7-08 Help

Would start with the IMR4350 and H4350 both seem to work well in that case size. I have found Varget to be less temp sensitive, and has less case fill. Good velocity in a 20"bbl and Fed210m or CCI BR2 are both good primers. I'm switching over from Norma to Lapua brass but again both work well.

I would have to say it is one of the easiest rounds I've found to load for and death on deer. I like accubonds and interbonds because of my hunting and shooting style. Good Shooting!

The 7mm-08 is an equal opportunity powder burner - I used all sorts of powders including H4350 with Nosler 140 & 150 BT's to shoot down silhouette chickens at 1000. Should I have a selection of bullets for whitetail deers with the 7mm-08, I would opt for 139 Hornady SST's but the ordinary Hornady 139 SPBT's are entirely satisfactory.

The 7mm-08 is an equal opportunity powder burner - I used all sorts of powders including H4350 with Nosler 140 & 150 BT's to shoot down silhouette chickens at 1000. Should I have a selection of bullets for whitetail deers with the 7mm-08, I would opt for 139 Hornady SST's but the ordinary Hornady 139 SPBT's are entirely satisfactory.

The 7mm-08 and the 139gr SST are a match made in heaven. The velocities of this cartridge are perfect for this bullet. My favorite deer bullet on it so far.

The 7mm-08 and the 139gr SST are a match made in heaven. The velocities of this cartridge are perfect for this bullet. My favorite deer bullet on it so far.
You'd have to try pretty hard to not find a suitable bullet for it. I have Remington 700 Ti and a Kimber 84M classic in the '08. My wife confiscated the Ti after I screwed on a sporter barrel at 23". She said she liked the way it balanced and shot. 😡

You'd have to try pretty hard to not find a suitable bullet for it. I have Remington 700 Ti and a Kimber 84M classic in the '08. My wife confiscated the Ti after I screwed on a sporter barrel at 23". She said she liked the way it balanced and shot. 😡

The reason why my wife and I have the same rifle. Rem 700 SPS Buckmasters twins, same scope, except her trigger is TriggerTech and mine is a Timney. Not worried of her stealing mine, at least for now LOL

The reason why my wife and I have the same rifle. Rem 700 SPS Buckmasters twins, same scope, except her trigger is TriggerTech and mine is a Timney. Not worried of her stealing mine, at least for now LOL
LV, that is the exact gun I have also. Although I recently changed out the stock, and dropped in a Timney.

7-08 with a 139. Ive actually had it happen twice.

Dang I've never seen that with the 7mm-08. I've taken a few deer with it and a couple of them under 100 yds, one of them a nice large desert mulie and have not had that problem.

I am pushing them just under 2,800 fps with 41.5gr IMR-4064 and GM210M's. Also taken several javelinas under 100 yds with it, one at 55 yds and another at 70 yds and complete pass through head shots, no blow ups.

The 140gr Ballistic Tip is a great choice though

LV, that is the exact gun I have also. Although I recently changed out the stock, and dropped in a Timney.

We love these rifles, very accurate. My wife's does shoots a bit better than mine though. Ot shoots cloverleafs woth 120gr Ballistic Tip and the 162gr A-Max, 0.4" with 139gr SST and half inch with 150gr Balllistic Tip.

Both rifles love almost every bullets I've tried on them, they did not like Hammers though.

I've found the 7-08 easy to load for .it seems everything shoots good , and some shoot great . I use a 120 ballistic tip with a slightly reduced load of H4895 in a browning X-bolt . Denise has one buck with this combo . I use a 139BTSP with IMR4064 at about 2850FPS in my Tikka . I've killed more deer with this load and Tikka rifle , than any other rifle ,it just flat out works on deer . my other rifle is a trued up rem with a 24" broughton bbl . I use a 140 Berger and RL17 powder at 3080 FPS . it has taken a lot of groundhogs .

I just did some looking at quickload , on the powders you have .
the two 4350's to get a max pressure load you're getting into compressed powder charges of about 110% . I don't like working with much more than about 105% .

IMR7828 is out of the question . max pressure load is about 121% case fill '
IMR7828sc , better but not good , max pressure load is at 115% case fill .

so for me I'd be working with H4895 . it will give a max pressure load at 95% case fill . with a 140 Ballistic tip , a 22" bbl , a max load of H4895 ( 41.5 grains ) will give 2833FPS . a starting load 86% case fill (37.5 grains ) gives 2588 FPS .

the ballistic tip bullets I have worked with in the past seem to like a jump of about .020 .

I suggest you find your lands , and get a .020 jump . make sure this length ammo will fit your magazine . if it fits start at min loads and work up towards the max in 0.5 grain increments . I'd shoot 3 shot groups and see what things look like when getting close to the max powder charges . I think you'll be happy with the results .

hope this helps , Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.