6mm Rem AI

Speer Wildcat manual first printing 1956 has Ackley data for the 244 Improved and he used 1/12 twist and it has 30 degree shoulder. In Ackley book the original 244 improved had 26 degree shoulders with a minimum body taper. (They don't show what that was but in Speer book they have case dimension.) Later they changed shoulder to 40. In Ackley book standard twist 1/12 and special twist was 1/10

The loads in Ackley book for the 244 Improved, some of the loads are same as in Speer Manual.

I used 1/10 in 6RemAI.
My rifle had the 40degree shoulder. I had RCBS make the dies. And the rifle came with Ackly dies
I still have the dies and form brass. They look like weatherby cases. The shoulder is round not s sharp angle.

My rifle had the 40degree shoulder. I had RCBS make the dies. And the rifle came with Ackly dies I still have the dies and form brass. They look like weatherby cases. The shoulder is round not s sharp angle.[/QUOTE said:
Interesting.

This is the rifle that jecustom is talking about:

Rem 788, 6mm Rem Imp 40, 26" 1-8 twist
fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8.jpeg

Only issue with the shoulder being forward of the regular 6mm rem was the magazine. Had to move the detent forward for the longer body length. Overall for magazine is 2.890.
IMG_5462.JPG IMG_5463.JPG

After I can get some loads worked up I will post the results.

I am trying to find out more info on the 6 mm Crusader Cartridge. Is it coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge being necked down, or what? I read some about 6mm Crusader, but can seem to fine much info on. Like where the case is coming from, die's, loading data. Looked over many reloading books and don't fine anything on the Case. Is there a reloading manual that has the information on the 6 mm Crusader in it?
SSS
Mike

I have a custom 6mm Texan. 6mm rem with taper blowed out and 32 dregee shoulder running 1&7.5 twist 26" barrel . Running 115gr Bergers 3130fps

I am trying to find out more info on the 6 mm Crusader Cartridge. Is it coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge being necked down, or what? I read some about 6mm Crusader, but can seem to fine much info on. Like where the case is coming from, die's, loading data. Looked over many reloading books and don't fine anything on the Case. Is there a reloading manual that has the information on the 6 mm Crusader in it?
SSS
Mike

The parent case for the 6mm Crusader is the standard 6mm Remington.

George Gardner created the first version (A) sometime around 2009. This was followed by version (B) and finally (C). Since this was developed for High Power Competition, the final case has a very slight taper to the case body walls for easy extraction. The shoulder angle is 32 degrees. Case capacity is ~61.0 grains of H2O to the top of the neck.

1596068695167.png

L to R .284 Win., 6mm Crusader, 6mm Rem., .243 Win., 6XC, 6BR.

The 105 gr. VLDs can conquer 3,300 FPS using IMR-7828 SSC in a DBM. For PRS style competitions you can use Re-25 and maintain 3050 FPS to stay under the speed limit. I've shot this single shot for F-Class using the 115 DTAC in a 30" barrel for 3,300+ FPS.

6mmAI my favorite under 500 yard coyote and groundhogs rifle. Old school 27" Douglas 1/14 twist. Shoots 75 amax at 3800. Devastating.

The parent case for the 6mm Crusader is the standard 6mm Remington.

George Gardner created the first version (A) sometime around 2009. This was followed by version (B) and finally (C). Since this was developed for High Power Competition, the final case has a very slight taper to the case body walls for easy extraction. The shoulder angle is 32 degrees. Case capacity is ~61.0 grains of H2O to the top of the neck.

View attachment 206101
L to R .284 Win., 6mm Crusader, 6mm Rem., .243 Win., 6XC, 6BR.

The 105 gr. VLDs can conquer 3,300 FPS using IMR-7828 SSC in a DBM. For PRS style competitions you can use Re-25 and maintain 3050 FPS to stay under the speed limit. I've shot this single shot for F-Class using the 115 DTAC in a 30" barrel for 3,300+ FPS.
Not sure if I am reading this correctly. My take is the 6mm Rem is being fire formed to the 6mm Crusader case? I am looking very hard at getting one built for me.

Correct!

You can use any of the forming techniques which you are comfortable with. I personally loaded the standard 6mm Rem. with an accuracy load of powder and bullets and competed with these, getting the fireformed cases at the end of the day.

If you have an older 6mm barrel which is no longer competitive like a 6BR, you can re-chamber it to the Crusader and use the Cream of Wheat technique of pistol powder, CoW and a tissue plug to form cases.

Enjoy!:)

This thread is about the 6mm AI. As long as it got slightly off topic.........

I would think it would be easier to make a 6mm-284 which comes with a 35 degree shoulder. An easy neck down of 6.5-284 lapua brass. No need to blow out body taper or create a new shoulder. Dies readily available.

I have a 1 in 7 twist 26" that shoots the 105 Berger hybrids at 3465 fps very accurately. A rechambered 24" 243 takeoff shoots 55 gr ballistic tips at 4100 fps and it isn't maxed out.

The 6 mm Remington AI is essentially the same as the Crusader but you can get dies for the 40o version and just use the 6mm rem ammo as is. It is a simple conversion and should greatly improve the performance and brass life.

More Velocity is not necessarily a sign of performance if it fits in a niche and does well overall. Sometimes less is more. The 6 mm Rem is a good cartridge that got a poor start because of the factory offerings and decisions. I consider the 6 mm to small for my needs but understand the advantages of it's use for many things, and recognize it's attributes.

There are many wildcats based off of this case that are themselves performers.

J E CUSTOM

I want to thank everybody for your input. Got me thinking anyway. I am going with 1in 7 twist for sure in a 26" barrel. Going to use an action that will handle 06 ammo for action length. It seem that many shooter are having to shot single shot, because the mag is to short to allow the round to come up and chamber or fit into the mag. I ran into that problem with my 308 norma mag with the COAL.
I will keep you post as to which way I go.
SSS
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.