6x45 Velocity from a 20" Barrel

sambo3006

I'm putting together an AR in 6x45 with a 20" HBAR contour 1-8 twist AR Stoner barrel. This barrel has tremendous feedback on midway usa for accuracy. I plan to shoot 55 gr BTs for varmints and 85 gr Partitions for deer. What are some good loads and what velocity can I expect for those two bullets?

I just put together an upper using the 20" AR stoner barrel the other day. I shot it for the first time with 85gr Sierra GK with H335. It was a fairly mild load and clocked right at 2630fps. There looks to be room for more powder, there were no pressure signs.

6x45 Hornady 223 brass
H335 24.5gr
COL 2.35"
fed 205m
2630fps

3 shots 100 yards

Nice group! I have all my parts now except for the stripped upper and charging handle which should be here in a couple of days. I'm getting antsy.

I'm guessing the top end of safe loads will probably be 2800 fps with 85's and 3100 with 55's. I'm not going to push things to get those speeds as 100 fps more or less won't make any practical difference. None the less, the 6x45 looks to be a near perfect match for the AR 15 platform for a low recoil varmint/deer killer.

I think with H335 I should be able to get into 2700-2750 fairly easily. Honestly I don't think the extra FPS will make any practicle difference. It was a surprisingly accurate load with very little recoil. I think it will do well on smaller deer at reasonable ranges. My main goal with building this rifle was a predator rifle for use while predator calling. Something with enough power to handle a wolf and at the same time not blow up a delicate fox hide. The only way to do that is to slow down the bullets to keep from popping fox hides, and make the bullet heavier to still have the killing power to shut down a 125-150 pound wolf.

Question for Thebear_78,

In your post you mentioned that your COL was 2.35", are you just shooting single shot when you use this load?

If you have a separate mag length load, I'd be curious to see what numbers you got. Thanks!

The AR Stoner barrel was tempting and I was curious about building another off caliber upper. Just haven't settled on cartridge yet. The 6x45 is tempting since same bolt face and plenty of brass instead of having to get new brass, magazines, bolt, and shell plates for the 6.5 Grendel.

2.254" was the actual COL of those loads. went out and measured a couple. thats what you get when your stay up all night instead of sleeping!

I have one in a bolt gun 16 inch barrel. I shoot 95 gr SST at around 2600 fps give or take. Still workingg on loads. But you guys are missing CFE 223 for powder. For the lighter rounds it doesn't show awsome velocity but really shines for the 80's and up. I'm gonna try and get more data this weekend. Been to busy to work with it. Spent some time bedding . let'skeep up on this for some load ddevelopment.

I have an 18" DTI barrel in 6x45 and it is a wonderful round. I'm interested in using a Barnes 80gr TSX for wolf and I'm looking for real life experience with that bullet either in the 6x45 or a .243 AI. Anyone used it in that size animal?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts