6X47 Lapua vs 6BR

grit

Time for a nice 6. I'm considering the two calibers mentioned. Rifle components will include Darrel Holland stock (like the McMillan BDL), Surgeon RSR, and a Brux #5. That's the size and shape. Sort of packable size hunting / varminting / plinking rig. Might shoot f class or other informal long range comps too.

Mostly I play around hunting or "field practising" at long range. 600 yards plus, mostly plus. I plan to run a 105 - 115 type bullet.

I'm just looking for some conversation about any advantages one has over the other, real or imagined. Barrel life, terminal performance, versatility, ease of loading.... whatever.

Thanks for the input.

the 6mmBR, Dasher, BRX and BRDX are dominating the 600 and to some extent the 1000 BR matches. They are competititive F class guns also

For some reason, the 6x47 just is not as accurate in competition as seen by most. However, unless you are trying for a top end comp gun, most would not tell the difference.

My BRDX will run 105-107s around 2950-3025 fps quite easily in a 1-8 twist. The BR cases are not the best choice for the 115s though.

If you want the 115s, the the 6x47 with most running the 1-7.5 twist and will need the reamer made for the 115s

Go with no neck turn on either at .272 and make sure the throat is set for the weight range bullets you want.

BH

I have had good results with the 6x47L. Barney Lawton (before he got sick and died) also had good results with the 6x47L and the long dasher.
I have a couple of 6x47's and like them, and am soon to get a 6.5x47L.

Thanks guys! I am inclined towards the Lapua for the extra velocity past 600. Looking at 111Dtac's... Any guesses on difference in barrel life assuming high end loads in both?

Thanks guys! I am inclined towards the Lapua for the extra velocity past 600. Looking at 111Dtac's... Any guesses on difference in barrel life assuming high end loads in both?

Grit,
I waited a half a year for 111's and they finally said they were not going to make them because they didn't work out. Even though they show them on their website, I called them and they said they were not planning on making the 111's and were just going to stick with the 115's. Maybe they had problems with the polymer tip?
(this was about a year and a half ago so I checked today on their website and they still had them there and I called and they told me the same thing.....)

As far as the 6x47 vs. the 6br. I have had both and prefer the 6x47 for my style of shooting. 1,000yd. "F" class in windy conditions and long range varmint shooting. This may be different if I were shooting bench-rest in low wind conditions, but I don't see that happening in the near future,.......low winds in ND?? and I think carrying a bench around would just wear me out...
Nate

Last edited:
Nate,
I believe you are correct. It came down to an accuracy issue and the 111's were not as accurate as the 115's.

I cannot say how many rounds you will get out of a BR as I have not worn one out yet, still working on it. I love the BR amazingly consistant round IMO. The 6x47 can be as accurate but seems a little more finicky.

I can say that my kreiger 7.5 twist 6x47 barrel shooting 115 dtacs and bergers using vv560 (not known as a barrel friendly powder) had at least 2700 accurate rounds in it. It was still competitive when I pulled the barrel. I only have about 800 down the new barrel and it is shooting great.

On the other hand Don Geraci only got 450 rounds out of a 6x47 shooting 105 dtacs and varget. He suspects that the barrel may have been a problem barrel, or that the varget caused the extreme throat erosion. He set it back a couple inches and is giving it another try, seems to be working pretty good.

For f-class we usually beat up on the 6brs with the 6x47 the higher bc of the 115s couple with the additional velocity gives a little more wind reading wiggle room. Not saying we always beat the BRs because there is one old guy that used to kick our butts with his BR. But it was because he is a heck of a shooter and very very good wind reader. We are in real trouble now he switched to the 6x47. I doubt we can beat him on any day now wind or not. I think he just won the LA state match using it.

Thanks, thanks.

Nate, just keep up with your wifes cookin' and you'll be carrying a bench around soon enough!

How about availability of the 115's? Is it an issue?

I think the only draw to the BR for me is barrel life. With my "other" rifle I'm expecting 1500-2000 rounds of barrel life and have run 500 rounds through it in a short season. I expect this 6 will get shot significantly more. Hate to have to rebarrel every year.

Grit,

Forgive me if I missed it, but is it going to be a repeater. I get a uniqe experience to visit often with one of the guys who started the 6mm craze. I asked which would be better the 6X47lapua or the 6 dasher when I was having Nate build mine. His response was the dasher will drive them just as fast with less powder, but the lapua might edge it out in feeding. The short fat cases might give you a problem with feeding. I don't think you will go wrong with either I just thought I would pass the info along.

Brent

My first intial thoughts were.... What a challenge to get a load, Thanks to these forms, there seems to be an abundance of load information for the 6X47L.
Im anxious to see the finished product, and how the 6X47 performs down stream, After seeing the posts, Im feeling better about the cartridge, having little experience in long range (Meaning anything beyond 500yds) varmint shoots...
This being a huge change from sending my standard 22-250 50gr, nosler to meet and great a prarrie dog, Im in hopes that the 105s make a mess of them.
Thanks!gun)

Grit,

Forgive me if I missed it, but is it going to be a repeater. I get a uniqe experience to visit often with one of the guys who started the 6mm craze. I asked which would be better the 6X47lapua or the 6 dasher when I was having Nate build mine. His response was the dasher will drive them just as fast with less powder, but the lapua might edge it out in feeding. The short fat cases might give you a problem with feeding. I don't think you will go wrong with either I just thought I would pass the info along.

Brent

+1

Good point. the 6x47 will definitely feed better because of the shoulder angle and with the .373
bolt face dia. and if you want to change cartridges later a barrel change will be easy.

Also the 6x47 can be Improved very easy and with the lapua brass and a 35o to 37o shoulder
still feed good. you can also use 6x47 factory loads when fire forming.

The 6mm PPC is no doubt one of the greatest 6mm's available and has enough power for what
you want, but for pure hunting I would choose the 6x47 or even the 6.5x47.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts