7-08 loads, New Bergara Ridge

I zing 120 TTSX's at 3150 with CFE223 out of a 19" barrel. It been like the hand of god on mule deer and elk. Also 140 grain E-tips have been amazing but don't recall FPS, 7-08 of course...
Those 120 TTSX are lightening. Ive seen them first hand, out of a .280, at about same speed, DRT. It was the one and only Barnes recovered. Shot through, long way, knotted up in right hind quarter hide. Perfect mushroom, 100 percent retention. May have to try that one for hunting. Smoke some foxes too!

Big Game is best friends with my 7mm08, 120's and 140's.
50-51 grains has the 120's at 3,050-3,100
47.5 grains has the 140 AB at 2,890.

it's almost unfair. Instant death!
Never have shot Big Game powder, but have heard good things about it. I like the speed on the 140AB. I have s box of ct, 140's, but decided no moly in this gun. That stuff is brutal to get out. They shoot good though! Thanks for feedback!

Varget is your friend for the 7mm08 with 120s and 140s.
I agree, and its always bern my go to powder for this case size, and works awesome in Creeds as well. Was also thinking of RL17. And Winchester has the StaBall powder. Haven't seen any yet. Got some grocery shopping to do next week!

One bullet, thst I'm curious about, is the Berger, 168 vld, match. I have shot this bullet in a super accurate 700p, a few years back, and it was nothing at all to shoot 1/4 groups, @200. I know speed isn't going to be impressive, but target work might be. But at $60 a box, maybe stay with the 162 ELDM.

It was recommended to me to try 140 gr nosler Spitzer ballistic tips with round rl17. 46 grains but it's close to max.
I also added a brake to tame it down to help with accuracy.

Last edited:
It was recommended to me to try 140 gr8 nosler Spitzer ballistic tips with round 17. 46 grains but it's close to max.
I also added a brake to take it down to help with accuracy.
I like that powder, and may have to give it a whirl, due to Varget being scarce. That load I'm sure, is smoking along pretty good. I believe 17 is one of the high energy powders. IIts gonna be a fun ride! Love the sevens!

Well I shot my tikka t3 7/08 today with that combo. I couldn't group to save my life. I'm so mad I could spit nickels.

Well guys, did a little grocery shopping today, csme home with, 4064, IMR4350, and RL17. Also, 150 smk, 150AB, and 139 Interlocks. Br2, 210 gm, and wlr primers. Some of which are for this project, some not. Really having info problems getting good start-stop loads using RL17. And the info on 4064, and 4350 is all over the place. Two of the powders are also for 6.5 creed, as well as primers. Want to play with the smk's, just to see the potential.
Brought the rifle home today as well, and have been drooling over it all day. RCBS dies are all set up, have comp die seater, that Ive had for years too. Thoughts on the 150 smk?
Also have a little varget!

My dad taught me many lessons in life, work hard, treat people right and most importantly, use you hard earned hay baling money wisely as a 13 yr old and buy a 700 BDL in 7mm-08 as your first non hand-me-down deer rifle. That was almost 30 years ago and it has put a ton (literally) of meat in the freezer. I have moved up in caliber a few times, but still have that rifle, and a few more 7-08s. Now the wife and kids are onto them and still putting meat in the freezer. Awesome caliber for adults, woman, children....anyone who wants a stone cold killer on medium sized game. Very versatile and underrated round. 120 grain Barnes TTSX for the little guys, 150 Grain ELDX for the bigger guys who can handle a little more recoil.
What is your recipe on the 150ELDX? Curious!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.