6x47 Lapua F-Class open rig

eddybo

I dont really like to post pics of my guns for my own strange reasons but I am really pleased with this one. It is my new f-class gun to replace my old 6x47 lapua. You guessed its a 6x47 also. My old gun will serve as back up and as a loaner to try and get others involved.

My nephews helped my fireform my brass for my first match. They fired 65 rounds through it. They hit my 800 yard gong 61 times.....not bad for 13 and 9 years old. (I actually think they missed the gong on purpose the other 4 shots trying to hit an old rattle paint can that on the ground beside the gong) No first place finishes yet, but I got a couple of seconds.

It is a Bat action in a Robertson Composit stock with a 28 inch kreiger 1.25 straight 7.5 twist. I topped it with a 12x42BR nightforce. I shoot 115 bergers out of it at 3120ish using 42gr of VV560 and WSR primers.

olblue.jpg

the bedding finaly dried huh?

**** , now I'm gonna have to get my lowley little rem M-7 finished up , I think I'm gonna put a BSA scope on it just to add insult to injuy when it beat you and Mr Don.:p
If my freakin single shot follower would ever get here so i can finish bedding the thing.

That is a sweet rig , the photo doesen't do it justice.

sounds like alot of guys are going to the 6x47 lapua.i thought mine was nice but, im glad mine wont be going against yours on looks. thats a beauty.

That 6x47 Lapua turns in some pretty impressive numbers for such a small case with heavy bullets , and the barrel life he got out of the last one he built thats still competitive is amazing. If we could just scale this round up about 30% it would make an awsome LR hunting round.

Thanks guys...This one looks better than my old one, and shoots pretty good to boot.

I am still shooting bare 115 bergers in the new gun, but switched to coated DTACS in the old gun.

I love this little case so much I had a 6.5x47 built and a 22-6.5x47 built....both exceeded my expectations. James is right if we could triple the size of this case and keep the accuracy we would have something.

BB....I take f-class fairly seriously.......until the shooting begins....then its just about the fun of trying to knock the spindle out of the spotter. That is provided the spotter is in the x ring:) I sometimes forget it is a competition I am having so much fun. Most fun I have ever had fully dressed and sober.

Great rifle. Is that a Speedy designed F-Class stock? We have similar tastes, I will hopefully have a picture of my new rifle up in a month. Our builds are similar but I went with the dasher and 105's.

Glad to hear you're having good results with the 6-6.5x47L... I was about >< this close to chambering a Rock 6mm 1-7.8" twist barrel in that cartridge, but at the time I was reading some reports that seemed to indicate the 1k BR shooters who'd tried it had gave up and either got a new barrel, or had it set back to something else 6mm. I went with a 6mm Dasher as a result, seems to be pretty much no wrong way to go with that one ;) Maybe if the 6-6.6x47L does pan out for folks, I might just go that route on the 'next' barrel ;)

That is the Robinson Composit Speedy F-Class stock. I like the feel of it better shooting prone than the Tooley/MBR on my old gun. The Tooley was okay until I tried this one. My old gun is a RB/LP 3lug which I find to be a hassle when shooting prone. The new gun is right/right so that may be the reason I feel more comfortable with the new gun.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems:eek: is a surprise to me. My old 6x47 shot a bunch of 300 yard .2 ctc groups and several sub inch 600 yard groups. Maybe my smith just has a good reamer, I dunno? I know he has chambered up at least a dozen of these and everyone that has it thinks it is the cat's meow. I feel that mine is more accurate than a 6br with the ability to run heavier bullets faster. I never played with the type powders that I ran in mine, maybe that is part of the reason I like it so much. I started with VV160 and later switched to VV560 for a little better case fill and velocity. My 42 gr load is about 10% compressed with the 115s but shoots. I dont feel like I am giving up anything to a 6.5x284 with this case and actually feel that I have an accuracy advantage. But hey, maybe its just the reamer. James Jones from this site had one chambered by the same smith maybe he will get his up and running and give us a report. I know a few folks gave up on the 6.5x47 as IMO it needs a little more capacity to be competitive past 600, but have heard no complaints from the 6s.

Eddy,

Like I said, I'm keepin' an eye out ;) For some reason I have a hankerin' for a .300 WSM for F-Class/hunting/600-1k BR, but if I set aside the 'hunting' part and stuck w/ my .308(s) for that, I'd be looking at a 6-6.5x47L or something similar!

Monte

Last edited:
right now i have a 6x47 that nathan at ssg built for f class. i have shot many 1/2moa goups out to 600. i havent shot it yet to 1000 but i am very pleased with it so far. i took it back to my smiths and we shot it. now i will be competing against 2 other 6x47's. nate at ssg and a customer that wants to shoot f class. for a small shoot in central ND thats alot...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts