6mm Rem. & High BC Bullet ?

1100 Remington Man

I have a 700 BDL 6mm Rem. with factory 22 inch barrel 1-9 1/8 twist. I have been using Hornady's 100 gr BTSP & while it shoots very well under 2.2 inches at 300 yds. I have been wondering if I should switch to a Higher BC Bullet for Deer & Antelope to see if I could get a little more range out of it. What Bullet have you used & Why ? What success have you had on Big Game with it ? Thanks

You might take a look at Berger's 95 gr vld hunting bullet. .48 BC compared to .408 BC for the Hornady bullet. It should stabilize fine with your barrel.
I used the 6mm 105gr hunting vlds for five antelope and one black bear out of a .243 wssm. All were quick one shot kills. My barrel is 1-8 twist, so it handles the heavy 6mm bullets well.

-Mike

You might take a look at Berger's 95 gr vld hunting bullet. .48 BC compared to .408 BC for the Hornady bullet. It should stabilize fine with your barrel.
I used the 6mm 105gr hunting vlds for five antelope and one black bear out of a .243 wssm. All were quick one shot kills. My barrel is 1-8 twist, so it handles the heavy 6mm bullets well.

-Mike

This is what I would recommend as well.

Geb

3rd on the 105 Berger. I shot a 300 class bull at 437 yards with my 6mm. One shot put him DRT.

I looked at Berger but there Twist Cal. says the 95gr VLD .480 BC won't work with my twist rate 1-9 1/8. They do have a Classic 95 gr with a BC .427 that would work. So the choices. I have used Hornadys 100gr BTSP .405 BC, or would Bergers Classic hunter 95gr .427 BC, or go to Swift 90gr BC .419 BC. I have had good performance with the Hornady in the field but have not shot big game beyond 300 yds with it to date. Does any one use the Berger Classic hunter 95gr or Swift 90 gr. ? Or is a BC improvement .022 about 5% at most worth it ? Since none will hold 1000 FPE at 500 yds. Thanks for all the help.

The berger 95 grain does get stabilize in a 9 twist barrel. I am not speculating. I shoot that bullet in my 243 win up to 800 yards. Go for it. Its a great bullet. Thats high of a bc you will get with a hunting bullet. Otherwise, you can try the hornady 100 grain hpbt. It has a great bc.

Rem Man

The 6mm is a great deer cartridge. I've shot a couple of dozen with mine. All one shot kills with 100 grain Sierra Game Kings and all were between 2 yards and 150 yards. However as you pointed out it runs out of suitable energy about 500 yards. If you want to shoot long range why not move up to a more powerful rifle? How about a 270 Win or if you like short actions, a 270 WSM?

I looked at Berger but there Twist Cal. says the 95gr VLD .480 BC won't work with my twist rate 1-9 1/8. They do have a Classic 95 gr with a BC .427 that would work. So the choices. I have used Hornadys 100gr BTSP .405 BC, or would Bergers Classic hunter 95gr .427 BC, or go to Swift 90gr BC .419 BC. I have had good performance with the Hornady in the field but have not shot big game beyond 300 yds with it to date. Does any one use the Berger Classic hunter 95gr or Swift 90 gr. ? Or is a BC improvement .022 about 5% at most worth it ? Since none will hold 1000 FPE at 500 yds. Thanks for all the help.

I would re-enter your info into their calculator. SG should be around 1.47 @ 2000' elevation, and 3200 fps mv. The bullet measures 1.145" long.
@ 4500' elevation SG =1.61
@ 2000' elevation at 68 deg and 25% humidity you would have 1014 FPE @ 600 yards.
@ 4500' you would still have 2203 fps and 1024 FPE @ 650 yards
I would give them a go . Nothing to lose other than the price of a box of bullets, and a little range time.

-Mike

Rem Man

The 6mm is a great deer cartridge. I've shot a couple of dozen with mine. All one shot kills with 100 grain Sierra Game Kings and all were between 2 yards and 150 yards. However as you pointed out it runs out of suitable energy about 500 yards. If you want to shoot long range why not move up to a more powerful rifle? How about a 270 Win or if you like short actions, a 270 WSM?

Yes I have a .264 Win Mag. & while I have always thought of it as the ultimate Long Range Deer & Antelope cartridge. My first rifle was a Remington 700 BDL 6mm which I have had for 35+ years & I still like using it. But I also don't want to miss a chance at a nice deer.
Rogue Hunter I did run the twist calculator but used a lower temp 30F since this is average hunting temp. You are correct at 4500 ft elevation it would work but in Iowa our elevation is 1200 ft, & I would like to use same bullet on coyotes. I think I will give a call to Berger see what they think since I'm just under the 1.5 they recommend.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.