6mm rem barrel

Goose71

I'm thinking of ordering a mgm barrel for my encore pistol frame. I got a g2 7-30 waters and encore with 30-06 barrel. I'm thinking 6mm rem just because I got new brass and dies. What do y'all think about a 6mm rem in a 15 in barrel and a 1/10 twist for varmints and possibly a whitetail.

243 Win. Or 6MM Rem. - 1-8 Twist . The Sierra 85 gr hpbt #1530 for a do all bullet.
The 243 will make better use of the 15" length. Less chamber length. The 8 twist will handle lighter bullets also.

There are two 100 gr Sierra bullets that don't work with a 10 twist. Not good. #1540 & #1560.
20201111_131656.jpg
20201111_131730.jpg

Last edited:
A 8 twist with the 100 gr bullets will work, down to the 70 gr. The 55 gr ones may also, if the rpm & velocity is not to high?

Bullet length is what maters most.
20201111_133701.jpg
20201111_133738.jpg
The 70 gr and lighter/shorter bullets are ok with a 10 twist.

Last edited:
I like your approach. The remmy case is a step up from the 243 win. I don't own a pistol like this yet, but it must be a lot of fun! I'm thinking hard on the new Remington bolt pistol if they continue it.

Remington bolt pistol
Had the XP100 years ago. 221 fireball. Like this-

lf.jpeg Fun gun with a cool look. But the 223 Contender was more accurate, with a better trigger.

Owned a Colt M16A1 carbine for many years. Its 14.5 inch barrel made it just like a pistol. Not. :D

I'm thinking 6mm rem just because I got new brass and dies. What do y'all think about a 6mm rem in a 15 in barrel and a 1/10 twist for varmints and possibly a whitetail.

Don't worry about the size of your case with the 6mm Remington for the barrel length. You already have brass and dies. My XP-100 is a 6mm-284, and my barrel is a 16" (What I could get from PROOF Research).
With MGM you can choose from : 13.125″ – 15.875″ , so if you want, you can get a barrel just a smidgen under 16" if you so desired.
Accuracy with my 8T 6-284 at 100 and at 400 yards:
I am using a 90 grain AB at 2900 fps.
2m81eqIl.jpg

3-shots at 400 yards.
BdOal9Vl.jpg

Two antelope: one at around 200 and the other at 315 yards
sPZYQj6l.jpg

wKIlhOtl.jpg

instead of a 10 twist you are suggesting an 8 twist. I figure I would be running bullets from 80 to 95. 95 being the nosler bt and the sst for deer.

instead of a 10 twist you are suggesting an 8 twist. I figure I would be running bullets from 80 to 95. 95 being the nosler bt and the sst for deer.

Yes.
This will also allow you to shoot heavier bullets, if you so desire.
You saw how even with a bigger case, a 8T does great with 90 grain AB's. I will soon be jumping to the 108 grain ELD-M or maybe the 103 grain ELD-X in the near future.
It will give me an advantage with wind at further distances, and I will be putting a heavier bullet on target.

Last edited:
My 243win from a 15" factory encore barrel slings 80gr speer hot core quite well. I've killed whitetail out to 250yd and so far been impressed with the terminal performance. A few more fps will be icing on the cake, just prepare for a good fireball. My barrel doesn't have a brake and slings about 3' of fireball with factory ammo. I'm sure once I've shot up my stock a faster burning powder in reloads will help.

I have a 6mm AI Encore 15" that is very accurate, I use 70 gr, BTs for groundhog/rockchucks/coyotes. I found 85 gr. NPTs do extremely well on deer. Have taken 5 from 380-420. One move 5 yds. The others dropped. Also did a 55# javelina in AZ at 177 yds. Moved all of 3 yds.
This gun gives a little more power than a .243 and has proven to be a pleasant surprise for a hunting handgun.

I'm thinking of ordering a mgm barrel for my encore pistol frame. I got a g2 7-30 waters and encore with 30-06 barrel. I'm thinking 6mm rem just because I got new brass and dies. What do y'all think about a 6mm rem in a 15 in barrel and a 1/10 twist for varmints and possibly a whitetail.
I think that would be a great caliber for a hunting handgun. I have a couple myself, .223 and a 7mm Super Bower (7mm-08 AI) that are both very accurate. I would suggest a min 16" barrel though which would give you the flexibility to run it as a rifle if you wanted to, these are great truck guns as they are very short. You could pin-weld a brake to get the extra inch to comply with the rifle option. I have 6mm Rem in a Sako that I love to shoot / hunt and reload for so very partial to the caliber. Good Luck with your build.

Might I suggest http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/ for some beautiful TC furniture. https://www.bellmtcs.com/ is a great resource for tigger jobs (send in or DIY) and barrels, brakes, and he does a great job with the pic rails for scope mounts which eliminate the tappered barrel rail flex by using a 7 screw setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.