7-08 or 280Ai kimber Montana.

• 7-08

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • 280Ai

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters
If max distance is 400 yards I would go with the 708. Even a great elk gun at that distance. I have a buddy who does a ton of elk hunting and his browning xbolt 7mm rem mag never leaves the safe anymore, he shoots everything with a 708.

My wife and son both use 7-08 fr everything up to and including elk under 300 (Their realistic range).

I own a 7mm-08 84M Montana, and shoot/reload for a friends 280Ai mountain ascent. with the 24" barrel on the 280 I find it balances a little better (a couple more ounces on the muzzle). I have hunted with the 7mm-08 Montana for quite a few years now and the performance on sheep, mule deer and a lone bull elk has all been excellent. The 7mm-08 is roughly 2.5" shorter, so a little handier in the tight stuff, and is a little lighter. I don't think either would disappoint. One thing I will say is the 7mm-08 in my Montana does its best with 140gr flat base bullets - longer heavier boattails just don't fly as well or as fast as I'd like. comparison is 162 ELDX in my 7mm-08 will only run about 2550 to 2625fps with a variety of powders, while the 280AI was easy to get to 2925fps. 300fps is a fair spread.

I own a 7mm-08 84M Montana, and shoot/reload for a friends 280Ai mountain ascent. with the 24" barrel on the 280 I find it balances a little better (a couple more ounces on the muzzle). I have hunted with the 7mm-08 Montana for quite a few years now and the performance on sheep, mule deer and a lone bull elk has all been excellent. The 7mm-08 is roughly 2.5" shorter, so a little handier in the tight stuff, and is a little lighter. I don't think either would disappoint. One thing I will say is the 7mm-08 in my Montana does its best with 140gr flat base bullets - longer heavier boattails just don't fly as well or as fast as I'd like. comparison is 162 ELDX in my 7mm-08 will only run about 2550 to 2625fps with a variety of powders, while the 280AI was easy to get to 2925fps. 300fps is a fair spread.
Like the name (7mm Mike) Have you tried Reloader 26? I have had good success in the 280 AI with 168 gr Berger Hunting. Just remember with the VLD bullets to do a jump test to get them to shoot: https://bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/

Like the name (7mm Mike) Have you tried Reloader 26? I have had good success in the 280 AI with 168 gr Berger Hunting. Just remember with the VLD bullets to do a jump test to get them to shoot: https://bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/
Thanks FlyGuy11, I am in Alberta Canada, and have heard of this magic fairy dust called Reloader 26, but have not found it for sale anywhere yet... Would love to try some one day if I can find a reliable supply...

ShootAllDay,

To me the rifle selection is perfect for the intended use and as for caliber I would ask you this question: Do you hand-load? If No, go with the 7mm-08, If Yes, go with the 280 AI. I am guessing that this will not be a high volume round count rifle due to the intended purpose of hunting. Either way both rounds are more than capable to 400 yards but the 280 AI will give better energy on target for heavier game such as Elk. In 2017 dropped a cow Elk at 422 yards with a 280 AI and 1 shot; so it will do it (handloads)

Cheers
Ya I reload, tho I'd like to try the cheap ppu 7mm08 ammo can't beat the price. I've owned both and like them very much just hard to pick lol.

i like the 140s in 7mm I'm not much into long range stuff and I use a lot of flat base bullets. I have not handled a Montana in years, I have the hunters, the 84M felt better then the 84L but there stock is a bit heavier.[/QUOTE]

I have both an 84M in 7mm-08 & 84L in .280 A.I. . I have used the 7mm-08 on mule deer twice & it has worked very well with 140 Accubond handloads. The 280 A.I. has not been to the range yet as I just picked it up earlier this year. I am bow hunting elk this year, so no hurry to dial in the .280 A.I. yet. I am sure the 7mm-08 will handle elk out to 400 yards handily, just thought the .280 A.I. would offer a bit more energy with 150-160 grain bullets at distance. Not sure I need both, but always looking for an excuse to own another Kimber. I did set-up both rifles with Talley's & Leupold VX5 3x15x44 scopes (my personal favorite hunting scope).

I have both an 84M in 7mm-08 & 84L in .280 A.I. . I have used the 7mm-08 on mule deer twice & it has worked very well with 140 Accubond handloads. The 280 A.I. has not been to the range yet as I just picked it up earlier this year. I am bow hunting elk this year, so no hurry to dial in the .280 A.I. yet. I am sure the 7mm-08 will handle elk out to 400 yards handily, just thought the .280 A.I. would offer a bit more energy with 150-160 grain bullets at distance. Not sure I need both, but always looking for an excuse to own another Kimber. I did set-up both rifles with Talley's & Leupold VX5 3x15x44 scopes (my personal favorite hunting scope).
What one feels better to you in the hand, are your using breaks on them.

I think talleys are a given, wish I had the money for a vx5, hard enough to get the cash for the rifle.
do you know the max col you could fit in each,

What color are your stocks, there seems to be 3 colors guess the green is what the newest guns are.

The 7mm-08 can easily handle the higher BC 160gr to 168gr bullets out to 500 yds or more depending on the load. It will carry the same power than the 280AI does to say 700yds and the 7mm Rem Mag to 800 yds, again depending on the load.

Now excuses and/or reasons to get another rifle, I can thing of 10 of them right now ;)

I have hunted with a 300 Wim Mag for allot of years with great success. It's heavy and it has never failed me. But in the last 10 years it always goes with me as my backup rifle. But the 7-08 in a Rem 700 Classic with a complete accuracy tune was my match rifle shooting out to 600 yds. Because I backpack hunt for elk and deer. It became obvious to me that with 22" barrel and a lighter rifle I could hunt further, longer and higher. The 7-08 with 140gr Barnes TTSX has taken pigs, deer, antelope and elk out past 500 yards with authority. My hunting buddy 76 years young shoots the 280 AI it's a great shooting rifle. But the recoil is an issue with him. Remember the 280 is a necked down 30-06 so more powder and higher recoil. Not that's not a big deal. But as a couple of Ole Farts we prefer to spot our shot impacting the target. I'm building a new 243 AI for prairie dogs. My wife tells me I am too old. But I am an ole combat wounded Marine with TBI, PTSD, Diabetic, and wake up with a stiff one every other day. What do I know! SEMPER FEDELIS

Sorry for delayed response. My 7mm-08 is gray stock, non threaded barrel. Mag box length on 7mm-08 is 2.830". My .280 A.I. has a green stock & barrel is threaded, but I do not plan to use a brake. Mag box max. length is 3.348". Both have Talley rings. The gray stock versions are older than the green stock versions. As far as fell in the hand, both are good. I might favor the 84M slightly. I have also had Montana's in the 8400 action in .300 WSM & 30-06. I liked both & they shot well, but the 8400 is a bit heavier and in the WSM has a bit of a perch belly due to the larger diameter cartridge case I assume.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.