6x47 or 6br

backwoods hunter

I'm kicking around getting a new long range varmint gun built that is easy on barrels and pocket book to shoot. Since groundhogs don't pay much. I want to take some pressure of my 25-06 and 7 Stw. I'm not really stuck on either. I would like to hear your thoughts. I'm not beyond a 308 either.

repeater or single shot?

I have been told by some dasher fans that the 6X47lapua might edge it out on feeding. I don't know of anyone who has a 6br or dasher repeater. Anyone have one? I would love to hear some experience on one. If you are in fact doing a single shot I would go with the dasher or br. You get a similar velocity with less powder.

Mine was a repeater that is why I went 6X47lapua. HS center feed clip works flawlessly.

6X47lapua you can expect around 3000rounds. VV560 41.2grs 115dtac 3050fps.

Brent

Last edited:
I vote for the 6mmbr. I just got mine finished a few weeks ago. Wby Vanguard / Howa action. BC stock, Kreiger 1 in 8 twist Varmint , Holland brake, Ken Ferrel 20 moa base, NF rings, 4-14x50 IOR tctical with a MP-8 dot. It will pound 107 SMK's or 87 gr V-maxes into one ragged holes. I have had it out shooting gophers and took a few to 400 with ease. On the way home spotted a yote in a wheat field. 653 yards facing me, dialed up 16.25 and sent a 107 SMK through him long ways..:D I probably didnt need the brake, but with it, recoil is ZERO. I watch every hit through the scope even at 25 yards on a gopher.
Lapua brass for $70 / 100 bullets for $25 /100 and 30 gr of Varget or RL 15.

One problem though.... My wife likes it too, she took claim to it last Sat eve as we were shooting steel at 1000 yards. She hit the 2 1/2" orange dot on my target. It took her 3 shots though.... The other two were 4 1/2" off, darn show off..:rolleyes:

I love this rifle and wish I would have built one years ago.

Jeff gun)gun)

DSC02113Large.jpg

good point brass is cheaper in the 6br. but with both cal. how much brass will you actually wear out. Im leaning toward the 6br though.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.