6x45 Who's using it?

He mentioned brass availability which with a 223 is probably easiest around.

Also 6x45 and 6x47 are different cases. Same bolt head diameter but 47 is 2mm longer. Parents are 223 (for 45) and 222 Mag (for 47).

I have two Rem700's in 6X45. One barrel is a Shilen heavy varmint and one is a Bartlein 3b sporter. Both are 8" twist. Awesome caliber. Super accurate and mild.

Use good 223 brass and one run through the sizer makes your brass. Trim length is the same. Powders are anything normal for 223. ARComp, IMR 8208, and Benchmark work for me. Barrel life is about forever and recoil is mild. 223 bolt head keeps things simple.

70 SMK's run about 2950 fps.
85 Sierra HPBT with Benchmark gets me 2850 fps.
95 SMK's are superb out of the heavy gun but get single loaded due to length. About 2750 fps if I remember correctly.

I tried some 105's but they are too long and too slow to be really useful.

alot like the 6TCU
but I love 'em both
6x223 with legs.jpg

I think from a practical standpoint, if you are looking to get a different clambering than .223, why not choose a cartridge a little further away from 5.56/223. A 6mm ARC or 6.5 Grendel would give you more case capacity and hence more performance and further differentiate the rifle compared to 5.56/223. Still has very mild recoil for young shooters.

But of course if you are set on the 6x45, go for it, just my .02.

The .223/5.56 case has a lot of merit for something like this IMHO.

As a 6.5Grendel and 6.8SPC user, special cases and bolts get a bit old over time for use outside their specialized applications where they really excel over 'standard' offerings.

100's of yards isn't where I do much shooting and, sourcing ammunition right now is another issue. Sure, for feral hog plinking the 6.8SPC works well and the 6.5G would do the same at greater ranges very well.

However, the 6/.257 .223/5.56 variants are easy to form and relatively cheap. For a youngster or recoil shy or someone who doesn't need massive overkill, these "quarter bores" have a lot of attractiveness to me. Heck, I still look occasionally for a 257 Roberts!

6.5 Grendel is a great caliber but components are more difficult to find. I'm not knocking the caliber but 6.5 Grendel Brass, if you can find it, is going from $0.65 to over a dollar a piece for Lapua where 223 brass is plentiful and a lot cheaper.
The same, to some extent, with bullets. From what I've seen 6mm bullets are less expensive and easier to find than the 6.5's for the Grendel.
The 6x45 is easy to convert from 223. I use a Redding Small Base body die then use a 6mm mandrel to expand the neck. Redding also makes a 6mm/223 Rem die set if you want to go that route.
The one down side is that the 6x45 looks like a 223 so you need to be careful to use the correct ammo. I went to using nickel plated brass for my 6x45's.

I'm thinking about this for my daughters, I like the the concept. What information do you guys have on application, hunting, accuracy, ease of loading?
Hawkeye, its a great round and is my favorite go to rifle. I have logged over 6,000 rounds through my 6x45 Ar15. Shot several deer, hogs and alot of varmints. I own a 223, 6.5grendel, 6.8 SPc and two Ar10 rifles in 6 creedmoor and 308win, but my favorite is the 6x45. Saturn barrels has ar15 6x45 barrels in stock, and they were the ones who sold them to MidwayUsa. Imr8202, H4895, CFE223 and few others are your friends when it comes to reloading the 6x45. For Ar15 is just a barrel swap and a set of dies.

I have a 6 TCU carbine I've recently purchase and my fire forming loads were amazingly accurate. This cartridge is the ballistic twin of the 6x45 with an improved shoulder. Get a Contender and pick up a few barrels for it. The platform can grow up with the girls.

I bought a mark x 223 years ago and my dad was a stock and gun maker , and built a beautiful English walnut hand checkered stock for it for my 40th birthday . He passed away a few years ago and I inherited the one he had . Last night I saw this post and it gave me the idea . I don't know if any of you are familiar with that little Mauser but they were imported by or built by inter arms , very acc little rifles . I would definitely set it up twist wise for the Hammer bullet choices heavy and light . I'm still always building or rebuilding rifle's myself . That would be a neat little round for my grandson.
I would twist it in say 1/9. 1/10 will get you to a 70 hammer but like other small cases the larger bullets although they have higher bc. People get caught up in that and give up a ton of performance by eating up case for powder. I tried 95gr in mine and it was not very impressive. Dropped to 85 and under seems much better.

I use a 6x45 in a ar. Had great luck with the 85gr partitions. It's really tough on pigs and deer. I use Winchester brass for mine, I was able to get a little more powder in them vs lake city and a few others. I think a bolt would be awesome so I could load it out a little longer.

I was thinking it would be easier to get used 223 brass and just punch it up to 6mm.
Looking for something they can use for a very long time.
I'm thinking about this for my daughters, I like the the concept. What information do you guys have on application, hunting, accuracy, ease of loading?
I've shot an AR in 6 x 223 for years. Pleasant gun to shoot.
if you can get the 85gr Sierra bullets I've had good success with 3031 powder and 322. For 600 yds I've had success with Berger 95gr bullets. Enjoy the new rifle!

Recent Posts