7-08 loads, New Bergara Ridge

Well guys, I've shot or owned about everything in 7mm, except 7-08, and am more excited about this one as any of its bigger and badder brothers. While knowing its at least a little similar to the 308, I'm sure someone's learned thing or two about it that I don't know. I'm thinking about 162ELD, and 145LRX, for hunting. Powder choices, bullets and weights, and thoughts appreciated. Don't know why I've never fooled with it before now. Magnum-itis!
Thanks 7
I have had 2 7-08 rifles for years and always go back to one of them when the new wears off of what ever I just bought .I have always had good luck with berger 150 or 168 at the speed they shoot bullets perform perfectly h-4350 for the 150 and hybrid 100v for the 168

So I got home and double checked my load I've been shooting in my 7mm08 it's 42.5 of imr 4064. It's not over max by the nosler book and shows no pressure signs but shoots vey well in my gun . So therefore I quite going up in weight.
As for bullets I've tried 130 gr speers , 145 gr speers, 120 gr sierras, and the 139 gr Hornady, and the winner is the 120 gr ballistic tip.
All bullets were tried over varget and 4064. In my rifle the 120 gr ballistic tips shoot the best . I could not get varget to shoot as tight of groups as I could with the 4064. I also was not able to obtain said velocities with the varget usually 50-100 FPS slower for some reason. My tc pro hunter has a 28 inch barrel so I do not believe barrel length was the problem .
With the imr powder I was roughly 75 to 100 FPS quicker than what was listed in the books. So who knows maybe I got a bad batch of varget.

I've been shooting a Rem 700 in 7-08 for over 30 years. Love the round, shot my first moose with it using a 140 gr nosler partition, 47.7 grs of H414 at 2816. My daughter used it in Africa, put it in a shortened thumb hole stock for her. We used a Barnes 120 gr TSX there, 50 grs of H414 for 2970. Latest test rounds using CFE 223 have given more velocity. Barnes 110 TTSX at 3127, 120 Nosler BT at 3082, Barnes 120 TSX at 3059 all with 48 grs of CFE223. The gun loves every 120 gr bullet I've shot in it. Same with the 139 gr Hornady and the Nosler 140 partition. Just started testing some ELD-X's and haven't found anything good yet.

I've been shooting a Rem 700 in 7-08 for over 30 years. Love the round, shot my first moose with it using a 140 gr nosler partition, 47.7 grs of H414 at 2816. My daughter used it in Africa, put it in a shortened thumb hole stock for her. We used a Barnes 120 gr TSX there, 50 grs of H414 for 2970. Latest test rounds using CFE 223 have given more velocity. Barnes 110 TTSX at 3127, 120 Nosler BT at 3082, Barnes 120 TSX at 3059 all with 48 grs of CFE223. The gun loves every 120 gr bullet I've shot in it. Same with the 139 gr Hornady and the Nosler 140 partition. Just started testing some ELD-X's and haven't found anything good yet.
I hsve nearly a pound of cfe223. Bought it for my .308, it didnt like it. The Barnes book lists it several times, and top speeds with the 120TTSX. I'm a Barnes freak from way back, and I'll ride thst pony if need be come deer season. I have used that same bullet in a .280, devastating! I hesitated to grab some 414 the other day, as I've heard it can be temp sensitive. My uncle has some, so I'll give it whirl if need be, but think that I have what I need to fire this thing up. Still dont know why I haven't shot this caliber before now. And don't know why it's not caught on better then it did. Sweetheart of a cartridge. Love my 7's!

Hey 7, I think it's a very popular cartridge. You can't read any article about deer hunting or rounds for kids, woman etc without the author mentioning the 7-08. Bought this one for my wife, she decided she didn't like it so I've used it a bunch.

My Kelbly Atlas 1:9 likes 140Berger hvld in Lapua brass over 40.6gr Varget. Averages in the .2's. Also likes 162 Hornady match over RE-15. Killed a lot of deer with both bullets from 20-500 yards.

I hsve nearly a pound of cfe223. Bought it for my .308, it didnt like it. The Barnes book lists it several times, and top speeds with the 120TTSX. I'm a Barnes freak from way back, and I'll ride thst pony if need be come deer season. I have used that same bullet in a .280, devastating! I hesitated to grab some 414 the other day, as I've heard it can be temp sensitive. My uncle has some, so I'll give it whirl if need be, but think that I have what I need to fire this thing up. Still dont know why I haven't shot this caliber before now. And don't know why it's not caught on better then it did. Sweetheart of a cartridge. Love my 7's!
Watch the cfe223 it is also temp sensitive maybe not as bad as 414

I have had 2 7-08 rifles for years and always go back to one of them when the new wears off of what ever I just bought .I have always had good luck with berger 150 or 168 at the speed they shoot bullets perform perfectly h-4350 for the 150 and hybrid 100v for the 168
I've never tried H-100V but it is in the proper burn range for this cartridge. I was planning on trying it next summer. What kind of success and loads are you using. TKS

I've never tried H-100V but it is in the proper burn range for this cartridge. I was planning on trying it next summer. What kind of success and loads are you using. TKS
I am running 43.2 of the hybrid 100 with the 168 berger this is in lapua palma brass neck turned of course with cci br4 primer seating at the lands 24 inch barrel 2570 fps I have seen no pressure signs even on 100 degree days

Guys a little range report. Took the Bergara out yesterday, with samples, five each, 139, interlock, 150 smk, 140TTSX, all with 41.1, Varget. These loads were all unimpressive. Shot another load, using RL17, and 150 AB.
The first three went into a hole, the remainders, off a little, aggregate of about 3/4 minute. I had headroom, on each load, and will certainly revisit the AB load, and RL17. Gun and scope performed and functioned awesome. Shot total of 40 rds. Shot and cleaned mostly in the beginning.
When I finished , I was just burning through the remainder of the factory Hornady Superformance, with 139 SST,s, and set a target out at 400 yds. Made corrections to 400 drop in, and first shot was 1/2 off of center on target. Not so much with the rest, but no whitetail would have walked away.
Got fourty fresh pieces of fire formed brass to play with now, and recipes to modify. Pretty pleased so far!

What scope are you running? Did you put an Optika6 on it?
Yes I did. Went with 3-18x50, with BDC, Optika6. Incredible optics, and clarity, parralax is spot on. You can count the blades of grass on high power. Shot a few rounds at 400 yesterday, returned to what I was set at, right on the money. This is easily $1300 glass, for half the money.
Really pleased with whole package. This thing is gonna be a shooter.

7-08 with Varget and Hammer Hunters (131 grain) is a perfect combination, in my view. I get 2940 fps in an accurate load.
I spoke with Steve last week about that bullet, and I believe he recommended Varget as well. I'm sure I'll be talking to him soon. How does it shoot for you? Thanks, 7

It was recommended to me to try 140 gr nosler Spitzer ballistic tips with round rl17. 46 grains but it's close to max.
I also added a brake to tame it down to help with accuracy.
That load works, I shot it today, with 140TTSX. Just over 3/4 inch, at 150 yds. That RL17 has some authority when fired. It even has a different muzzle report. I noticed that when I shot it in my .280 a few years ago! First three in a ragged hole!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.