6x45 w/ 80gr Speer bullet recovery

Longshotjames

B2CA4952-4AAF-4B8B-99EB-9953FEA8B046.jpeg

i have been tossing the idea of a 6x45 AI in a bolt gun just for varmints and plinking.
what other bullets have you tried?
barrel twist?
any pictures of the wound channel?

The 6x45 is super easy to load for and you will never run out of brass. Only downside is you can't buy factory ammo. I use the 80gr Speer hotcore because I have a few hundred and haven't tried anything else. It just kills better than it should.
Sorry I didn't take pictures as we were whacking and stacking yesterday with lots of work to do. No time to be cute with 8 total deer to clean for the afternoon.
Wound channels are big as your fist and the others all exited.
I use my 6x45 for culling deer and it works good with zero recoil and inexpensive to shoot.

if you reload you won't regret it. If you buy ammo but want a AR size caliber get a 6.5gren

reloading is not an issue, buying small rifle primers might be. speer bullets have always preformed well for me but never tried anything that small on deer. the 243 with 95 gr partitions is the smallest. keep us informed of any other updates.

I think 80gr is lightest I will shoot for deer. Still carries 1000ftlb out to 110yds. In my 6x45 I'll move to 90gr after i kill 300 more deer and run out of 80's...ha ha I feel it's the best balance of speed & weight in that cartridge. The issue in a 6x45 is being limited to overall length. The bullet seats very deep into the case taking up space. So a 100gr really drops in velocity.

I get 2800fps out of a 20" barrel and I feel that velocity works well with inexpensive cup&core bullets. They expand well but don't come apart like they might do in a faster cartridge. It's a good pairing to make the cup&core very effective. No need to buy bonded, premium or monolithic bullets in a 6x45, it's just not necessary.

It's my go-to light caliber when shooting conventional ranges. Otherwise I slide out my 300wm
James

I bought a 243 a while back, cheap savage axis just for fun and something to do while barrels cool. it turns out to be extremely accurate with the 68 gr flat base either berger or barnes and the heavy partitions but now everybody wants to play with it and it wont last long at this rate. that's what brought me to the 6x45ai just a simple barrel change and hopefully longer barrel life. already locater a 223 bolt and Ragged hole barrels makes prefits with Wilson barrels. looks like time to make the jump
22 inch #4 barrel 1-9 twist is my first choice, maybe a varmint contour if barrel heat is a problem
how is the barrel heating any issues and what is your powder of choice?

I think 80gr is lightest I will shoot for deer. Still carries 1000ftlb out to 110yds. In my 6x45 I'll move to 90gr after i kill 300 more deer and run out of 80's...ha ha I feel it's the best balance of speed & weight in that cartridge. The issue in a 6x45 is being limited to overall length. The bullet seats very deep into the case taking up space. So a 100gr really drops in velocity.

I get 2800fps out of a 20" barrel and I feel that velocity works well with inexpensive cup&core bullets. They expand well but don't come apart like they might do in a faster cartridge. It's a good pairing to make the cup&core very effective. No need to buy bonded, premium or monolithic bullets in a 6x45, it's just not necessary.

It's my go-to light caliber when shooting conventional ranges. Otherwise I slide out my 300wm
James
Been thinking about building a 6x45 bolt gun with a 20" barrel for my youngest daughter. She is 4'3" and 80 pounds. She shoots the 223 out to 400 yards on 2 MOA steel targets very good.

I bought a 243 a while back, cheap savage axis just for fun and something to do while barrels cool. it turns out to be extremely accurate with the 68 gr flat base either berger or barnes and the heavy partitions but now everybody wants to play with it and it wont last long at this rate. that's what brought me to the 6x45ai just a simple barrel change and hopefully longer barrel life. already locater a 223 bolt and Ragged hole barrels makes prefits with Wilson barrels. looks like time to make the jump
22 inch #4 barrel 1-9 twist is my first choice, maybe a varmint contour if barrel heat is a problem
how is the barrel heating any issues and what is your powder of choice?
Can you make the AI brass with a die or do you need to fire form them?

I've been thinking about a 6x45 or maybe a 6 TCU. I want something more for varmint/target, but as my boys get older, it would be a great low recoil, close range deer cartridge. From what I read, the 6 TCU has a steeper shoukder and therefore more capacity/velocity/energy. I'm all about that.

James
What powder works best for your loads?