6mm Norma BR set up

TheDugg

Hi!

First some background: I have a 27 inch 0.90 profile barreled 6,5x55 for long range hunting, and .222 for short range (with a cheap scope). I also have a 21 inch .308w 1/10 twist .308w lightweight deer stalking rifle.

I no longer hunt on distance further than 400 yards. And never game larger than roe deer or foxes at these distance.

The 6,5x55 is too heavy for hunting, there is no fun in it anymore so I figure to let it go. Sure I could cut the 6,5 barrel to 22-24' but I rather not, just feels wrong. I like the 6,5 BC and wind resistance thou. I also will let the .222 go cus I cant see no use with it if I choose a 6mm BR. I will then use my scope thats on the 6,5 rifle and sell everything else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do I want instead? I want a fairly light rifle,short action, with a 22 inch Barrel, profile around 0.70-0.74. Im down to 6,5x47 Lapua or 6mm BR. The only upside with 6,5x47 is the BC, otherwise I prefer the low recoil with 6BR. Feeding is no issue.

The game will be: varmint, fox, roe deer.

If I choose 6mmBR I have trouble deciding what twist rate I should go with. Is 1:8 too fast in a 22 inch barrel? will I get enought speed with 105 VLD to enjoy their BC at 400 yard? Or should I go with 1:10/1:9 and shoot 87-95 grain bullets? Also, if I choose 1:8 and freebore for long 105 vld it might be a problem to shoot 75 grain Vmax for shorter distance varminting?

Inputs wanted :)

Just sayin' ...... I shoot 107 grain Sierra MKs in my 6BR 1:8 with great success; well under .5 MOA. My barrel length is 27 inches so I can't speak to the shorter barrel you're considering. Frankly, I wouldn't rely on those little 87 - 95 grain pills for any type of varmint shooting.
suum cuique gun)

I switched to a br a couple years ago and have never looked back. It is by far the best round I have ever seen . Your thoughts on how to set it up are almost identical to what I have. I have a ten twist in a 24" krieger #5 contour that won't shoot over a 1/2 in group no matter what you feed it. 1/4 inch is the norm. That contour seems to work well with a 24" tube , and does not seem whippy. You may consider a 1-8 twist as it will not affect accuracy of the lighter bullets. Berger 80g bullets love a 1-8 twist. I don't know if you'll get the velocity you want for a 105 , but a 80-95g bullet would be my pick. As far as free bore my first barrel I did was throated for flat base 80g and when I tried a 105 vld it seated to almost the same spot ( both pressure rings just above the neck shoulder junction). This must be due to the ogive of the vld , making it ride further into the bore to hit the lands. If I could do it again I'd take a 8 twist with a 24" barrel throated for 95s and shoot any bullet I wanted to out of it. A br will feed fine in a remington. Just load it to the front of the magazine.
If you want any more info just send me a message. Also there's more info than you could ever want at 6br.com or accurate shooter. Warning a 6 Br may lead to a dasher

K Redden

I have 6BR with 105 gr Berger. It is very accurate and I use it for PR shooting matches.

Recommend heavier bullet, like 105gr.
My twist rate is 7.5" at 28 inch barrel. Shoot under 1/4" group. Very little recoil.

I shot a buck at 166 meters with 105gr.

I have a 6 BR and it has superb accuracy and LR performance with the 105 Match target hybrid from a 1 in 8 twist. I don't believe it is quite enough for deer unless quite close.

I vote for the 6.5 x 47 Lapua. You can get similar velocity to the 6 BR with the heavier higher BC 130s an 140s which I believe would perform better on deer sized game.

I switched to a br a couple years ago and have never looked back. It is by far the best round I have ever seen . Your thoughts on how to set it up are almost identical to what I have. I have a ten twist in a 24" krieger #5 contour that won't shoot over a 1/2 in group no matter what you feed it. 1/4 inch is the norm. That contour seems to work well with a 24" tube , and does not seem whippy. You may consider a 1-8 twist as it will not affect accuracy of the lighter bullets. Berger 80g bullets love a 1-8 twist. I don't know if you'll get the velocity you want for a 105 , but a 80-95g bullet would be my pick. As far as free bore my first barrel I did was throated for flat base 80g and when I tried a 105 vld it seated to almost the same spot ( both pressure rings just above the neck shoulder junction). This must be due to the ogive of the vld , making it ride further into the bore to hit the lands. If I could do it again I'd take a 8 twist with a 24" barrel throated for 95s and shoot any bullet I wanted to out of it. A br will feed fine in a remington. Just load it to the front of the magazine.
If you want any more info just send me a message. Also there's more info than you could ever want at 6br.com or accurate shooter. Warning a 6 Br may lead to a dasher

K Redden

Thank you! I have closed the 6,5x47 sidetrack and is back on 6br. Have you tried 90 and 95 grain vld in your 1:10 twist barrel? I've read so much about twist rate and bullets so I dont know inside out. Berger says one thing and then shooters say another thing "from the reallity". Like 95 Berger vld works fine in 1:10 barrels. But 1:8 sure is a allround twist.

Yeah the 6 dasher looks good but right now fireforming and custom dies is not an option.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts