7-08 loads, New Bergara Ridge

I've been looking for something to replace the model70 featherweight 280 I sold years ago. Was looking at the 6.5prc but the more I see what's possible with the 7mm/08 with modern powders and the available components, thinking that's what I'm getting

A man after my own heart. The 120's are on my radar for sure, but I want to try some match bullets first. Thank you bud.
I can tell you this, I smoked a largish cull deer a few years ago, with my 280, that had a 120 TTSX in it,that was about 3100, and it was is lightening stuck him. I'm not afraid of a 120 weight bullet. Just want to stretch out the legs a little.

I can tell you this, I smoked a largish cull deer a few years ago, with my 280, that had a 120 TTSX in it,that was about 3100, and it was is lightening stuck him. I'm not afraid of a 120 weight bullet. Just want to stretch out the legs a little.
Not exactly the same, but this echoes my experience with the 25-06 + 120 class bullets at about the same velocity...they just fall over dead.

I've been looking for something to replace the model70 featherweight 280 I sold years ago. Was looking at the 6.5prc but the more I see what's possible with the 7mm/08 with modern powders and the available components, thinking that's what I'm getting
Okie, I couldn't agree more. I've bought a barge load of rifles over the years, and I don't think I've ever been as excited as I am with this one. It all started with the caliber, then I found a gun that I wanted it in, then decided on scope, and the rest is history. I've hop scotched around this round enough, now it's play time.

Mine is a custom rifle built on a 98 action, with a thin barrel. It love the Nosler AB with Varget. Tried other powders, bu Varget shot the best.

I truly don't know why I've not looked at this cartridge before. I've had ever thing around it though!

Me too. It's been around since 1980. I guess it takes me a while to warm up to things. Either that, or I've been buried under a rock somewhere. Probably a combination of both - at least that's what the Senior Houshold Executive has told me.

My dad taught me many lessons in life, work hard, treat people right and most importantly, use you hard earned hay baling money wisely as a 13 yr old and buy a 700 BDL in 7mm-08 as your first non hand-me-down deer rifle. That was almost 30 years ago and it has put a ton (literally) of meat in the freezer. I have moved up in caliber a few times, but still have that rifle, and a few more 7-08s. Now the wife and kids are onto them and still putting meat in the freezer. Awesome caliber for adults, woman, children....anyone who wants a stone cold killer on medium sized game. Very versatile and underrated round. 120 grain Barnes TTSX for the little guys, 150 Grain ELDX for the bigger guys who can handle a little more recoil.

I zing 120 TTSX's at 3150 with CFE223 out of a 19" barrel. It been like the hand of god on mule deer and elk. Also 140 grain E-tips have been amazing but don't recall FPS, 7-08 of course...

Get some Lapua brass, fed 215's, R#17, and 165g Sierra Game changers. You will be very happy as the distance increases.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts