6mm Rem AI

J E Custom

How many have or have had a 6mm rem AI ?

A good friend just finished a really nice rifle in 6mm rem AI and it is a great looking cartridge when fire formed. The powder capacity edges out the 6mm CM by one grain + but I haven't seen the test results yet to do a good comparison.

Just wondering what powders and velocities he will get using the heavy 6mm bullets.

J E CUSTOM

I had one. 95 SMKs at about 3550fps from a longer barrel. 105s at like 3300 if I recall right. Shot great and but burned the barrel out at maybe 1500 rounds. Second barrel was made for 115s, didn't shoot them well and I sold it.

Thanks Tyler.

I realize that it is not as popular as the Creedmoor but it looks like a real performer that is overlooked by many, and may be a better fit for some.

I am always interested in cartridge performance and if they fit a niche, so this one got my attention when I looked at it.

J E CUSTOM

Tagging in. My only concern is getting it to fit in the short action without shoving the bullets in so deep. I've loaded for the standard 6mm rem and even with 100 grain soft point I had to push them in pretty far to fit the magazine let alone something like the 110 smk.

Tagging in. My only concern is getting it to fit in the short action without shoving the bullets in so deep. I've loaded for the standard 6mm rem and even with 100 grain soft point I had to push them in pretty far to fit the magazine let alone something like the 110 smk.
My sst will shoot the 115's at nearly 3500' at 2.8" coal but it has a .550" case.

I run a .243AI which is darned near identical. I'm getting 115 DTAC's to 3200 without even approaching a max load. AI makes for great brass life. The 6mm Rem neck is longer than the .243AI so that's better for holding those loooong target bullets.

16 mils at a mile. Only 6 mils to a kilometer.

downsized_1224101540b.jpg

(sendero man)

This is one of the many variations of the 6mm Remington case from George Gardner at GAP. The standard 6mm Rem. case is fireformed with a 32* shoulder and a blown out body dimensions. It's about 61 grains of H2O.

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/6mm-crusader.1345/

65gap.jpg

This is the 6.5mm version of the same Crusader:
.260 Win (left), 6.5mm Crusader (right)

I used this cartridge in DBM but with the advent of the 'tweener' action length, you might do better with these when using the extra long VLD bullets for hunting.

Right now I'm working with the 6mm Super LR but results will have to wait for a little while until I get some more time.

downsized_1224101540b.jpg

(sendero man)

This is one of the many variations of the 6mm Remington case from George Gardner at GAP. The standard 6mm Rem. case is fireformed with a 32* shoulder and a blown out body dimensions. It's about 61 grains of H2O.

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/6mm-crusader.1345/

65gap.jpg

This is the 6.5mm version of the same Crusader:
.260 Win (left), 6.5mm Crusader (right)

I used this cartridge in DBM but with the advent of the 'tweener' action length, you might do better with these when using the extra long VLD bullets for hunting.

Right now I'm working with the 6mm Super LR but results will have to wait for a little while until I get some more time.

I guess that answers my questions about the 6mm rems potential
if wildcated.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

I have a 1/7 twist 6mm Rem that I thought about rechambering to 6mm-06. The accuracy has always been "meh" so I thought that this slight rework might give the rifle a second chance.

Now you have me thinking about 6 Rem AI.....it would be an easier transition.

This case could be improved about 6 gr. for the neck/shoulder junction to be at the boat tail/bearing surface.
This is a 105gr vld. My accuracy load is 3370 fps with RL26. 26" bbl. For the record, I never did max out. I stopped when it started printing in the .3's.
20180429_213442.jpg

got a short action? Then why not build a 6mm Vias? Or better yet why not simply build the 55mm case length off a shortened 6mm Ackley forming die. Then trim the neck back to .31". You'll shorten the case about .118". The 6mm Vias will easelly push a 70 grain bullet to 4150fps and the 105's in the 3600fps range.
I've at least one 6mm Ackley in the past, and they do work best with heavy bullets. Chamber life is almost forever, but can be a little finicky to load. Start out with near max loads for the standard 6mm, and forget the loading manuals with their limp wristed loads. I'd use a 26" or 28" barrel. Works fine in a Savage action (short or long single shots for me). Shoot kinda slow as the barrel will seriously get hot. There's a lot newer powders out now, and I'd give them a whirl.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.