6x284 or 6BR

wildcat

Hey guys, I know most of you already know about my new project. I am debating between the 6x284 or 6BR. I would like to get some opinions about which one I should go with. Here are some facts for you all to consider when giving your advice. Thanks in advance, as I value all of your opinions.

1. This is going to be a Low Volume Shooting long range rifle, so I am not worried about barrel life.

2. Longest shots will be shooting out to a 1000 yards.

3. I want to use the Lapua 105grn Silver Scenar (Moly Coated) and maybe the occasional 87grn V-max.

4. Barrel will be Krieger, 30", 1-8.5 twist, with brake. Krieger recommended this twist rate when using the 6x284.

5. Rifle will weigh 32 pounds.

6. I would like to shoot the 105grn bullets at around 3200 to 3300fps to maximize the BC. I know this favors the 6x284. The 6BR will push the 105grn bullets at around 2900fps, so I know the 6x284 has the advantage over the 6BR in this department. However, is the extra 300 to 400fps worth it?

7. I don't want to Improve the 6BR case to get the extra velocity if I go with the 6BR.

8. The varmints, I will be shooting at, are small California ground Squirrels.

The rifle is going to be very heavy and stable, here is a list of the some of the components;
1. Nesika Model L, 1.700 Diameter Action.
2. Krieger, 30", 1-8.5 twist, 1.450 straight cylinder.
3. McMillan Tooley MBR, 5 Pounds lead added to rear.
4. Jewel trigger.
5. Vais Muzzle Brake.

I apologize for listing the components again. Some have made fun of me for updating you all on the componenets. However, because of the question I am asking, I wanted to list the components in hopes it would help those who will answer the question.

I've been reading some really good thing about the 6BR, so I am thinking maybe using it might be the way to go. However, I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks

Wildcat

You could split the difference and go with a 243 Win and Lapua brass or 6mmX47 Lapua. Given the choices I'd pefer the 6BR .272 no-turn neck, just a personal preference. With the 243 you would also have the emergency option of , shudder.... factory ammo (can't believe I actually typed that).
James

I know you probably don't want to hear what my take is on it again and you probably won't listen to it anyway but I will say it once more. SPEED AINT EVERYTHING! In fact, it ain't even second or third in the criteria of what I look for. ACCURACY FIRST AND FOREMOST. BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT IS SECOND. CASE DESIGN IS THIRD. Then and only then, does speed come into the equation and I never want blazing speed, just sufficient speed to launch high bc bullets into the smallest group possible. Remember, a bullet flying faster than it's design spec might actually <font color="red"> degrade </font> bc and thus make it less accurate and harder to hit your target.

The 6-284 has the capability to push bullets faster than what they might like.

The 6br is very forgiving, gives uniform velocities with just about every load you feed it, and is deadly accurate by nature.

So to answer your question:
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to shoot the 105grn bullets at around 3200 to 3300fps to maximize the BC. I know this favors the 6x284. The 6BR will push the 105grn bullets at around 2900fps, so I know the 6x284 has the advantage over the 6BR in this department. However, is the extra 300 to 400fps worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It is not worth it. If you want to cut your wind drift more, launch a higher bc bullet (larger caliber) instead of just throwing another 300 fps behind the same 6mm bullet.

For 1k and below:
6BR, 243 Win, or 6mmX47 Lapua will all work.
All listed are capable.

In the near future I am going to being playing with a fast twist 223 Contender handgun using 75 &amp; 80 gr. A-Max's for out to 1k attempts.

I beleive I would look hard at James suggestion, the lapua 6x47. I really don't know a heck of alot about it but I do know its getting pretty popular at various matches. Its worth a little research anyway. I beleive that the 6mmbr site has some information on it.

I would go with the 243 win. It would give you a little more velo than the 6br but not be the fire breather the 6x284 is. The 6x47 sure is gettin alot of press, I got a guy here in town getting one built so pretty soon we will have some first hand knowledge.

steve

GG, thanks for the info. I know speed is not everything, however, it's nice if you can get everything to gel together. Regardless of what you might think, I do listen, and I do value your advice. I am thinking the 6BR might be the better choice for this project.

Wildcat

Lerch, the more and more I read about the 6BR, the more I think it is the way I should go. If I go with the 6BR, I will go with a No-Turn-neck and use the Lapua brass.

What bullet would work best out of the 6BR?

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
243 Ackley or 6mm Rem Ackley, perfect for your needs.

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ]

You da man Ian !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif That would be my choice as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW , where the hecks have you been ?

Shooting a bunch I hope , good to see /hear from you . Gotta 243 AI that is fixing to get the snot wrung out of it . 117 gr DTACS withe the polycarbonate nose and .600 bc are the projectile and RL 25 filled smooth to the top of the case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Let you know how it goes later , BTW the 117's are boron nitride coated !

Jim Brown

Wildcat,
Build the 6x284 and be done with it. You seemed to gravitate towards it after you scraped the 300 WSM. Low volume varmit shooting won't eat your barrel up that fast if you lay off the quick follow ups and load sanely. You get a neat cartridge and a couple of less MOA's at 1 K always feels good. I've shot piles of PD's with my 6x284 and I have never noticed a difference in splat between the 107 SMK, 95 BT, and the 20 something A-Max's I managed to get out there. Regardless of what you do it sounds like you will have a very cool rifle. You seem to be getting a severe case of paralysis by analysis so just build it and decide for yourself what is right for you.
Lance

Sounds like you should just get a savage action and several different barrels that match the bolt and then switch off and on as you please.

BuffaloRancher, I've been going back and forth trying to get this project right. I am still leaning towards the 6x284 and using the Lapua 105grn Scenar or Sierra 107grn Matchking. Both bullets can be pushed fast. I would like to push them as fast as I can and still get excellent accuracy. I was at the range today, and I talked to a guy who just had a 6x284 built. He is shooting the 107grn Matchking at 3400+fps, and his accuracy was awesome.

I am going to focus on using the 105grn Moly Coated Scenar.
I talked to the guys at Krieger, and they said the 105grn Scenar has been shooting very well out of a 1.8.5 twist barrel. That's why I went with the 1-8.5 twist for this project.

Thanks for the advice, I am probably going to go with the 6x284. As soon as she is completed, I will post picks and info regarding load development.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.