7-300 wins the 1100 yard match!

The current push is the .300 WSM but all my friends that shoot them get recoil/percussion fatigue over long matches.
I believe this, especially about percussion fatigue. I have a 300 Norma that I really haven't even finalized load development because my head and sinuses can't handle the percussion. I don't have that issue 7mm and below.

Would the 7-300 prc be easier to tune than a 28 Nosler freebored for a 180s? Just asking cause I haven't loaded for a 28 Nosler. Would a 7mm prc clean up a 7mm rem mag chamber?
I would not expect there to be any difference in tuning between any of those. I would have to pull out the prints to see if it would clean up a 7mag chamber.

I've always loved the 7mm RM and 300 WM...They shoot just fine for me. I'm not a short action fan, and the belt is a non issue for me. I dont get why people hate a belted mag...I seem to do just fine with them anyway. I think I'll just keep my 7-300 win mag and just go through the barrels.They are cheaper than building a whole nother rifle. If it ain't broke, dont fix it! :)

I've always loved the 7mm RM and 300 WM...They shoot just fine for me. I'm not a short action fan, and the belt is a non issue for me. I dont get why people hate a belted mag...I seem to do just fine with them anyway. I think I'll just keep my 7-300 win mag and just go through the barrels.They are cheaper than building a whole nother rifle. If it ain't broke, dont fix it! :)
Don't worry partner, those folks who hate belts are the same guys that hate big block V8s, four barrel carburetors, old Harley Davidsons and classic muscle cars.😂

Don't worry partner, those folks who hate belts are the same guys that hate big block V8s, four barrel carburetors, old Harley Davidsons and classic muscle cars.😂
For me "Hate" is a strong word. I own both of those rifles and let's just say I'm not opposed to change. All thing rifles, cartridges and shooting get better year after year. I don't blame anybody for keeping what they have cause it ain't broke. Both those cartridges for what they are really can't be improved upon performance wise. I'm opting for a 300 PRC or 300 NM Imp simply for the longer neck and to run the long VLD bullets in mags easier. I think the 300 WM and 300 PRC are twins performance wise basically. Losing the belt allows better feeding from mags as well. I'll never get rid of the old faithful 300/7 mags. Also I doubt you ever see the others catch up in game harvested by the two. Having a love for all cartridges, I'm always interested in new and old. BTW... Slow down on the rhetoric of belt haters don't like big blocks, 4 bbls, Harley's or classic muscle cars ( No hater here). I babied a 71 Hemi Challenger for decades. No it doesn't have a 4 BBL carb, it has TWO on top a cross ram manifold. One other thing I'll say is, the majority of shooters love all things cars, engines and speed. I'm with you guys and love the old time mags. Even own a 338 win mag.

The problem with a belt is that the die usually will not resize the case just in front of the belt without pushing the shoulder back too far. After time you end up with tight cases in the chamber. You may never notice this in a sloppy chamber or low pressures. I want brass than I can reload 20 or more times at high pressures without issues. You could call me a belt hater and my last drag car was a small block too so maybe there is a correlation there? 😄

Last edited:
The problem with a belt is that the die usually will not resize the case just in front of the belt without pushing the shoulder back too far. After time you end up with tight cases in the chamber. You may never notice this in a sloppy chamber or low pressures. I want brass than I can reload 20 or more times at high pressures without issues. You could call me a belt hater and my last drag car was a small block too so maybe there is a correlation there? 😄
😂

I need something that still has great wind bucking ability, but doesnt get smoking hot for 10 shot strings. Not a huge fan of the 6.5 CM but honestly thinking it may be it...Unless you guys can think of something better?? No wildcats, unless it's a simple neck up or down job. I'm not into sitting at the bench all day or fire forming crap.

Kinda dismissive ain't ya? But... whatcha want to evaluate is the .280rem AI or the ol' reliable .284win. The .284win, built on a long-action enables high BC bullet seating, with neck reamed to match, for longrange performance. Suppose there is also possibility of doing a .308win AI.

The AI chambers all perform very well with factory loads. The .284 case variants use the orig 35* shoulder. For longrange, the .284 case delivers .30-06 performance in a more compact brass package. Seems the standard .284win is the real sleeper for all around use, but for 1000yd or out to 1600yds (see David Tubb's 1mile shot video) the 6.5/284 with a high BC 142gr like smk is proven.

The "problem" with belted cases relates to the chamber reaming job. With a minimum oal chamber, with reamer delivering right at GO guage or .005 over, shoulder should allow only about .001-2 of stretch. Can also have your gunsmith ream to match your unfired brass neck so there's minimal stretch. Reamer might deliver a shallow belt recess, but this can be further handled by belt diameter reaming tool... Important thing is the unfired case headspaces on the shoulder, not the belt.

Factory or even custom chamberings are typically not done for case-neck headspacing on belted magnums. Got a great barrel, maybe a bit of set-back to rethread and improve the chamber?

Belted magnums were invented to allow fail-safe chambering in double-rifles of large caliber. With headspacing on the shoulder, and precision chamber, belted magnum can shoot with non-belted jobs.

The .30/338win for years was the longrange ctg of choice for its longer neck and still ample case capacity. AI one of those and the .300win would have little if any advantage.

If you want to step up to .338 high BC bullets, a .338win can be easily reamed to .338/300win which is very versatile in powder charge range, and is easily chamber improved to headspace on the neck with virgin case you will be using.

264 win mag. Will outdo every 6.5 except the 26 nosler, 6.5-300 weatherby and maybe a few Wildcats or stupid expensive stuff. If you cant fine 264 brass, neck down 7mm rem mag brass.

It's an awesome cartridge, just introduced 50 years too early and in rifles with slow twist barrels because they didnt have the heavy 6.5 bullet selection back then.

Put another bartlien barrel on there, 8 twist with a 264 win chamber. Same rifle. No need to build a new one

If you ever do decide to build another and want a 7mm I would seriously look at the 280AI. IMO the 280AI really isn't a wildcat anymore since Nosler remarketed it a few years back. Brass or even factory rounds can be picked up at most sporting good stores now. Excellent case life and a very efficient cartridge that does well with slower powders as well.

I'm shooting 63gr of Retumbo and getting 2940 out of a 168gr Berger and a 25" barrel. That's a compressed load with zero signs of pressure. I have the Ackley version so I fire-formed Norma Brass but supposably Nosler is just as good? I've reloaded some of my brass a half dozen times and see zero signs of fatigue and primers are still tight.

They didn't offer the 180gr when i built my rifle and I haven't tried to stabilize any yet with my 1-9 twist.

My 280AI is hard to find a round that won't shoot well, my fire form rounds shoot MOA so I use them for predator hunting. I haven't shot steel for a while but when I built the rifle it was very consistent at 1K. It's built on a 700 platform and weighs right at 10lbs, it's main job is to kill things and it has been flawless on doing that with about a dozen animals under its belt in the last 5yrs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.