6mm Dasher Repeater for Varmints ? ?

300magman

I'm thinking of putting together a varmint gun that I can also shoot at some 300-600 yard matchs.

I have 6mm Dasher in mind, but I'm wondering how well this cartridge works as a repeater, and if I will have trouble getting it to feed.

If the Dasher doesn't feed well from a mag, how about 6mm PPC or 6mm BR, do they feed any better?

If you're looking for a dependable and accurate repeater for your 6 Dasher, I would look up Gary Eliseo and build a tube gun. I think his shop's name is Competition Shooting here in California.

Kevin

I don't have any tube guns, but I do have two bolt action competition rifles in 6mBR and one in a 6 Dasher, all single shots. What action are you using? Have you talked to a gunsmith about the feeding issue? That would be my first step. Also - custom barrel? Tight neck?

Regarding the Dasher: You will need good sizer and seating dies. My Redding competition set cost $235.00 (only 2 dies). Then you need to learn how to create a false shoulder and fire form the brass. You will be able to get about another grain or so of powder in the case and maybe 150 fps more. For a varmint gun the standard 6mmBR will do fine for 500-1,000 yards. If you are re-barreling, look at the 22-250 Imp. or the 6XC.

take a look at the 6x47 lapua you may have better luck using this case as a repeater

+1 on the 6XC. Seeing it is based on the 22-250 case necked up it would be a perfect candidate for feeding from a magazine. Dave Tubb did a ton of work on perfecting this round. There is a source for brass, reamers dies etc all worked out. It even fits most standard magzines with a 115 DTAC bullet (BC of .585) with room to chase the rifling. FYI I want to rebarrel a rifle and this is my top choice.

Read about it here: 6XC Cartridge Guide

As far as feeding, you won't have any problems. My friend has several repeaters built off remington actions. Richard Schatz "Duke of Dashers". I think he has won a few titles with his comp. rifle also:rolleyes:.

Brent

That's fantastic news...dashers actually feed! :D Always nice to know an idea is possible, even if I don't end up going with it.

Don't rule out the 6X47lapua, I competed with one in F-class for awhile(repeater). They are easy to reload for and do about the same vel. with alittle more powder. I shot 115Dtacs with 41.2gr VV560 and got 3050fps. Like others mentioned the longer case may have an advantage feeding. My 6X47lapua fed flawlessly. I culled many whitetail does and coyotes with it when I had it.

If it was me I would check into dies, brass etc. It comes down to reloading IMO. How knowledgeable you are and how much time you want to spend prepping brass etc.

When I had my 6X47lapua I bought forester comp. die set for about $80 necked down 6.5X47lapua brass and went out and started shooting. The dasher you have more work involved.

If you want to see some hunting results with the 6X47lapua, look up 308nate here, he has alot of experience with them. He uses one for F-class and hunting.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.