7-300 wins the 1100 yard match!

remingtonman_25_06

Well I ended up taking 1st place in the shoot! It was in 4 different stages from 200-1100 yards. Was a dang good time with a bunch of great guys. Definitely be doing it again. I do think I need a different caliber though, 7-10 shot strings in 3 and 4 minutes on a 7-300 win mag gets the barrel SMOKING HOT, literally could smell the steel, and fry bacon and eggs on my barrel... I bet my throat didnt like it much either. But the heavy 9 twist Bartlein just kept drilling! So now I'm contemplating what to build for these type shoots...Cause at this rate my 7-300 will be toast in a year haha. But I tell you what, those 180g ELDMs at 3000fps sure sliced through the little wind that we had. The Leupold MK4 8-25x TMR tracked great, not 1 issue there. I dialed for everything, as I dont practice with the TMR much, if at all honestly. Ive always dialed for the last 20 years so it's just what I am comfortable with. I did not touch my windage once, which was pretty cool, because all the 6.5 CM guys were putting 2-3 MOA at 1000-1100 lol. 2nd place was a 2 way tie, and I only beat them by 2 hits, I believe both were shooting 6.5 CMs.

20200725_150435.jpg

Last edited:
I need something that still has great wind bucking ability, but doesnt get smoking hot for 10 shot strings. Not a huge fan of the 6.5 CM but honestly thinking it may be it...Unless you guys can think of something better?? No wildcats, unless it's a simple neck up or down job. I'm not into sitting at the bench all day or fire forming crap.

The 25 with that 131 ace would buck the wind better then the 6.5 creedmoor. I think there's a couple companies making head stamped brass.

260 or 260AI is perfect for this. I know you don't like fire-forming, but the 260AI really shines in these events. I run a 28" barrel with a brake, and it easily pushed the 143's above 3,000fps. Next would be the 7mm-08 or AI with 1/8 or faster twist. Both with throats for the longer heavies.

Well I ended up taking 1st place in the shoot! It was in 4 different stages from 200-1100 yards. Was a dang good time with a bunch of great guys. Definitely be doing it again. I do think I need a different caliber though, 7-10 shot strings in 3 and 4 minutes on a 7-300 win mag gets the barrel SMOKING HOT, literally could smell the steel, and fry bacon and eggs on my barrel... I bet my throat didnt like it much either. But the heavy 9 twist Bartlein just kept drilling! So now I'm contemplating what to build for these type shoots...Cause at this rate my 7-300 will be toast in a year haha. But I tell you what, those 180g ELDMs at 3000fps sure sliced through the little wind that we had. I did not touch my windage once, which was pretty cool, because all the 6.5 CM guys were putting 2-3 MOA at 1000-1100 lol. 2nd place was a 2 way tie, and I only beat them by 2 hits, I believe both were shooting 6.5 CMs.

View attachment 205398
Straight 284. You'll get 2900 with the 180s with a 28-30" barrel( 3000 w/RL17). Better barrel life and much less recoil. Shehane it and pick up a bit more velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.