6mmBR Opinions Please .........

scotsgun

Folks,

Does anyone own and hunt with a 6mmBR? I'd be grateful to hear you opinions on capabilitity, limitations and any problems that you've experienced.

I have a couple of shot out rifles (308 and a 22-250) which i'm considering replacing.

Thanks

I have 6BR rifle, its 30" bull barrel and more bench gun then hunting rig, it weights more then my varmint rifles, but its capable of 2" - 2.2" groups@500 yards from bipod using 95gr VLD or 105gr A-Max, those 95gr VLD have 3000 fps@muzzle and 105 gr A-Max 2950 fps. 105 gr bullet on 500 yards its still carries 1000 ft*lbs, theoretically it should be enough for whitetail, shot placement should also be considered, with right optic I do not see problem putting one in the neck or heart.

For hunting I would just stick with .308 from a cost stand point. Unless you plan on competing in BR matches with it as well. I think it would be a cool prairie dog set up where you dont have to move much with the rifle.

I am a big fan of the 6mmbr, but I got to say I would not build a hunting rifle on it.
A groundhog or PD gun yes. When it comes to filling the freezer I would go for a 6.5mm or larger.

Not that a 6mm dosen't have a place as a deer gun, it does, but I graduated out of the 243 about 20 years ago.

Unless you are after elk at longer ranges than 250 a 6br will be fine out to 500. You are
only 170 lbs behind the 308 at that range and getting closer and closer to it as the
distance stretches out from there. Up here I have never personally met anyone that
carries a 308 for elk either.

Unless you are after elk at longer ranges than 250 a 6br will be fine out to 500. You are
only 170 lbs behind the 308 at that range and getting closer and closer to it as the
distance stretches out from there. Up here I have never personally met anyone that
carries a 308 for elk either.
I grew up in AZ and everyone used 30-06 or 7mm mag on elk. It's interesting you mention using the 6mmbr. Weird how different parts of the country do things.

I love mine. I shoot 107 smk's and have taken antelope, coyote and small deer to 651 yards. Very very accurate rifle and a real joy to shoot and load for.

Jeff

I'm a huge fan, but wouldn't rely on it as my only rifle for big game.

Nonetheless, I have plenty of big game rifles and recently built a 6br for hunting.

It's easy to load for, very accurate, excellent brass, fun to shoot all day long.

I'm shooting 105 Bergers at a very conservative 2700 fps which yeilds about 900 ft-lbs at 500yds.

-- richard

I built one on a stiller Diamondback drop port as a live varmint and ground hog match rifle. I've taken G-Hogs over 700, a fox at 670 and and had it with me while doing crop damage, so I took a deer with it and then another and another.
It works fine and has it limits, it is so accurate it can quickly get you in trouble by shooting farther than it has energy. Ive taken many deer between 400-500 and some much farther but would not recommend that. keep it within reason and it will be fine. For a primary hunting rifle I would go larger.
107 SMK@ 2850 fps

Has shot some great groups, this is my best prone.

IMG_0817.jpg

I shot squirrel once it was doing something at 300 yards by my target I used 105 A-MAX, and some people say they are not explosive bullets. I have picture of it, but I doubt anyone would appreciate it...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.