7-300 Win. Brass options?

BJH

As the title states I am curious about the options for quality brass for a 7-300 Win. I would very much appreciate any info from any of you out there who have ran this cartridge.
I bought some Winchester brass at the suggestion of my gunsmith and some reading on the Ballistic Studies website on the Practical version. When I opened them it was pretty standard for what I have experienced with WW brass in the past..Out of the 100 pieces I had to throw 13 of them in the trash just from a visual inspection. The necks are not cut straight and just seems like the quality is not the greatest. Only fired a few of them 1 time so far.
I bought 200 pieces of Norma brass and it was as expected also. Very clean, straight and good quality. The problem that I have now encountered is that after the 1st firing from my rifle, I can push the primer into the pocket with my finger and it falls right back out. I have ran into loose primer pockets when running very hot loads, but never to the point that it won't hold at all. Most of the times I have seen this problem is when I have reloaded the case several times at max charge. Even then, I have had to at least tap the case on the reloading bench to get the primer to move. But after a single firing, it won't even begin to hold the primer. I have been shooting 180 and 195 Berger bullets and Retumbo powder. Charges with the 180 have ranged from 69 to 75 grains, all with the same results on the primer pocket. Charges with the 195 have ranged from 69 to 71 grains with the same results.

So my question is this..Have any of you got a suggestion on what brass to use to try to get more than 1 shot from a piece of brass??
Do i stick with the Winchester? Or are there better options for this cartridge?

Thank you to anyone who takes time to read this and respond. I appreciate any and all input from the people on this site. I always enjoy reading about your thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

Rifle specs:
Defiance Deviant Hunter
28" Bartlein - 8.5" twist
McMillan A-5 Adjustable
Nightforce ATAC-R 5-25x56
Timney Calvin Elite

What is your load. I have had two different 7-300 barrels running Norma and Nosler brass and get 3-4 rounds consistently before pockets are gone. I also have a couple hundred once fired Nosler if anyone is interested I no longer need.

you could try Bertram brass it is tough stuff but one and done means to much pressure. what velocities are you getting? powder charges seem on the lower end to me. what is your oal are your bullets jammed maybe a carbon ring in barrel?

I completely missed your loads somehow. I was running around 75 grains of H1000 with 180 hybrids. Do you know your free bore? Are you sure you have enough neck clearance?

No fouling present. Very clean smooth chamber and I keep it very clean. Running low end on powder charges and have been running at anywhere from .010 to" .040" jump on my overall length. Don't know the exact free-bore on the chamber. But without any psi signs anywhere on the brass it seems strange to have this issue. I ran the 180 Hybrid up to 75 grains of Retumbo and started getting ejector marks, but no bolt lift issues. So I have stayed on the lower end but still a 1 and done deal with the brass.

Also, the Winchester brass that I have fired was sized and held the primers fine. Just looking for quality options. Maybe I need to just see how long the WW last? I don't expect to be able to load them a dozen times....but 2 or 3 would be great.

The Winchester brass will last longer. The facts are with primer pockets loose you are either way over pressure or you got a bad batch of brass. I have run Nosler and Norma which are the same thing in my 7-300s as well as two 300s the brass is soft but even with stiff loads is typically good for 3-6 loads. Bertram will be very durable but has less capacity than the Nosler(as does Winchester). You will need to drop your load and work back up.

That is what I have been thinking. I have used Nosler brass for a 7mm STW improved and a 7mm UM improved and usually get 3 or 4 firing before I see any of the pockets starting to get loose. I'll keep testing and pushing onward.

Testing new components and making trips to the range is never be a bad thing, right? Just looking for some good ideas to try.
The rifle is crazy accurate and a blast to shoot. So I guess I'll just have to burn up the barrel and keep working at it.

I'm glad to hear that. I was apprehensive at 1st. I actually didn't even have the rifle built, just happened upon it and thought I would give it a go. It's been pretty impressive so far. Very efficient and produces great velocity. I have enjoyed it a lot so far. Just gotta figure out how to get more than 1 shot with my brass.

I've had nosler go quick but not that quick. Loose pockets for me too.

I reload for my dad's 7mm rem mag and use Winchester brass with it. I took the time to trim, anneal, and neck turn it after the first firing. It has lasted 2 barrels and is still going. The stuff may never wear out. Easily 15 reloads on it. Not running it extreme but not limping along either. Around 3200 with 140s. 3075 with 168s.

I know neck turning tools are an investment but it might be worth your while in the long run.

Hope you can settle in on something that works well for you.

Thanks for taking time to help me out guys. I really do appreciate it. I think I will press forward with the Winchester brass that I have on hand. Maybe pick up some Bertram and a box of Nosler. I do have a neck turner and can turn the necks down a little bit. I don't feel like that is an issue...but I have been wrong before. Any of you have any experience with the Peterson brass?

I should have clarified my response...neck turning was to improve quality. Not to alleviate high pressure.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with nosler in mine. I've got four loads on some of mine with no indication of loose pockets. I'm using 80 grains of RL33 with 195s.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.