7-08 Help

Ok so I didn't respond till now because the op had ask originally about the 140 gr ballistic tips . So out of my 7 mm08 I've shot nosler bt 120 gr , speer 130 gr, Speer 145 gr , sierras 120, and 140 game kings ,and Hornady 139 btsp and the 154 sst . All over imr 4064. I also tried them all over varget . Apparently I have the only 7 mm 08 that does not like varget . Of all those bullets the 120 nosler ballistic tip shoots the best . I'm right at 3000 fps with a fairly mild load. It opens up the group going any higher of a powder charge. My tc pro hunter really likes this load. It will shoot ten shots into a 3/4 inch group at 100 easily.

Now my oldest son has a cheap savage axis that will shoot every one of those bullet that I mentioned very well . All right at or under an inch group . I was really hoping that the 130 gr speers would shoot lights out because man they were cheap . Notice how I said were cheap . They may be again when we can find them maybe

I've had a few 7-08 and it's one of my favorite rounds
I had a Sako finnlight that I shot 120 ttsx at 3250 FPS with CFE 223 which was a great killer. CFE is not that temp stable but I didn't care since I live in northern Canada
My other rifle was a Christiansen ridgeline
Which was one of my most accurate rifles I've had. it shot 150 eldx at 2890 FPS with RL17.

Getting ready to start testing for a 22" Remington 700 sporter. This will be my primary whitetail gun. I'm planning to go with 140 gr Nosler BT bullets. Not really sure where to start. I have the following powders- H4350, IMR4350, 7828ssc, H4895. Using Hornady brass and I have F210 primers. Any personal experiences would be appreciated. Thank you
Blc2 is what I use, 46-47g, in my rem 700 mtn rifle, but I shoot 120 and 130g bullets, tsx, nosBT, and good old Speer flat base. The Barnes 120 ttsx went into almost one hole at 100yds, need to revisit them.

Last edited:
Thanks Outdrmn, I got them them to group nicely on my 7mm-08 wIth RL17, plan on trying them out on deer this year.
How many grains did you end up with? I've got the same combination that I'm going to try out, if it works well this could be a really good overall setup.

How many grains did you end up with? I've got the same combination that I'm going to try out, if it works well this could be a really good overall setup.

For the 150gr ELD-X it's 45.5gr of RL17, Nosler brass and GM210M's and a COAL of 2.80". I tried RL17 because I wanted to push it as fast as I could and try to take advantage of its high BC.

For the 150gr ELD-X it's 45.5gr of RL17, Nosler brass and GM210M's and a COAL of 2.80". I tried RL17 because I wanted to push it as fast as I could and try to take advantage of its high BC.
Sounds good. I've got several depths loaded up with 46 grains with Fed 210 primers. Starting at 2.926" OAL back down to 2.866" OAL. In Winchester brass.

I like Nosler BT, I use 120's
My first factory ammo was 139gn SST, dropped pigs and I'm under the Whitetail are not that tough, but still deserve a quick kill.
Too many pages here but I think your Varget made by ADI in Australia is suited to the 7mm-08.
And the 7mm-08 is a great little Round .
Honestly it's the projectile s that count so long as you get a good hit..
I like your choice of cartridge

My custom 7-08 loves the 140 gr. Accubond over 41.9 grs. Varget, Tried other powders, nothing else shot as well.

Today's results were a start and that's about it.
I used 140gr Nosler BT, H4895, Fed 210, Hornady brass. Also a couple factory loads. 22" Remington 700 sporter. 100 yards

Factory Superformance 139 SST- 1.48"
Hornady PH 150 ELDX- 1.24"

H4895 loads
39gr- 1.126"
39.5- 0.972"
40- 1.109"
41- 1.26"

these were all 5 shot groups. I'm gonna try the H4895 below 39gr and see what it does. This gun will be primarily used from 50-300 yards, so I'm not chasing high velocity. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna start working through the H4350

how much jump to the lands ?

Getting ready to start testing for a 22" Remington 700 sporter. This will be my primary whitetail gun. I'm planning to go with 140 gr Nosler BT bullets. Not really sure where to start. I have the following powders- H4350, IMR4350, 7828ssc, H4895. Using Hornady brass and I have F210 primers. Any personal experiences would be appreciated. Thank you
Nosler #9 lists the max load with imr4350 as most accurate load tested with that powder. I have over the years stuck with that mindset for my reloading with typically very decent results. Always test at distances to make sure the bullet path is consistently stable over whatever distance you're expecting. Remember, it's minute of vital zone, not bugeye groups you're seeking.

Nosler #9 lists the max load with imr4350 as most accurate load tested with that powder. I have over the years stuck with that mindset for my reloading with typically very decent results. Always test at distances to make sure the bullet path is consistently stable over whatever distance you're expecting. Remember, it's minute of vital zone, not bugeye groups you're seeking.
Where in central Vt are you from? I grew up in Barre, been hunting in and around Corinth since the early 80s. Hunting success has changed dramatically since those days.

IMR-4350 has always been a very accurate powder, I still use it on my Silhouette 7mm-08. Once I use what I have left I'll provably try H4350 because it's less temp sensitive.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.