7-300 win mag @ 300 and 500

I've had nothing but great results from the 7mm 162 AMAXs. Killed pile of coyotes, deer and elk with them. Hoping the 180g ELDMs dont disappoint. Havent tried the Atips yet, not sure my 9twist will stabilize them. When I rebarrel this, itll definitely be getting an 8 twist.

Appreciate that. It's a sniper/heavy filled McMillan A5. Total rifle weight ready to go is 16#. It's a little heavy, but still packable for a younger guy as myself. It shoots pretty good and I'm really confident to 1200 with it. Kicks less than a 223, spot my own shots easily on 25x and shoot it all day if I wanted to.

Finally a non windy day to zero the 7-300 win mag with 180g ELDMs. Getting ready for a 1K shoot in 2 weeks. My normal 1400 yard range is closed for a few days so I had to hit the next best thing and that range only goes out to 500, but it still gave me an idea of what shes gonna do. I'm pretty happy with it anyway. Probably wont win any competitions with it, but it's still minute of big game anyway haha.

View attachment 203405View attachment 203407View attachment 203406
That is some good shot placement.

I love it. Like said above, extremely easy to load for, just neck down 300 mag brass and go. Super accurate, and gives some of the better ballistics/barrel life for case volume in a 7mm. I dont run mine hot, and my throat is a little shorter than most guys for some reason, but it still does an easy 3200fps with 162s and 3000fps with 180s and that's with excellent brass life and accuracy. I love 7mms and figured this was the best compromise for a LR hunting rifle, all things considered. I only have right at 250 rounds through mine, so still a lot of life left in it. But 1500 rounds should be easily attainable if you take care of it and dont get it hot.

Probably wont win any competitions with it, but it's still minute of big game anyway haha.

Great shooting! You guys keep me motivated to keep improving. I'm proud that I finally got to the point where I can consistently get my 100 yard groups to look like your 300 yard group, but clearly I have more work to do! Ha! I joined a 1k yard range in May and am starting to stretch my legs with plenty of hits at 600 and farther, but I haven't quite gotten the insanely small groups down. I don't handload though, so that will be a limiting factor.

That's honestly been my best 300 yard group of my life in 20 years, it dont happen every day sir haha. Usually around 1-1.5" at 300 yards. The group I shot couple weeks before with the same load went .7" at 300 yards, so its definitely a good shooter. But yes, you definitely need to start rolling your own, it's the only way to fly.

Last edited:
It's crazy to see someone getting getting virtually identical results as I am. Mine is a 7mm Practical so pretty much the same thing. My speeds are a bit higher but I'm using ADG brass so less capacity and I had Shawn Carlock +P throat it. 28" Criterion/9 twist Rem Varmit contour remage. I'm at 8 loadings on this batch of 50 pieces with tight primer pockets. I've run her up to 7X grains H-1000/180-VLD/31XX fps but it didn't produce better groups and was hard on brass. Congrats man. You got a shooter, and the nut behind the trigger is doing awesome work. The X's are to discourage bad behavior. 168 H-VLD's are going 3228 fps and it's like blowing spit wads in the .3's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.