fun round. But if you are killing animals--there are better options. I am in the process of building a modern day scout rifle AR 12.5 in 6.5 Grendel--set up Pistol with eotech and a 3x magnifier. Short, pretty light, and a good to can take animals out to 250 yards easily. Good luck on your build.

Last edited:
Old saying. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I've never understood the allure of the round other than it's an easy barrel swap from a standard AR. The 6.8 spc and 6.5 grendel are better options in the standard AR platform.

Old saying. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I've never understood the allure of the round other than it's an easy barrel swap from a standard AR. The 6.8 spc and 6.5 grendel are better options in the standard AR platform.
I don't disagree with you, in fact you have a good point; however, the intended use is in the woods with shots generally being between 50 and 100 yards with the occasional 150 yard shot. The beauty of this setup as I see it is the maneuverability of it, especially in tree stands. I do have a 20 inch 6.5 Grendel and I love it! I just wanted something small and maneuverable for the woods.

I've shot a lot of deer and hogs with a 9" 300BLK. The Barnes 110 Tac factory load is very effective. It's accurate and has reliable expansion. I hand load my subs and plinking ammo, but the factory Barnes is my hunting round. Complete confidence out to 100 yards.

Don't want to rain on the parade, but my experience with the Blackout as a hunting round has been pretty bad. I shoot often and pretty well, so I don't think bullet placement was an issue. Everything I've shot has been out of a 16" barrel. Have tried from 125 SST supers to 220 OT suppressed. I've shot 5 pigs all under 100 yards and only recovered one. None were huge pigs, I'd say anywhere from 30-125 lbs. Shot one doe at less than 70 yards right behind the should with the 220 OT subsonic, good blood trail for about 30 yards, then nothing. Never found her. I agree it's a good CQC round and you can kill animals with it, but there's much better choices.

Don't want to rain on the parade, but my experience with the Blackout as a hunting round has been pretty bad. I shoot often and pretty well, so I don't think bullet placement was an issue. Everything I've shot has been out of a 16" barrel. Have tried from 125 SST supers to 220 OT suppressed. I've shot 5 pigs all under 100 yards and only recovered one. None were huge pigs, I'd say anywhere from 30-125 lbs. Shot one doe at less than 70 yards right behind the should with the 220 OT subsonic, good blood trail for about 30 yards, then nothing. Never found her. I agree it's a good CQC round and you can kill animals with it, but there's much better choices.
If you're shooting animals with non-expanding bullets, that's your problem. Use the correct bullet. Lots of expanding subs out on the market.

If you stick with the Barnes 110 for Blackouts, you'll be good to 100 yards, maybe 150. If you handload, Maker and Cavity Back make a variety of light bullets for the Blackout. I have some loaded, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet on critters. Hopefully, I'll find out this fall.

I may be of help on this thread as I've used a 300blk for most my hunting in the past few years.
I've killed close to 500 plus animals with it since then. I have a few 8" though 16" setups.
I've killed a pile of large Michigan deer and hundreds of hogs of all sizes.
Only two bullets you should look at are the cutting edge raptors in 100gr or the hammer 99gr blk bullet.
Both will get great speed and hammer animals.
I keep my distance to about 150-75 with my rounds simple because tracking can become tough if you hit solid shoulder. I have taken one at just over 200 but that's a lot of drop and prob farther than you wanted anyway.
If you want something cheaper for practice the 125 nosler works great on stuff also but as stated the light Bullets are king in the black.

If you stick with the Barnes 110 for Blackouts, you'll be good to 100 yards, maybe 150. If you handload, Maker and Cavity Back make a variety of light bullets for the Blackout. I have some loaded, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet on critters. Hopefully, I'll find out this fall.
Would love to hear how it works for you once you get the chance to try it out.

I may be of help on this thread as I've used a 300blk for most my hunting in the past few years.
I've killed close to 500 plus animals with it since then. I have a few 8" though 16" setups.
I've killed a pile of large Michigan deer and hundreds of hogs of all sizes.
Only two bullets you should look at are the cutting edge raptors in 100gr or the hammer 99gr blk bullet.
Both will get great speed and hammer animals.
I keep my distance to about 150-75 with my rounds simple because tracking can become tough if you hit solid shoulder. I have taken one at just over 200 but that's a lot of drop and prob farther than you wanted anyway.
If you want something cheaper for practice the 125 nosler works great on stuff also but as stated the light Bullets are king in the black.
Thanks, what bullet have you used the most?

The hollow point is pretty good size on the Cavity Back, so it's gtg in a tube fed 30-30. I'll be loading these up in my Marlin too. Either way, something will be my test media in the fall with the Blackout or the 30-30!

Here is my 300 BLK pistol with 7 1/2" barrel. Hornady 110 V-Max has not failed me or my daughters on any whitetail. 100 yd shots are easy for me with this setup, and I'd even push it out to 150. Beyond that, I'm hesitant to attempt.

EC664847-736B-4013-986D-AA219AD4BCAC.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.