6x45 Who's using it?

I've been using the 6 x 45 for years as a pest control rig for my company. I don't remember any animals lost to this round. Mostly coyotes pigs and ground squirrels. It always killed way above my expectations. I never took too much time for precision reloading just ran the brass through a sizer die very easy. Acquired a few thousand 85 grain sierra game king's and never really used anything else. The Rifle got the nickname the switch because everything it hit was lights out. Always kept my shots within 300 yards on the larger animals though.Very easy to see your hits also because of the light recoil. Would be an excellent Rifle to start kids hunting with.

Hawkeye Pierce,
I haven't had any feed issues using the ASC Mags loading out to 2.3" yet but I've only tried Speer 70 gr TNT's.
When it warms up a little and I can get out to the range I have some 87 gr V-Max's and 85 gr Sierras I want to try.

As far as uppers Aero Precision M4E1 are pretty good. I have side charging uppers on all of mine, New Frontier and Cross Hill Tech.
They are heavier but I like them better when shooting off a bench.

Last edited:
Hawkeye Pierce,
I haven't had any feed issues using the ASC Mags loading out to 2.3" yet but I've only tried Speer 70 gr TNT's.
When it warms up a little and I can get out to the range I have some 87 gr V-Max's and 85 gr Sierras I want to try.

As far as uppers Aero Precision M4E1 are pretty good. I have side charging uppers on all of mine, New Frontier and Cross Hill Tech.
They are heavier but I like them better when shooting off a bench.

OUTSTANDING, let me know how they go.
Aero makes a side charger? Is it a non reciprocating one?

I can definitely recommend the Geissle SSA-E. Two stage, very reliable and repeatable trigger pulls. It's my go-to in ARs. I've bought them when PSA has them for sale for $169, but I think more recently the sale price is around $179.
I'm a big fan of the SSA-E trigger and also highly recommend it. I also really want to try the triggertech AR triggers as I love their bolt gun triggers.

Wasn't looking for them, but was surprised.
I was looking for them about 10 years ago and nothing was on the market, glad to see all my emails possibly made a difference.

So definitely going for the 6x45.
THANKS A TON for all the information.
Now it's on to collecting components.
If anyone has any to trade and that includes upper, barrel, stock, i have primers, some 6.5 bullets, and Rl-26 if you are in the SW Missouri area. Also .22 LR Gold tips

Just reread some of the messages going over parts and data,
I'm going to revise my request for the 6x45 die set and double dip, get a 223/556 set and use 6mm mandrel. That sounds like a good solution.

6.5 Grendel is a great caliber but components are more difficult to find. I'm not knocking the caliber but 6.5 Grendel Brass, if you can find it, is going from $0.65 to over a dollar a piece for Lapua where 223 brass is plentiful and a lot cheaper.
The same, to some extent, with bullets. From what I've seen 6mm bullets are less expensive and easier to find than the 6.5's for the Grendel.
The 6x45 is easy to convert from 223. I use a Redding Small Base body die then use a 6mm mandrel to expand the neck. Redding also makes a 6mm/223 Rem die set if you want to go that route.
The one down side is that the 6x45 looks like a 223 so you need to be careful to use the correct ammo. I went to using nickel plated brass for my 6x45's.

Thanks for the recommendation for using the mandrel sizing from 223 dies.

I bought the Redding 6x223 die set first so I use the seating die from that.
I am now using the Redding 223 Small Base Body die then a 6mm expander after a member on the Accurate Shooter Forum recommended it. He was using range pickup or once fired military brass and had some feed issues using regular 223 dies and it was working the neck more than he wanted.