7-378 Weatherby, Long Range 7mm

Don't be to concerned about poor or incomplete powder burn. The radius shoulder on the weatherby cases with it's venturi effect where designed to be a more efficient use of the gasses to propel the bullet. Giving that design a more complete or better burn on the fuel provided; or in this case powder. Now let the debate and theories begin. lol ctw
My 6.5-300 Runs 90-91 Grains through a 28". I love the rifle and the round, just hard to maneuver and pack around in the hill and mountains

The 7rum is annoying enough to get a good load for... I'd venture to say you've got a good chance of wiping out a barrel in 7x378roy before you get a stable load for it...
I've been wondering about the 7 RUM lately, as I've been looking at buying me a "budget" Long Range rifle to start off with. I've always wanted a 7 STW, but never left the .30's alone long enough.

My 6.5-300 Runs 90-91 Grains through a 28". I love the rifle and the round, just hard to maneuver and pack around in the hill and mountains

I find this very interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. I had a 28" barrel and added a brake. Then I hunted in the dense woods of Western Oregon for a couple months. I carried the rifle in my hands rather than with a strap over my shoulder. During all those days I tried to be aware of the barrel bumping into something. Finally the barrel touched something. When I checked I rea it would be necessary for the barrel to be no longer than 22" in order to miss that branch or bush. Now I normally use either a 24" or a 26" barrel.

I've been wondering about the 7 RUM lately, as I've been looking at buying me a "budget" Long Range rifle to start off with. I've always wanted a 7 STW, but never left the .30's alone long enough.
Get a 378 Weatherby. Longer barrel life but shorter shoulder life.

Far left 338 lapua
Middle 7mm Rouge (7mm 378 AL)
Right 338 Excalibur ( 416 Rigby case)
You can decide what is best. I will say one thing the 7mm lapua will not out perform the 7mm Rouge.View attachment 166173
Hi there I hope you're well could you please tell me how much powder the 7 mm-378 imp holds All the very best Patrick

Thanks for your reply I thought your 7mm-378 Rouge was the improve version thanks again for your reply Are you interested in selling the Remer all the best Patrick
I'm still trying to get one built. Maybe after I get it done.

I'm still trying to get one built. Maybe after I get it done.
Hi there thanks for your reply again I'm interested in the old ball cartridges. Something different I live in the UK if you decide to sell the Remer could you please let me know or anything else you think I'll be interested in if you want I'll give you my private contact details all the best Patrick

Thanks everyone for all the info and insight. But, y'all have made my decision tougher lol.

Let me clarify a few things that I didn't post originally. I would like to build the most ballistically superior 7MM cartridge for long range hunting. one that will Get superior ballistics out of a shorter barrel. 24-26". I want a good Light weight/maneuverable packing rifle. I run all bartlein and kreiger, was maybe considering carbon fiber, but I feel like I'll lose my man card. But barrel choice is a whole other argument.

so, with that said. What is the most ballistic superior 7MM that can shoot/group well at long range, with the rifle being built for hunting? I don't give two damns about barrel life, recoil, amount of powder etc. This rifle will be designed to hunt and kill, it stays in the safe when not hunting and it won't be plinking steel.

Based of your criteria if you want to run a 24" bbl go with the 7mm Norma IMP 35* it will run a 195gr berger 3150-3200.

if you want a 26" bbl go with the 7mm Lapua IMP 35* with a 195 at 3250-3300. Once you go below a 26" bbl you might as well go with the norma parent case because you will be running the same velocities just with more powder being burnt.

With Lapua or Peterson brass you can run at these velocities and still obtain ~ 6-8 firings per case

There are Smiths here like Kirby of APS rifles who will build you a rifle 7AM (338 Lapua parent) and have dies and formed brass in stock to make things easy.

Also for the 7mm Norma IMP Travis of R Bro's Rifles comes to mind. His cartridge is the 7RBH.

You can run a steel or carbon barrel and still have a light weight long range hammer in the 10-12 pound range scoped. These 2 cartridges will be the most ballistically potent and efficient in a 24-26" bbl

Anyone have experience with this round? I noticed PT&G has a reamer, but I couldn't seem to find any dies. I would think a simple neck down of 30-378 would make this a long range killer of whatever you need it to. I would guess push 180 Grain Berger to prolly 3400 FPS or better. If you could get bullet to stabilize.

Any insight into this caliber would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I know it will be expensive to shoot and will be a barrel Burner. That doesn't concern me, it will be a hunting rifle.
Howdy, did you ever build this gun.
I know its a old thread. Thanks. 👍