7-08 barrel brand suggestions

2tall

A friend of mine is jealous of my rifle build and wants to start one of his own. Platform is currently a bone stock stevens 200 in 308. He wants a new barrel in varmint contour in stainless. Ive talked him into a 7-08. The gun will be used 50% hunting 50% target. He found an er shaw barrel with everything he wants for $200 with 1-9.5 twist. He also found a mc gowen barrel with everything he wants for $290 with a 1-9 twist. I told him i think he would be worlds ahead to get the mc gowen. My build is a pac nor 280 ackley and i shoot 162 amax for paper and deer and was thinking not only should the mc gowen be a better barrel but the slightly faster twist might handle the 162 amax bullets better if we use those bullets in his gun too. Hes not looking for a benchrest grade barrel like bartlein or something crazy expensive. Would that mc gowen be a good comprise for price/value?

This is my personal opinion, but I think it makes sense. In the scheme of things, a few more $$ for a top barrel is $$ well spent! I have settled for lesser grade, and/or cheaper barrels a couple of times in the past and will not do it again. Sure, you might get a good one, but the chances of a not so good are much higher. I would just buy a Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja, Brux, or one of the other top manufacturers and cut corners somewhere else.....Rich

If I was sitting on a savage short action for a build I would no doubt put a criterion barrel in 6.5 creedmoor on it.

My 280 criterion is capable of 1/4min... I haven't had a chance to work up my 308 barrel.

I just got that mcgowen barrel (for $290, but when with sport/factory contour) for a budget hunting rifle. I'm a ways off from shooting it. I'm going to. cerakote it in a week or two and then I'll get into load developments.

I don't have a lot of experience in high end barrels, but went with the mcgowen as middle of the road balance.

Thats really all my friend needs, middle of the road. A step up from factory but nothing too expensive. If money where no object he would have ordered 10 barrels each of the finest brands and kept the best one, but hes got a tight budget and im afraid if it comes down to either buying a top brand barrel or saying screw this project, he'll say screw it.

Thats really all my friend needs, middle of the road. A step up from factory but nothing too expensive. If money where no object he would have ordered 10 barrels each of the finest brands and kept the best one, but hes got a tight budget and im afraid if it comes down to either buying a top brand barrel or saying screw this project, he'll say screw it.

There really isn't much difference between in price "high end" barrels and others until you get down to the er shaws which some will argue are equal to factory. One major difference is most do not prefit for savage, that will be the bulk of the cost difference.

Northland shooter supply inventory:

26″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 6.5 Creedmoor – 8 Twist – $300.00

• 26″ – Stainless Match – Small Shank – Varmint – 7mm-08 – 9 Twist – $300.00

Criterion (CBI) is a sister company of kreiger and have proven themselves over and over again. I would not hesitate to spend the extra $10+shipping. I know a national title was won w/ a CBI 308 barrel.

**also don't forget to pick up a recoil lug and machined nut.. Jim at northland is a wealth of knowledge and a good guy to talk to.

Thanks for that reply, he was originally wanting an er shaw because hes a tight wad. I finally talked him into a mc gowen barrel but that was like pulling teeth. But i showed him your post about criterion and he saw "krieger sister" and "competition" and "world record" and only 10 dollars more and now hes all fired up about ordering that criterion! I actually have heard of them but did not know they where that cheep. Im actually kind of excited about this build and its not even mine lol we're sticking with 7-08. I think the word creedmore scares him. He owns nothing but rifles chambered in military cartridges. So 7-08 is a big step for him lol i know he'll be happy with it.

Of the prefits out there I think the CBI's are at the uppermost part of the pile. There is plenty of supporting info on savage shooters. And do not skip on the lug and nut, the factory stuff is junk compared to aftermarket parts, remember always "cry once".

I have a factory 7-08 that puts nosler 140's and barnes lrx 145's in the same hole, but I wish it was a creedmoor.

I would do some serious research before you guys dive into this. I've never seen a 7-08 on the Fclass line, but I've seen a few creedmoors and I've seen them come with competitive scores against 284's.

EDIT: I came across this statement and found it interesting and something to consider...... "This might be a different thread, but I have responded to this question, specifically, before. I use a 7mm-08 to get to one mile. I have a 26" barrel with a 1-8" twist. That will stabilize a 180 gr. VLD type bullet. Using slow powder I can get this moving at 2700 fps."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.