7-300 norma

Paulstarr

I,m a long range target shooter in the UK.I started shooting with pistols until the ban in the UK in 1997,then I moved to rifle shooting.I am interested in 1000yd + shooting.I use 6mmBR,6mmXC,6mm Creedmoor,6.5mm x284,7mm RemMag,a Tooley 7mm Boo-Boo.I find 6 and 7 mil calibre's shoot that much flatter.I am currently having a 338 LapMag rifle re-barrelled in 7-300 NormaMag and I am looking for someone to advise me on reloading data for this calibre, if any members can help me Would be very grateful.Please excuse the spelling of calibre, we spell that way in the UK.

Berger 195's and Retumbo is a good place to start.
I'm going for Berger 180 VLD's and Maybe RE-25 or VIT N170 basically because I already have some but if you think Retumbo is the way to go,I will.Can you give me some idea of the powder charge weights you use.

orkan,thanks for your help.I take it we are talking Vit N170,RE-25 Vit N570 or Retumbo,all these have a similar burn rate.

If Viht is your thing, then N570 is the go-to for a case of this size. I would not consider N170 or R25 to be suitable alternatives as they are both significantly "faster" than Retumbo.

N570 and R33 are both solid alternatives.

I should also point out that this is a 7-300 norma improved 35° I'm talking about... not just a straight neck down.

I should also point out that this is a 7-300 norma improved 35° I'm talking about... not just a straight neck down.
orkan,thanks for that ,this rifle is just a straight neck down so what i will do is come down a couple of grains to start with and see what the chrono says,then ease it up a little if I need to.Thanks again for your help.

I'd back off at least 8-10 grains. Pretty drastic change from the baseline to the improved version. I don't see much for "hot" loads until I get into the 85gr territory, but you'll want to be cautious. Obviously I accept no responsibility for what you're doing. ;)

3abRxfAh.jpg

I'd back off at least 8-10 grains. Pretty drastic change from the baseline to the improved version. I don't see much for "hot" loads until I get into the 85gr territory, but you'll want to be cautious. Obviously I accept no responsibility for what you're doing. ;)

3abRxfAh.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.