7/300wm ackley imp.

Possum284

I have a rem 7mag barrel I want to rechamber to 7/300wm and I seen that shilen has a reamer for 300wm ackley imp. could they use that reamer on my project to make it a 7/300wm imp. or don't you think so cause I think rcbs make dies for the 7/300 then You could fireform it to the imp. or am I way off any help is appreciated

I'm assuming they "could" use the reamer, although it may only be for customers of their barrels. The improved part would be from fireforming, I think you might have to neck turn the brass, it might get thick from necking down.

probably, I can't believe how hard it is to find info on this round even just a 7/300wm not the improved I would have thought it was more populat than that

While it is a very good round and one I would use rather than the 7mm Rem mag due to the better brass available ,most folks do see a big enough improvement over the 7mm rem mag and none ballisticaly over the 7mmSTW , yet you have to neck down and fire fore cases , to the vast majority of people that seems like way more work that its worth.

I probably would not do the Ackley improvement on the 300 win mag as their is not going to be that big of an increase in capacity and since its already an oversized case the velocity gain will be slight. The main real benifit to Ackley-izng this case is to cut back on case streching. Depending on your reamer you may or maynot have to turn the necks , the only way to tell is make up a dummy round and check it against the reamer.

I'm sure that either RCBS or Redding makes regualr dies for this round and if not any of the neck bushing dies for the 300 win mag or win mag improved will work for the 7mm neck size if the correct bushing are used.

I highly doubt that Shilen will touch anybodys barrel than theirs other than to remove it. Best bet would be to ask around , some smiths will splti up the cost of buying a reamer if you let them keep it.

Yea I will probably not imp. it but what I wanted to do was have it set up so I could load 180 bergers to the base of the neck for max case capacity I know it will be a single shot and could just go to a bigger round but I don't want to, this will be my first project and I'm a newbie to relaoding so would you use a 300wm resizing die and then resize the neck cause I'm not having much luck finding specific dies for it. thanks for helpin out tryin to learn all I can and sorry bout the long post

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.