6mm Dasher

Varmint Hunter

I've got a semi-custom Rem 40X rifle in 22-243 that I'm going to rebarrel soon. I've always been interested in owning/shooting a 6mm Dasher. The rifle will not be used for competition. I just want an accurate rifle that can shoot small groups @ 400yds-600yds or for ringing steel for fun. I'm also looking for something with looong barrel life.

Fireforming the 6mm BR case in a Dasher chamber apparently shortens the brass notably. Does the excessive space in the chamber create problems; carbon or jacket fouling build up, or other issues?

At the distance I intend to use the rifle; would I just be better off shooting the standard 6mm BR without using an "improved" version?

Then there is the option of chambering for the newer Norma 6mm Dasher brass which has the shoulder moved forward but maintains a long neck with no fireforming necessary. Possibly the best of both worlds. Presumably the long neck will help reduce throat erosion.

What do you guys think??

I have been tossing the same ideas around.
long barrel life
low recoil/easy to shoot
optimized for accuracy
available components, no special brass prep
will work in a repeater
this has me looking at the 6GT witch might be the better option
only downside is it is pretty new and not all the info available like the 6 dasher

Hmmm - I had to look that one up. :rolleyes: Interesting design but a bit more exotic than I'm interested in. The ability to function from a magazine seems to be a driving force in its design. I'm content with the single shot function of the 40X.

I've always been interested in owning/shooting a 6mm Dasher. I just want an accurate rifle that can shoot small groups @ 400yds-600yds or for ringing steel for fun. I'm also looking for something with looong barrel life.

Fireforming the 6mm BR case in a Dasher chamber apparently shortens the brass notably. Does the excessive space in the chamber create problems; carbon or jacket fouling build up, or other issues?

At the distance I intend to use the rifle; would I just be better off shooting the standard 6mm BR without using an "improved" version?

Then there is the option of chambering for the newer Norma 6mm Dasher brass which has the shoulder moved forward but maintains a long neck with no fireforming necessary. Possibly the best of both worlds. Presumably the long neck will help reduce throat erosion.

Dasher is an excellent round, if you've always wanted one, you should get one. Otherwise, you'll always be wondering, "what if....". Alpha is now making Dasher brass too. So, fireforming is a thing of the past if you so choose. I keep my chambers clean & have never had a problem. Tried all the different case forming methods as well. I currently prefer to hydroform first, then fire a stout BR/mild Dasher load for final shaping (I put together a Savage rifle, using my same reamer for fireforming cases).

The longer neck Norma Dasher brass is reportedly softer than the Lapua based cases and will not hold the same pressures before loosing primer pockets. Really no point in going that route over a Lapua 6 BR/AI (AKA - 6BRA) if you haven't already geared up for it. The 6BRA = Simple fireforming, retains longer neck & increased velocity over the standard BR round. Lots of good info on AccurateShooter.

As you mentioned, the straight BR will certainly achieve excellent accuracy for the distances you mention. In addition, will meet your desire for long barrel life.

FWIW- Once I shot my first Dasher, my other two BR's were sent out & rechambered as Dashers.

Decisions, decisions...

4-600 targets? I'd be apt to stick with the br. No screwing around, fireforming etc. load lapua brass and go. Additional performance needed? Tubbs 6xc is a good one too.

Tuned in for further info. I'm building one for a fun / budget minded bench gun out to 1k and occasional use in the stand for deer and hogs.

I just had a 26 inch bart spun up on a savage target action. I bought Lapua 6BR brass which has been hydro-formed into Dasher. Need to get a set of dies and get to working on the stock it's going to be bedded to.

My smith is a huge fan of it and says it's very easy to work with and that it loves Varget.

I recently (March) put a 6BR Shilen, 26" 8t on a Savage 10 action and love this little cartridge. For the past few years I've been shooting a 6.5-284 Norma, .300WinMag and .270 Allen Mag and I feel like this little 6BR has helped my LR game a lot.
I started refining my shooting form altogether once I saw what this cartridge was capable of. I had read up on it and secretly wanted one for years, once I got it, it really inspired me to shoot better. Those .1-.2" 3 & 5 shot groups at 100yds are addictive!, and of course it's just a matter of time before I had to "stretch it on out". The rifle shoots but you can't be a slouch about it, I figured out real quick I had to be on my A game.
I took a look at the way I had been shooting, especially at 1K and beyond, from breathing to changing my thumb hold on the stock grip, the way my rifles ride the rest/bags. I had gotten complacent.

All I can do is encourage you to get a 6BR (or variant of) - I don't think you will be disappointed.

Bra or brx version I believe can reach the same nodes the dasher usually settles in I believe. I can't remember which one, but with a little research you should be able find out

Bra or brx version I believe can reach the same nodes the dasher usually settles in I believe. I can't remember which one, but with a little research you should be able find out

Based on my research, the 6 BRA merely changes the shoulder angle and wouldn't increase velocity potential over the basic 6BR. No benefit for my use.
The BRX keeps the original shoulder angle but increases case volume. Apparently done to use standard 6BR dies. I don't have any dies yet so the BRX doesn't seem to be any benefit over the much more common 6mm Dasher. Either needs to be fireformed (or hydroed).

Forming brass is easy. Mine shot under 1/2" forming brass . But you can now buy alpha munitions 6mm dasher brass as well.

I just picked up the barreled action today from the FFL and mocked it up with a gen II PST 5-25. Lots of work to do here but I've had this stock laying around for years with plans for a fun bench rifle. As is it sits it weighs 15 pounds without the suppressor. Looking to get it close to 17 when done.

20191226_160713.jpg

20191226_161654.jpg

Based on my research, the 6 BRA merely changes the shoulder angle and wouldn't increase velocity potential over the basic 6BR. No benefit for my use.

Everybody I shoot with says they hit 2950+ FPS with their BRA's. Which is ~100-ish FPS faster than the usual 6BR load. 28-30" barrels. These are average speeds. We all know there are exceptions, some barrels are faster than others, some guys shoot extra hot loads, blah, blah, blah.

I'm at 3030-3050 FPS with my different Dasher barrels.

-Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.